TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Game of Thrones: Season Four & (all) Book Discussion ** spoilers **

A place to discuss Season Four, and any & all of the books. Spoilers allowed. We can discuss how the books compare to the TV series, changes between them, when we expect to see events from the books, or whatever.

It's very difficult to limit this to only Book Three, as the showrunners have stated they are going to start taking scenes from Books 4 & 5 and incorporating them into the TV series this season, in an effort to make the series flow better than the books. Therefore, all the books are open for discussion here.

As per the general agreement reached previously, the individual TV episode threads are off-limits to book discussion.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Shaunnick

Personally I think we all know that things are dicey from here on out as far as spoiler avoidance is concerned. The book readers who are not caught up are going to be spoiled by the show regardless. Discussing differences should not be too big a deal as long as there is no major reveal here that was not first shown in the show.

Agree?
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Discussing differences should not be too big a deal as long as there is no major reveal here that was not first shown in the show.

Agree?
I disagree.
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Seems to me that if you haven't read all the books and aren't caught up to date on the TV show, this might not be the thread for you.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Seems to me that if you haven't read all the books and aren't caught up to date on the TV show, this might not be the thread for you.
My point exactly. If you have only read through book three, and this show will be showing some events from both books 4 and 5, you're going to be spoiled anyway.

I am not saying that folks should come in here and openly discuss the events of books four and five, but if the show has something from one of those books that is discussion worthy, then why avoid that particular piece? Its nonsense.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

It had almost faded from memory.

Almost.

But when the theme song for this show started playing, my mind raced back to that awesome time last fall. That time when South Park forever changed the way I'll listen to that tune.

♫ Weiner Weiner, Floppy Weiner ♫

meh
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
jollygrunt777

I want to hear any and all theories and spoilers whether, or not, they've been shown on the TV show.
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
I want to hear any and all theories and spoilers whether, or not, they've been shown on the TV show.
Hence, this thread. A place to discuss anything GoT related, books & series. The TV episodes have a weekly thread, but this is where we can discuss how they burned a dire wolf skin when they melted down ICE, but was it in the books? Actually, I don't remember them melting down ICE in the books at all, but my memory ain't what it never was.

I vaguely recall the books talking about how Valyrian swords can be reworked, but not made anew. That the skill is lost in time. Not sure where melting a sword and recasting falls in this pantheon.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Hence, this thread. A place to discuss anything GoT related, books & series. The TV episodes have a weekly thread, but this is where we can discuss how they burned a dire wolf skin when they melted down ICE, but was it in the books? Actually, I don't remember them melting down ICE in the books at all, but my memory ain't what it never was.

I vaguely recall the books talking about how Valyrian swords can be reworked, but not made anew. That the skill is lost in time. Not sure where melting a sword and recasting falls in this pantheon.
Yes, Tywin melted down Ice and had two swords created from it just as in the show. One was for Jaime and the other for Joffrey as a wedding gift.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Ice was recast into a pair of swords in the book, but it was described after the fact. Tywin doesn't have POV chapters, so there wasn't any description of it happening.

meh
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
ozzman73
Home Made

I'm not sure whether or not to chime in on the episode thread and really complain that the new Daarios is NOT swarmy enough and too pretty. Most people are happy with the recast. The new Daarios doesn't even have a gold tooth much less a three pronged beard dyed in blue.
ozzman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman73 View Post
I'm not sure whether or not to chime in on the episode thread and really complain that the new Daarios is NOT swarmy enough and too pretty. Most people are happy with the recast. The new Daarios doesn't even have a gold tooth much less a three pronged beard dyed in blue.
Yes, that's true. The original actor just annoyed the hell out of me, though.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
jwehman

Re: Daario - I agree with the "not swarmy enough" thought. He's supposed to be so flamboyant and pompous and whatever... this new character definitely seems rather tame and boring. If Dany's going to fall for him, he at least should be way WAY beyond ordinary.
jwehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

