TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
ufo4sale

Is this anything to get excited about???

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/offici...160054697.html
Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
In the Early Adopter release, we support content from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter, Vine, and Instagram with more video sources added all the time.
Lame!

You can get a Chromecast for $15 cheaper that's smaller and supports more services. Their only real selling point is the aggregation, but with the services they support I'm not sure how useful that really would be.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
ufo4sale

All I needed to hear thanks man.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I want a streaming device that plays only the specific video I want played at that time. What I most definitely don't want is something that plays an endless lineup of videos that may (or may not) be interesting.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
supasta

Quote:
QPlay organizes everything around queues, or Qs, as the company likes to call the. Queues are essentially playlists for videos, some of which are automatically generated based on RSS and Twitter feeds, while others are curated by Qplay’s users.

Queues play nonstop, which is supposed to create a more lean-back, TV-like experience.
No. Thank. You.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

So the exact opposite of what TiVo does. While TiVo tries to make live TV more on demand, this product is trying to make on demand content more like live TV. Brilliant!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
cannonz

Sounds like a video radio, have to listen to a-hole dj's that think they are funny commercials and crap just hoping something you want to hear is played eventually.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

How long before they start inserting forced commercials between videos on this new device?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
siratfus

I actually like the idea. I like things on demand when I know what I want, but mindlessly surfing tv is still a guilty pleasure. With our viewing habits, it's to each his own, and Qplay is actually pretty close to catering to my habits. Take for example Twilight Zone marathon tradition on New Years eve. My family loves it. The tube is on while we go about doing our thing, playing board games, or whatever. The marathon is playing in the background one right after another like your favorite music station. I have a season pass to the Twilight Zone, and sometimes I like to hit the "play all" in this folder to have my own marathon. I've thought about the idea of custom tv for a very long time, way before Qplay. Channels that are running the things you're interested in 24/7. It would be neat to surf to my twilight zone channel, or sitcoms of the 80's like TvLand, but customize to run only the sitcoms I want. Blackbelt tv from the 80's, 24/7 of Kung Fu dub goodness. LOL! On demand means knowing what you want, and knowing the title. I don't know all the titles to kung fu dub movies, and I don't always want to be searching, adding, or setting up recordings. It would be great to have a channel constantly recommending and streaming kung fu flix. Qplay has the right idea, I'm just not sure of the content available.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So the exact opposite of what TiVo does. While TiVo tries to make live TV more on demand, this product is trying to make on demand content more like live TV. Brilliant!
So what's the difference...lol
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
I actually like the idea. ..

...Qplay has the right idea, I'm just not sure of the content available.
I like the idea too. It is a bit like XM radio though in a way. The usefulness is largely contingent on the availability of suitable materials, and hence possible roadblocks. I would probably sort through their options first, and then pull out something that I have already saved prior to that in my collection.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I haven't watched live TV on purpose in 13 years. I bought TiVo so everything could be ondemand. Even without commercials the whole idea of things just randomly playing back to back is not appealing to me at all.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
HarperVision

Quote:
I haven't watched live TV on purpose in 13 years. I bought TiVo so everything could be ondemand. Even without commercials the whole idea of things just randomly playing back to back is not appealing to me at all.
wow you've never turned on the news when a big event was happening or watched ANY Super Bowls live in the last 13 years?!?!?!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
JosephB

Quote:
I actually would really, really like this. One reason I haven't cut out my cable subscription, aside from not wanting to have to pirate half the shows I watch, is that I still enjoy having the option of sitting down and browsing through what is on TV at a given time. There is almost always a movie or show that I want to watch that is on "live" when I don't necessarily have something to watch from the DVR.

The problem with the new "QPlay" device is that it can't do that with ANY of the content I would want it to. I want a device/service that will know what I like that is available on Netflix, Hulu, my local files, stuff recorded on my TiVo, Amazon, and then if you have time left over you can put youtube and vimeo content. Youtube and Vimeo content is literally the last thing I care about on my TV.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
wow you've never turned on the news when a big event was happening or watched ANY Super Bowls live in the last 13 years?!?!?!
There may have been a few times I turned on the news because of some sort of event. But that doesn't really count since I'm watching something specific not channel surfing.

