TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Booman70

SD-DVR40 can't get dvr service activated

I have gotten another sd-dvr40 upgraded with ptv net and instantcake 6.4 on a brand new 160 gb maxtor. I don't have a landline so I did setup then brought to my fathers house it makes its calls without satellite hook up and then when I bring it home it won't allow me to record it says dvr service isn't active call dtv. Am I missing something I thought I didn't need satellite hooked up while doing phone call but after phone call it says account is closed because it gets no satellite signal.
Booman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Was this DVR40 already active on your DirecTV account?
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Booman70

I was able to get dtv to activate it cuz my old one was dying. I figured out it was in the satellite settings I went through them and now it works. Dtv will activate older used tivo as long as they have rid and aren't blocked for some reason.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

that sounds like a billing code error on your dtv account, or the access card hasn't gotten an authorization "hit" from the sat. the age of the equipment might have caused an equipment setup error on your account, you need an experienced tech rep (preferably from their denver call center).

call dtv tech support back while the box is hooked up to the sat, insist on a supervisor, and best of luck - they really don't want you keeping this box in circulation.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
nmiller855

My DirecTivos suddenly quit working June 18 & I got the account closed error message. The person claimed it was a glitch in the system & promised me it would never happen again. Fast forward to yesterday morning. I was trying to check the weather channel when I saw that it had happened again. Luckily I caught it within a couple of hours because I rarely watch live TV.
The customer service person I spoke to said he would have to send me out 2 new cards & although they would try to send them overnight, they couldn't promise when I would actually get them. I asked for a supervisor & they said the person that supposedly 'fixed' my account last month had changed the model number on my Sony SAT-T60 to another model that is obsolete. He said they are making sweeps deactivating obsolete units & will only reactivate units that have previously been on your account.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Booman70

Well in early July I bought this tivo on eBay and they activated it for me and remarried my current card to it. My problem was in satellite setup went back through it and voila it is working. I wish I found out before I ran through three hard drives could have saved myself a lot of time.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
nmiller855

I'm glad it is working out for you.
I've had DirecTv since 1999 & haven't really had any trouble until the last 6 months. Every time I call, I get a different answer to a problem & they say the previous person didn't know what they were doing & that they promise they will be the one to help me only to find out with the next call that theyndidn't know what they were talking about. One kid got really smart with me & hung up on me. I called back & asked for a supervisor that said they would pull the tape of the call & handle the situation. I don't know if they really did it
but they at least acted like they were concerned.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
Booman70

The csr's aren't usually very helpful they don't have much knowledge especially with tivo