One major change already, IIRC, in the book the Hound killed Polliver, not Arya. Although I have to admit that seeing Arya do it made me smile a little (although her somewhat creepy smile almost made me stop smiling).
Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
ozzman73
Home Made

I don't mind changes from the books. IMO they are needed and so far, better. I like how Shae looked betrayed by Tyrion and at least it seems to be more plausible her eventual betrayal
Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't mind the changes either. I just like pointing them out.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman73 View Post
I don't mind changes from the books. IMO they are needed and so far, better. I like how Shae looked betrayed by Tyrion and at least it seems to be more plausible her eventual betrayal
No kidding. I never got the impression that she truly loved him in the books, just that she enjoyed what he provided. The betrayal by her was more painful for Tyrion because, IMO, he fell in love with her.

In the show, I actually believe she is truly in love with him. When he held Sansa's hand and Shae saw that, you knew Tyrion was about to have a bad night.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
Shaunnick

Sooooooooooo

Did anyone else go ahead and watch next week's preview? I think, if all the scenes I saw were accurate to E2, that we will see the other wedding we have been waiting for. Anyone else who saw the preview concur?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
jehma

I sure do love a good wedding.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I didn't watch the previews, but if Joff's wedding is next week there will much rejoicing among the non-book reader population.

They've got a lot of ground to cover this season. I'm glad they're moving it right along. I don't think anyone will be too surprised at Joff's fate, but I predict the next big death will be a shocker to many.

meh
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
3D

Between the preview, timing of where it took place in the books, and the fact that GRRM is credited with next weeks episode, I'm expecting the much rejoicing moment next week.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
ozzman73
Home Made

Much rejoicing. People are going to be confused by the time the second big death happens. My wife keeps asking me for spoilers, but I am a good husband and refuse. I only point out important things that happen and give some context based on stuff that has already happened. With so many characters, so many inter-relationships and an extensive timeline, only the truly obsessed can keep up with character motivations and growth.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
stellie93

Someone in the other thread was speculating on what The queen of Thorns will say when she sees Sansa's new necklace. That reminded me of where they're going with that necklace. It seems like it was much later in the books when we found this stuff out, so I won't say any more.

Funny how the poster latched onto it's importance when I'm pretty sure he's not a book reader. And I had almost forgotten even though I've read all the books twice.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #24
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Sooooooooooo

Did anyone else go ahead and watch next week's preview? I think, if all the scenes I saw were accurate to E2, that we will see the other wedding we have been waiting for. Anyone else who saw the preview concur?
Maybe not so much...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5104139.html

Quote:
Beyond the change to Polliver's death, Williams told EW that much of Season 4 will deviate from Martin's writing as well. "This year there's a few key plot twists and the way [the show's] writers go about it is different than the books," she said. "I think fans of the books will be a little confused, which I think is fantastic because it keeps it interesting for everyone."

Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Polliver's death wasn't that much different. Arya killed him with Needle in the book, too, only without any exposition. What was significantly different is The Hound wasn't grievously wounded in the fight.

meh
Old 04-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #26
cherry ghost

That makes it seem like she didn't kill anyone in that scene in the book, but she killed both the squire boy and The Tickler while quoting The Tickler, “Is there gold hidden in the village?”, etc.

The bigger change is that Sandor wasn't severely wounded like he was in the book.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #27
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Yeah, my mistake. The Hound kills Polliver and Arya does The Tickler and the squire.

meh
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
cherry ghost

So maybe we won't see The Hound get wounded at all and they'll just have Arya somehow escape him and make her way to Saltpans.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #29
Ereth

Since this is a spoiler thread... George RR Martin has, in fact, said that episode 2 is Joffreys wedding. I've seen it a couple of places. No details on what events may or may not transpire there, but the wedding is most definitely confirmed for episode 2. And Martin wrote it.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #30
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Since this is a spoiler thread... George RR Martin has, in fact, said that episode 2 is Joffreys wedding. I've seen it a couple of places. No details on what events may or may not transpire there, but the wedding is most definitely confirmed for episode 2. And Martin wrote it.