TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
john4200

Naked and Afraid - Season 3

This thread is for discussing any season 3 episodes that have been broadcast.

At this time, three episodes have aired:

S03E01 "Primal Fear" June 29, 2014
Lindsey Leitelt and Luke McLaughlin challenged in a dense harsh land in Namibia

S03E02 "Blood in the Water" July 6, 2014
Dani Julien and Justin Bullard stranded with starvation and tiny predators in the Bahamas' Andros islands.

S03E03 "Hearts of Darkness" July 13, 2014
Carrie and Tom survived with crocodiles and extreme heat in Cambodia.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Bob Coxner

#3. I think it took a lot of restraint for the guy not to use the machete for purposes other than chopping bamboo. The female was so irritating to me by the end that I was fastforwarding through her diary cam talks. She was hot looking but that was all she had going for her.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
jeepair

Its hard to view 21 days of activity in 1 hour, but I thought the guy was satisfied with just starving and sitting around 21 days and not actively looking for food. When I've watched surviorman or Bear Grylls, they always walk around their location looking for items which can make their survival easier.

Why don't we see they digging for worms and bugs?
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
DouglasPHill

Thats my gripe about this series, its all about loading up on food and water before you get there. Then starving for 21 days and how it affects your mind/body. It is a challenge, no question about it. I'd go for making it R rated and removing the blur. But thats me.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
philw1776

Episode 3: Both "survivors" really failed to do a creditable job. The guy needed to man up and provide some body heat. The woman was unbearable. Never pitched in. Her best contribution was the clams. Why the guy didn't set right out the next day or so for more clams was puzzling. I agree that he just seemed to decide to wimp out & wait out the 21 rather than hunt for anything, snakes included. Watching them interact was so unpleasant I cannot imaging how much worse it would have been to have been there. Any guy considering a relationship beyond 24 hours with that woman needs to watch the episode. Danger!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Episode 3: Both "survivors" really failed to do a creditable job. The guy needed to man up and provide some body heat. The woman was unbearable. Never pitched in. Her best contribution was the clams. Why the guy didn't set right out the next day or so for more clams was puzzling. I agree that he just seemed to decide to wimp out & wait out the 21 rather than hunt for anything, snakes included. Watching them interact was so unpleasant I cannot imaging how much worse it would have been to have been there. Any guy considering a relationship beyond 24 hours with that woman needs to watch the episode. Danger!
She has a nice hiney, though.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
She has a nice hiney, though.
+1
Old 07-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
AntiPC

She was a piece of work, but he brought some of it on himself. It struck me that this location wasn't particularly challenging compared to the snake filled swamp, mosquito infested jungle, damp rain forests with daily downpours, etc.

They used the machete and firestarter to make fire. They boiled drinking water in bamboo, which was smart. Beyond that, their efforts at shelter and hunting were lame at best. It seemed like the biggest challenge was the nights in the 50s, and Mr. Monogamous wasn't a team player there.
AntiPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
john4200

The thing that annoys me is how the editors insert footage of animals that were apparently nowhere near the competitors.

Whenever Carrie or Tom went to clam beach, the editors inserted footage of crocodiles in the water. But neither Carrie or Tom spotted a crocodile around there, and they did not even seem very worried about crocodiles.

If there were crocodiles nearby, the only reasonable thing I can think of that they could have done would be to both go to clam beach, and have one of them watching very carefully for approaching crocodile eyes while the other one was fishing for clams. But even that would be dangerous, and I wonder if the producers would have stopped them from even going into the water there if crocodiles were nearby. The speed that a crocodile can attack someone on the shore is shocking.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
philw1776

Finally, a guy who actually had survivor skills n the Nicaraguan rainforest episode 20 July. Liked the way the 2 very different people interacted and leveraged off each other. Both were intelligent, ego free, had a sense of humor and tolerated very opposite world views. A welcome respite from last weeks witch from hell and passive do nothing guy team.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Ment

I wasn't particularly impressed with the dudes skills in context of the show. Why can't they get people who can trap? Spearing, making hand weapons will never feed you in the place they go, a person who has 'hunting' skills is useless in that arena.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Anyone else notice the big bunch of bananas behind the pair next to the cave? They may not have been ripe or otherwise useful, but it illustrates one of my main gripes about this show. They spend so much time with breathless narration and replaying stuff over and over and leave out tons of details I really want to know about.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Finally, a guy who actually had survivor skills n the Nicaraguan rainforest episode 20 July. Liked the way the 2 very different people interacted and leveraged off each other. Both were intelligent, ego free, had a sense of humor and tolerated very opposite world views. A welcome respite from last weeks witch from hell and passive do nothing guy team.
This is the best pairing the show has ever had. I really liked both of them and thought they did well. I would not have been surprised if the relationship grew after they returned but I guess it really was just a good friendship.