I have not watched a superbowl live in that time though. I'm not really a sports guy so most of the time I don't even watch the superbowl, but when I do I watch it delayed because I want to be able to skip the commercials and/or FF through the boring parts.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Higher priority stuff gets Tivo'd. This is mostly for things I want to preserve, like movies. Then there are time I will surf for stuff to have on as background noise while I am working. Basically I don't want to fill up my Tivo with a bunch of background noise. For my tastes, there is already an unlimited supply of that whenever I want.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #17
wtherrell

Quote:
This!
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #18
siratfus

Speaking of which... How hard would it be for Google to come up with an app like Qplay? They are ahead of the game with their chromecast already out in the wild.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #19
Bigg

Yeah... NO. There are already a zillion different streaming devices out. I haven't gotten a Chromecast yet, as I already have Apple TV, Roku, a smart TV, smart Blu-Ray player, and an HTPC. I don't really need yet another box.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Dead already:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/19/qplay-shutdown/

Quote:
TiVo's co-founders launched their Qplay service in hopes of becoming the central hub for all your online video viewing. Unfortunately, it looks like that media utopia wasn't meant to be. Just three months after its official debut, Qplay has revealed that it's shutting down; it's "not possible" to run the service any longer, the team says.

LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Perhaps it was just a tax write off endeavor? Seems rather quick for new product concept to be born and die so quickly. Did they even release anything to retail?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #22
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Perhaps it was just a tax write off endeavor? Seems rather quick for new product concept to be born and die so quickly. Did they even release anything to retail?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZRqH7sRyA
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #23
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
LOL! Yes, a a."write" off, it's a luxery of those who have considerable personal income and much time to explore a concept or business venture that normal midclass income people don't have the luxery of doing. Don't get me wrong as it better to try and fail than to never try but there are tax income incentives if done properly.

There are many business ventures I would love to try, I'm just a few million short for the start up capital!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
trip1eX

Quote:
There may have been a few times I turned on the news because of some sort of event. But that doesn't really count since I'm watching something specific not channel surfing.

I have not watched a superbowl live in that time though. I'm not really a sports guy so most of the time I don't even watch the superbowl, but when I do I watch it delayed because I want to be able to skip the commercials and/or FF through the boring parts.
Really? The Superbowl is the only event where I don't mind watching commercials.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
tomhorsley

I'm not interested in a streaming device that can't stream video/music from my own computer on my own local network. As near as I can tell, this means I'm not interested in any streaming devices, because all of them seem to exist only for the purpose of getting you to pay subscription fees for online "cloud" services. I know a couple of hackers got chromecast working from local sources, only google plugged that hole on the next release.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
Chris Gerhard

This sounded a lot like the Frequency app I use with Google TV. I love that app and although it could be used to continuously play videos from all of the sources I have chosen, I don't ever do that, I just play the videos I want, it is easy to scroll down and select each one. I don't even recall all of the sources, news, sports, YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, etc. I selected but I rarely go to most of those sites now, I just let Frequency aggregate the new additions for me.

I did think QPlay would be DOA when I read about it some time ago.
Chris Gerhard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #27
JSY

The Qs feature is really going to be the real thing that sets it apart from other streaming boxes, and even though the article says that it organizes everything in Qs - I will find it hard to believe that you won't have an option where you just choose one video and only one video to play.

Has anyone used Frequency before? I have that app on my Samsung TV and basically you choose the sources and it just plays videos from the sources continuously. You're able to skip to the next video if you want, etc. Qs seem to work similar and sometimes there is an appeal to it.

Edit: DOH! I posted this before reading the post right above this one. Ooops!
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #28
siratfus

Yep, Frequency is cool.