TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
dalabera

Tivo Video Player Native App?

Hello,
I'm just new to Tivo and have the simple question about a Native App inside Tivo. Are developers allow to create an app that plays videos? Either internally or on your the network.

I just think that this route of using your pc and installing third party products is not ideal. For example I have a WD Live streamer that plays everything on a share or external HD.
dalabera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
tlp95129

If you install TiVo's TiVo Desktop Plus, you can just drop your videos into a pre-assigned folder and they will be transferred (pushed) to your TiVo, and transcoded if necessary. Alternatively, if the files are Mpeg2 video you can just drop them into your My TiVo Recordings folder and they will show up on your Now Playing list under your PC's machine name.
tlp95129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalabera View Post
Hello,
I'm just new to Tivo and have the simple question about a Native App inside Tivo. Are developers allow to create an app that plays videos? Either internally or on your the network.

I just think that this route of using your pc and installing third party products is not ideal. For example I have a WD Live streamer that plays everything on a share or external HD.
Are you talking about getting the TiVo to play something originally recorded on some other device, or getting something originally recorded on the TiVo onto some other device in playable form?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
dalabera

No exactly, but can anyone create an application that gets installed in the TiVo and then you can use it from the TiVo central?
So it shows there like any other app like Netflix or youtube.
dalabera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
lpwcomp

There's no way to install your own s/w on a TiVo, at least not on any recent models. There is a way to create a program that runs on the PC but is accessible by the TiVo

I think what everyone is asking is: What do you want this s/w to do that can't be done now? IOW, what functionality would you be adding?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote