Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sense8 (S01E03) "Smart Money's on the Skinny Bitch"

I loved the old woman on the Van Damme bus. It was an interesting fight sequence with how they're cutting across the different characters, though I'm curious where they're going with the apparent similar scenarios the characters are in -- as in Will at the shooting range then helping shoot the gun, and Sun while she was in the fight ring then helping the hand-to-hand fighting with Capheus.

And I am liking the way the episodes end so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dswallow; 06-06-2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Actor vs. Character name
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
It was an interesting fight sequence with how they're cutting across the different characters, though I'm curious where they're going with the apparent similar scenarios the characters are in -- as in Will at the shooting range then helping shoot the gun, and Sun while she was in the fight ring then helping the hand-to-hand fighting with Aml.
Yeah, that seemed a little on-the-nose...on the other hand, it was a beautifully-done scene, and it really sharpened the connections among the characters, so I'll let them have a little dramatic license.

The look of savage glee on Sun's face when she realized that "she" was going to fight some thugs for real was fun. Does she have super-strength, or is her brother's receptionist's desk just really cheap?

The way they credit the directors is interesting, since nobody "directs" a particular episode...the different directors each handled the scenes in specific locations, and all the directors worked on all the episodes. But I know DGA rules forbid co-directors under most circumstances (which is why Robert Rodriguez quit after they wouldn't let Frank Miller be co-director for Sin City), and perhaps there are money issues as well (apparently the Warshawskis did most of the directing, but maybe if they all got equal credit they would all have to get equal pay?). So I guess they just divvied up the episodes based on how much each director did on the series as a whole.

Hollywood credits are weird. Then again, I guess you don't need "credits" in that sentence...

Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Cainebj

I thought that fight scene was amazingly well done.
The characters entering into each other's lives at the right moment - well. I'm sold.

He is Van Damme!

I would like to kick Netflix's ass for the spoiler photo going into episode 4.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Peter000

Getting tired of a two minute title sequence.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I don't even pay attention to title sequences. Watch them the first episode, then FF through them after that.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Cainebj

If you are binge watching a series Netflix usually starts the next episode at the end of the titles. It has been curious that they are not with this. I actually have been watching them - there is SO much in the quick cuts.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I don't even pay attention to title sequences. Watch them the first episode, then FF through them after that.

FFing in Netflix doesn't work very well, at least for me.

This series is so slow in practically every aspect. Unnecessarily so IMO.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post

It pays off. Big-time.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
First and foremost it's a character relationship story. You simply have to get to know the characters for the story to come together in later episodes. It may seem slow, but I think you'll come to find it's rather rich and you aren't yet realizing it because you haven't gotten the context for it from the later episodes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
First and foremost it's a character relationship story. You simply have to get to know the characters for the story to come together in later episodes. It may seem slow, but I think you'll come to find it's rather rich and you aren't yet realizing it because you haven't gotten the context for it from the later episodes.
So very this.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Craigbob

Watched Ep. 2 last night on the big screen, and ep 3 via my phone on the train into work this morning.

I'm liking this. Yeah it started out slow and confusing, but I really loved EP 3. Even though I could figure out what was coming, the fight between Capheus and the gang was great. I loved how they switched between Will and the shooting and Sun and the fight.

Still not getting a good feel for the role of Lito, Riley or Wolfgang in the bigger picture, and I'm guessing Sun is covering up something for her brother and the other bank.

I absolutely loved how they handled Lito, Hernando and Daniella.

The Indian bride story line is just boring as crap to me. But I'm sure it will all make sense by the end.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, that seemed a little on-the-nose...on the other hand, it was a beautifully-done scene, and it really sharpened the connections among the characters, so I'll let them have a little dramatic license.

The look of savage glee on Sun's face when she realized that "she" was going to fight some thugs for real was fun. Does she have super-strength, or is her brother's receptionist's desk just really cheap?

The way they credit the directors is interesting, since nobody "directs" a particular episode...the different directors each handled the scenes in specific locations, and all the directors worked on all the episodes. But I know DGA rules forbid co-directors under most circumstances (which is why Robert Rodriguez quit after they wouldn't let Frank Miller be co-director for Sin City), and perhaps there are money issues as well (apparently the Warshawskis did most of the directing, but maybe if they all got equal credit they would all have to get equal pay?). So I guess they just divvied up the episodes based on how much each director did on the series as a whole.

Hollywood credits are weird. Then again, I guess you don't need "credits" in that sentence...
I did not know this is how the directing worked. Thanks for the info. Do you know who did what? I'm going to go ahead and assume that Tom Tykwer did the scenes in Germany.

ETA: Never mind, I see that they are listed on the show's Wikipedia article

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
ETA: Never mind, I see that they are listed on the show's Wikipedia article
Interesting read. This has probably already been discussed in a thread here, but I was happy to read this part:
Quote:
Straczynski hopes that the series will consist of five seasons. Before filming began Straczynski and the Wachowskis mapped out five seasons worth of stories for the series, including the series' final episode. Straczynski compiled a 30-page document detailing the key points of a hypothetical second season. The actors cast were signed for five seasons. "We pitched it as a five-year story. We've mapped out five seasons of this thing, our actor deals are being made for five seasons, five or six depending on the breaks," said Straczynski.

DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
If you are binge watching a series Netflix usually starts the next episode at the end of the titles. It has been curious that they are not with this. I actually have been watching them - there is SO much in the quick cuts.
The credits seem to run VERY long - and it was probably part of a deal with the show creators, so people realize how much went into making this.

Quote:
I'm curious where they're going with the apparent similar scenarios the characters are in -- as in Will at the shooting range then helping shoot the gun, and Sun while she was in the fight ring then helping the hand-to-hand fighting with Capheus.
Personally, I think it has to do with their minds' openness to a connection from the others - when they are in a similar situation, their minds find it easier to connect. I imagine this won't really be necessary as time goes on and their connections get stronger.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX View Post
The credits seem to run VERY long - and it was probably part of a deal with the show creators, so people realize how much went into making this.
For my own edification, I'd like to see an annotated version of the opening credits where the various places/buildings are labeled.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
ej42137

Quote:

Left-click three times on FF, count to three and hit play.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #17
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
For my own edification, I'd like to see an annotated version of the opening credits where the various places/buildings are labeled.
I was thinking the same. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already made one.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

I totally buy that Lito is gay.
Because Daniella is incredibly hot.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #19
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I was thinking the same. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already made one.

I just found it posted in an annotated imgur album (there was a post about it in a subreddit):

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/kRKHd

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote