TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
bradm23

TimeWarner Los Angeles Problems

I recently moved to Los Angeles bringing my Tivo HD box and upgrade by original series 3 to a Roamio, both of which require a tuning adapter for Time Warner cable in Los Angeles. The Time Warner people have been trying to get the tuning adapter to work for weeks without success. Last week there were three people in our apartment for over two hours and still no luck. The orange light on the tuning adapter never goes solid. From what I understand this is an issue with Time Warner and not the tivo per se, but nonetheless it's a problem for me since we are missing many channels. Has anyone else had this issue in Los Angeles or elsewhere? Any ideas how it can be resolved? I've been with Tivo since 2002, but if they can't figure out how to get the tuning adapter to work, then I may be forced to use their DVR.

Really hoping to stay with Tivo so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
bradm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

If the light never stops blinking, then it is either a problem with the tuning adapter itself, or a problem with other TWC equipment, or a signal issue that TWC needs to fix. Do you have the Motorola or Cisco tuning adapter? What firmware version is your tuning adapter running? What are the signal levels that the tuning adapter is showing in its diagnostics screen? How many different tuning adapters have they tried? And have all of the tuning adapters that have been tried all exhibited the same behavior where the light never stops blinking?

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-16-2014 at 09:59 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
--Scott--

I had a similar issue in Ohio. I had a TA that would never lock and a Cisco CableCard that would never sync. After many, many trips back and forth between the TWC store to pickup replacement CableCards and TA's no luck.

Until....I mentioned that my viewing area was a former Insight Communications location. Insight was acquired by TWC One of the TWC support people mentioned former Insight viewing areas are all Motorola-based and do not require a TA. I had to take a 40-minute drive to get a Motorola card, remove the TA...and viola....everything started working.

This is a very long way of saying you might want to look at the same. Even if your CableCard successfully syncs..you might not need a TA, especially if TWC can't sync it. What happens when it's removed?
--Scott-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
humbb

If you have a Roamio Basic, this post describes a possible similar problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r292...work-in-SoCal-

The OP eventually solved it by upgrading to a Roamio Plus according to his last post.
Hope this helps.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I had two TWC cable cards/tuning adapters. In 20 months I had 5 Motorola tuning adapter failures, well 3 failures and 2 DOA replacements. Several database failures in their end where they lost the the MAC addresses and cards pairing info that validated my card tuning adapter. Signal that was too hot, too low and frequent outages.

Basically I got tired pulled the cards and returned them and tuning adapters went OTA and streaming.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote