TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Cainebj

Project Runway - Season 14 (2015) Spoilers

Is anyone else still watching Project Runway? Season 14 started last night.
PR and Tim Gunn always feel like comfort food to me.

Some good contestants -
As always - glad I watched The Road to the Runway special beforehand to get to know who is who.

I was surprised by who they voted out - and the Asian woman's design - that was hard to call because that is JUST the kind of thing that you think sucks but then the judges rave about it.

Best line of the night from Tim Gunn - you all have coal up your butts, get it out and turn it into a diamond. (paraphrasing) - I was rolling on the floor laughing. I love Tim Gunn.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Merrier

I absolutely hated that yellow tent she made. His design was meh, but at least it didn't totally look like a mistake.

Merrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I was surprised and a little bummed that they got rid of that cutie from New Zealand-
I half-expected that woman from Haiti to ask him to leave his supplies for her to use!
Man, her constant singing and talking were so obnoxious and distracting...but her outfit came together at the end.
Looks like a good season ahead-lots of drama to be sure-don't know her name, Amanda maybe-the young woman who was hating on EVERYONE...geez, girl, take a pill!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I do not get what the judges were thinking.

Seriously, that boxy dress and over-jacket? I could make wadders like that in junior high. (And as bad as my taste is, it isn't THAT bad.)

But we've seen before that they'll keep or award something that looks like it was thrown together out of a cheap tablecloth instead of something that could be fixed with a bit more tweaking, so I don't know why I should be surprised.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Azlen

I wonder if what Duncan said about his vision, or lack thereof, had more to do with his leaving than his design did.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Bob Coxner

I think it was more than Duncan was just out of school and they didn't think he would impress in the future. I was disappointed that Tim didn't stand up for him after raving about it in his critique.

I totally agree that the Asian almost little person should have been the one to go.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow, Edmond screwed up at just the wrong time. And with the music they were playing, I kept expecting to see the "Tim Gunn save" come out. But no, the judges held their ground and sent him home for that snooze-fest of a dress.

It's a darn shame, but that dress was elimination worthy. I hope they had let him make a collection as a decoy. I'd love to see what he can do with some time.

lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Wow, Edmond screwed up at just the wrong time. And with the music they were playing, I kept expecting to see the "Tim Gunn save" come out. But no, the judges held their ground and sent him home for that snooze-fest of a dress.
I wouldn't count that out...

Old 10-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I wouldn't count that out...
Oh heavens, you're right. They didn't have the traditional "cleaning of the workspace".

lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I didn't notice that they hadn't aired the 'clearing of the workspace' scene. I expected that no matter what they showed us on air, that E would still get to go to FW as a decoy designer.

And I guess I know too many costumers, but OMG, how do you possibly decide to make a corset as part of a long red-carpet dress and NOT get metal boning for it? How expensive would the metal boning have been?

Buy BOTH plastic and metal, so if you find out at the last minute that the plastic won't do the job, you can swap it out. Jeez.

Hidden in case some of you haven't seen season 3:
Spoiler:
But of course, I'm the person who would have voted for Kayne's dress over that yellow "I wrapped up my model in an ugly tablecloth" monstrosity of Jeffrey's in Season 3 episode 9, so what do I know?

Old 11-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #11
cmgal

Oh, please give me a break. Ashley wins it? Her designs have been awful from the beginning and it was obvious that PR was going to hand it to her no matter what. None of her garments flattered the full-size figure. Edmund or Kelly should have won.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #12
Cainebj

well.

I wish Kelly from the Deli had won myself - but it was becoming clear as the episode progressed that Ashley's full size thing was going to win for no reason other than it was a full size collection.

I also loved Candace's collection and work - not sure why they kept saying it was costume-y - that's her style. I found that one comment that she watered herself down for the judges revealing - I would have loved to have seen it full blown over the top with the wood dress and hoop skirt...

Old 11-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgal View Post
Oh, please give me a break. Ashley wins it? Her designs have been awful from the beginning and it was obvious that PR was going to hand it to her no matter what. None of her garments flattered the full-size figure. Edmund or Kelly should have won.
No, it wasn't obvious that PR was going to hand to her no matter what.

If I had to characterize this season, I would call it the Race to the Bottom. The designer who would win was the one of the four who shot themselves in the foot the least. Whether you would have chosen Kelly over Ashley is not the issue. The judges were correct in picking Kelly and Ashley as the top two designers, because they were the two that presented work that 'read' as collections showing their own point of view, instead of just a random assemblage of looks that were sent down the runway.

I liked Edmund's work during the season, and it would have been cool if he had won, but he wasn't going to do it with that group of garments.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
well.

I wish Kelly from the Deli had won myself - but it was becoming clear as the episode progressed that Ashley's full size thing was going to win for no reason other than it was a full size collection.

I also loved Candace's collection and work - not sure why they kept saying it was costume-y - that's her style. I found that one comment that she watered herself down for the judges revealing - I would have loved to have seen it full blown over the top with the wood dress and hoop skirt...
No, Ashley didn't win it because they wanted to give it to her for being a plus-size collection. Go back and listen to the comments again.

I think it was Heidi that said she liked some of Kelly's looks, like the long wood-grain dress with the matching fanny pack. But the whole collection wasn't as strong as that look.

I think Tim put his finger right on it when he said that the flesh-colored mesh was bringing the collection down, and suggested that she get some other colors of mesh to experiment with, just to see how the same silhouette would look completely different with a different color of semi-transparent fabric.

I understand that Kelly wanted it because she wanted to bring in a color close to her wood-grain fabric, but there was too much of it in the collection. It's not Kelly's fault that fleshy-colored mesh screams "bad figure skating costume" but that's what happens. Too much mesh of any color screams "bad figure skating costume" so you really have to keep the amount you use under control.

If I had been able to whisper in Candace's ear, I would have told her to listen to what the judges actually said instead of reacting to what she heard.

Her collection was so San Francisco -- as if the Japanese Tea Garden and the leather contingents of the Pride Parade had fallen in love and produced a version of Beach Blanket Babylon. Not that there's anything WRONG with that -- but she needed to edit. Instead, she gutted it.

Let the over-the-top pieces walk down the runway by themselves -- let the stripped down pieces carry some of the over-the-top accessories. It was the combination of the ornate pieces with the over-the-top accessories that sent the judges into conniptions.

For the three pieces she sent out for the preview, I would have liked to see what would have happened if the models had swapped coats, so that the black outfit had the cherry blossom coat on top, and the cherry-blossom outfit had the black coat on top. It wouldn't have worked with those particular garments, because I don't think the silhouettes were right, but if she had mixed up the garments in that way, she could have gotten a mix of hard-and-soft going that would have been more interesting than just leather ... leather ... and more leather.

It's a pity that she didn't send a couple of her wood-sculpture pieces down the runway with the stripped-down looks.

My own personal PR test is whether a designer makes me want to buy a piece despite the fact that their taste is completely different from my own. By that metric, no one won PR this year. Individual pieces, yes, but is there a whole collection I crave? No.

Last edited by murgatroyd; 11-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Uther
King of Britons

Quote:
This is correct.

Uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #16
NJChris
Kermie Loves Elmo

Edmund's were boring. His work in the challenges were way better than his runway work. Same for Candice.

I'm glad it was between Kelly and Ashley and happy Ashley won.

I do think none of them had that WOW runway collection that have been in past shows.

And could there have been any more commercials for PR junior? I think there were a half hour of commercials for that thing!

NJChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #17
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

The judges would never admit it, but people also win based on their history, not just the final runway.

I'm glad Ashley won. But if you base it on the finale, Kelly's was the best.

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
No, Ashley didn't win it because they wanted to give it to her for being a plus-size collection. Go back and listen to the comments again.
I heard the comments but you are not going to change my mind that they gave it to her because it is a plus-size collection.

You are right about it be a race to the bottom. The plus-size collection is the PR that PR is going to spin.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:06 AM   #19
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post
Edmund's were boring. His work in the challenges were way better than his runway work. Same for Candice.

I'm glad it was between Kelly and Ashley and happy Ashley won.

I do think none of them had that WOW runway collection that have been in past shows.

And could there have been any more commercials for PR junior? I think there were a half hour of commercials for that thing!
As far as I could see, they took the usual "meet the designers" material that is usually a stand-alone preview of the upcoming PR season and interleaved the footage with the PR finale. I'd have to check the running times, but it felt very much like half-and-half to me for the last 90 minutes of the 2-hour timeslot.

I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing so, but I spent most of the finale wondering what the running times would be, if I split out the PR junior bits with VideoReDo.

IMHO they did PR Junior a great dis-service by doing it this way, because it made me skip over all the PR Junior bits so I could get back to the current season's footage and watch the finale.

Did anyone else notice that they did not do the twist where they bring back eliminated designers to help, and instead Tim did the duty of shopping for people at Mood? When did that get cut out? Was it seasons ago, and I just wasn't paying attention? Or is this the first time we haven't seen some of the other designers returning as assistants?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #20
Bob Coxner

I've watched every season and this was probably the weakest ever for me. Edmund was about the only one who did anything I liked and even that won't be memorable. For example, it's been several years since Anya and Mondo were contestants but I can still remember some of their pieces. I'll have trouble even remembering these contestants within a year.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #21
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I've watched every season and this was probably the weakest ever for me. Edmund was about the only one who did anything I liked and even that won't be memorable. For example, it's been several years since Anya and Mondo were contestants but I can still remember some of their pieces. I'll have trouble even remembering these contestants within a year.
I think Heidi nailed it when she asked Audrey if she wanted to be remembered for her flowers or her designs.

Who won that season? oh, right the designer with the models that had flowers on their head.

I suspect we'll see a bunch of the designers again on All-Stars. Kelly, Edmund, Merline. If they're really up for drama, they'll bring Swapnil back so another group of designers can kick his lazy procrastinating ass. If they bring Ashely back, she'd better up her game, or the other All-Stars will eat her alive.

Check out these articles from Entertainment Weekly:

Why Tim Gunn 'hated' season 14 of Project Runway

Quote:
“I have a theory about it, which is that they just weren’t hungry,” he says. “Their audition videos from home, you know, they’re sitting by a pool, they’re taking us into their closet with all their designer clothes, and I just thought, they’re not hungry! Most of them. And I think that was largely the issue. I wasn’t at the auditions [this] season for the first time ever, and I blame myself, because I wouldn’t have put up with a lot of it.”

Project Runway Winner Fights Back Against Tim Gunn's Harsh Criticism: "Someone's Not Doing Their Job"

Last edited by murgatroyd; 11-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #22
cmgal

Just about everybody knows plus-sized women should not wear gathered skirts...everybody but Ashley. She exaggerated their dimensions rather than minimizing them. I'm sure her models did not feel good wearing her garments. I graduated from FIT and would have been marked down greatly if I presented outfits like hers.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #23
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Just about everybody knows plus-sized women should not wear gathered skirts...everybody but Ashley. She exaggerated their dimensions rather than minimizing them. I'm sure her models did not feel good wearing her garments. I graduated from FIT and would have been marked down greatly if I presented outfits like hers.
You aren't auditioning for Fashion Police here. Nor are you at FIT anymore. This is the Project Runway thread.

If Ashley markets gathered skirts and her customers want them and they sell, that's what matters in the real world. Sometimes people just need comfortable, fun clothes to go about their everyday lives, and if your instructors don't like it, it's just too bad.

If you want to say that the skirts are not flattering, go right ahead. But it's not your place to dictate to other people what they should or should not wear.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #24
cmgal

Sorry, but this is my opinion. BTW, I don't remember hearing how popular gathered skirts and midriff baring tops are with her clients. Does she have clients? I'd like to see photos of them wearing her clothes.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, but this is my opinion. BTW, I don't remember hearing how popular gathered skirts and midriff baring tops are with her clients. Does she have clients? I'd like to see photos of them wearing her clothes.
And I'm telling you as a potential client that if a designer tells me that I shouldn't be wearing X because I am a plus-size person, that's the point at which I say "thank you for your time" and walk out of the door. Anyone who designs by "everybody knows" rules is a lousy designer.

I may not have graduated from FIT, but I have brains and eyes.

Edith Head demonstrated when I was 12 years old that if you fit the client properly and the proportions are correct, the same design can look right on a fashion model and a person who is five feet tall.

Watching Isaac Mizrahi I learned that a design can look off and then when you adjust the hem by as little as a quarter-inch, so it is just right, it looks stunning.

I learned from reading Threads that despite Calvin Klein saying that it is easier for people to lose weight than it is for him to design clothes that look good on plus-sized people, it's possible to grade some of his patterns up and guess what? They look just fine on plus-sized people.

So despite not having a fancy diploma to wave in people's faces, I have seen with my own eyes that general rules are not absolute. If you know what you are doing, they can be broken.

Blanket statements about what people should or shouldn't wear that don't end in "if it makes you uncomfortable/unhappy" or some other client-focused statement are crap.

Fit and proportion trump are the crucial factors that determine whether a garment works for someone. If the garment is fit properly so that it looks like it was designed for that person, a person can carry off just about anything.

Women made and wore gathered skirts for a long time before industrial clothing came into vogue. People who say that large-sized women can't wear gathered skirts are also potentially guilty of cultural appropriation -- telling big women they shouldn't wear gathered skirts because they're big, but it's okay if skinny white women want to wear them for a while for a 'fashion statement' and then discard them when the 'fad' is over.

Blanket statements that people of X size shouldn't wear a particular style say far more about the speaker's size bigotry than they do about good design principles.