The show was a good example of not judging a book by its cover. My first impressions of the guy were not optimistic - southern redneck who loves to kill things. He turned out to be a lot more complex, in a good way. I could see myself hanging out with him.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
This is the best pairing the show has ever had. I really liked both of them and thought they did well. I would not have been surprised if the relationship grew after they returned but I guess it really was just a good friendship.
I think she was a lot more into him than he was her. At least it seemed that way with the way they edited it. Only the two of them know what really went on out there when the film crew left for the day.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I wasn't particularly impressed with the dudes skills in context of the show. Why can't they get people who can trap? Spearing, making hand weapons will never feed you in the place they go, a person who has 'hunting' skills is useless in that arena.
Yeah...hunting skills don't really translate very good to this show. Take away the gun and you really don't have anything usefull in this situation.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
2004raptor

Speaking of that, I wonder if contestants are allowed to bring some type of firearm or bow and arrow. Not that there is typically large game from what I've seen. Just curious if it's forbidden.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

They'd probably worry that the guy that hated his partner a couple episodes ago would find an easy solution for both his hunger and annoying partner.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
DouglasPHill

Ouch
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
john4200

Considering that they sleep right next to each other, you'd hardly need such a high-powered weapon. Any blade could do the job.

I did not understand why Adam and Jaclyn could not find some leaves with water in them on their second day, considering that it rained all night and there were plenty of big-leaf plants around.

I thought that Jaclyn got a much higher PSR than she deserved as compared to Adam who was a great survivor. Anyone going into one of these things who is not willing to kill and eat whatever is available is just foolish. Even though near the end she finally ate a bite of lizard, that was too little too late.

Other than not finding water in leaves (or planning ahead to have dry firewood after the rain) on the 2nd day, Adam was impressive. He was cheerful and encouraging to Jaclyn the entire way to the waterfall, despite not having had water for 2 days. He even maintained his cheerful disposition as Jaclyn repeatedly refused to eat the meat that he caught.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
If I had to pick a guy from this show to live on an island with, so far, it would be Adam (more because of his disposition) or possibly the kinda mean guy that has showed up twice (I think he was in Season 1 and then again in Season 2 to replace the couple that tapped out due to mosquito bites when they set camp in the worst possible spot). Nobody else has impressed me much.

Mind you, I'd be the scared girl crying in whatever makeshift shelter the guy built for me. The mean guy would probably scare me out of the shelter and Adam would probably encourage and coax me out.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #21
philw1776

He was mean? I didn't see that at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #22
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe "gruff" is the more correct word. I'd have to watch again, it's been awhile, but that's my recollection of him.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
Maybe "gruff" is the more correct word. I'd have to watch again, it's been awhile, but that's my recollection of him.
yeah that was Laura Zerra and E.J. Snyder in the Amazon as replacements, first episode of season 2 where he talked about the dark troll in the closet and they had the 'respect the animals' talk about killing the eel. Both of them kicked ass.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #24
philw1776

Laure & EJ were clearly the best pair.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #25
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Speaking of that, I wonder if contestants are allowed to bring some type of firearm or bow and arrow. Not that there is typically large game from what I've seen. Just curious if it's forbidden.
I'd like to see them allow it at least once, just to demonstrate how useful a .22 could be in a survival situation. Other than fish and crab traps, primitive trapping doesn't seem realistic for a novice or a hobby survivalist like most of these people seem to be.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #26
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
yeah that was Laura Zerra and E.J. Snyder in the Amazon as replacements, first episode of season 2 where he talked about the dark troll in the closet and they had the 'respect the animals' talk about killing the eel.
That was so stupid. As stupid as when someone thanks an animal for giving its life. And the show docked the man in his survival rating for her freak out. Absurd.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #27
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Jebus, this week's show in Argentina was just brutal. I can't imagine being cold like that for three weeks. It was also a bummer that we finally get a contestant who knows about traps, but the weather pretty much kills his chances.

Doctor lady had the perfect temperament for her partner. I'll bet she's a rock star around the office nowadays.

meh
Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #28
Ment

Wet cold then bugs are the worst issues they will encounter in NAF. I thought guy was going to go off his rocker when he want head to toe in mud.

Didn't think it was wise to try and carry all the bark they way they did. Maybe dry out however many sheets they could tie up and strap on their back or something...dragging that wet bark just about killed them.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #29
john4200

Did I miss it, or did they not show Tom and Lisa taking a single drink of water or talking about where they were getting their water during their entire 21 days in Argentina?

Sometimes the editing on this show is just terrible. They show certain scenes 3 or 4 times, but then they completely ignore things that are essential to survival.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #30
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Water fell from the sky regularly for the whole 3 weeks. I'd guess one of the first things they did when they picked their campsite was toss some large leaves out to catch rain and after that drinking water was the least of their problems.

meh