TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
ketchingup

Thought I knew what I was doing, maybe not

I bought a roamio and it is working great on an antenna. I also bought a mini and ran a cat 5 network cable between the two, but it is not working on the mini. What am I missing here? Do I need a router or something?

I am not a techie.

Thanks for the help in advance
ketchingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
HomeUser

Yes you need a router, the Mini needs to be connected to the local network (and internet) also. How is your Roamio connected to the Internet?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchingup View Post
Do I need a router or something?
You answered your own question. Put a router between them.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

It s a shame you can't just assign static ip addresses on the Roamio and mini but both also need internet access.

How is the Roamio getting to the internet? You might be able to use moca depending on how your home network is configured, but you would at the least need to buy one moca adapter, possibly two.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You answered your own question. Put a router between them.
Don't need a router "between them" but rather the ethernet attached to both with the router in between your home network and your internet provider.
TiVo Premiere

Old 07-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
ketchingup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
It s a shame you can't just assign static ip addresses on the Roamio and mini but both also need internet access.

How is the Roamio getting to the internet? You might be able to use moca depending on how your home network is configured, but you would at the least need to buy one moca adapter, possibly two.

My Roamio is connecting to the internet via a Linksys wireless router that I have in my office. I get my internet via cable, but my tv via antenna.

The cable running through my house is dedicated to the internet. My tv antenna is doing a single drop from my attic down to my Roamio.

I have physically connected the roamio and mini with a network cable.

Do I need to move my cable modem and router to my mini and then physically connect the mini to router using a cable connection and still leave the network connection from the Roamio?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
jcthorne

The mini will need to be connected to the router as well as the Roamio. If wireless is working for your Roamio now, it may not for Mini. They really both need a hardwired connection, either ethernet or moca to work correctly together. Connecting them directly to each other will not work.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
ketchingup

If I plug both the roamio and the mini into my wireless router will that complete the needed connection or do the mini and roamio need to be directly connected to each other?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
rickz0rz

Quote:
If I plug both the roamio and the mini into my wireless router will that complete the needed connection or do the mini and roamio need to be directly connected to each other?
Plug both the Mini and Roamio into the router and you should be set!
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Yep, if you can get cat 5 cables/ethernet to them, that's a much better option than moca , forget I mentioned moca as that's usually an option if you can't get ethernet to them.
TiVo Premiere

Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
ketchingup

I was going to move my cable modem and router to the same location as the Roamio and then plug both it and the mini into the router.....BUT I also have Magic Jack plugged into the router and unfortunately no close phone jack to the Roamio location.

So I am going to try a using a Linksys Wireless Universal Media Connector. I get a strong wireless signal at the Roamio so this way I can plug both the Roamio and the Mini in to an ethernet port.

I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
ketchingup

Problem solved

I decided that my 20th century Linksys G 2.4 router needed to be upgraded, so I bought a Linksys WRT1900 AC.

Got it set up and talking to my Linksys WUMC710 Media Connector via Wi-fi and plugged my Roamio and Mini into the WUMC710 ethernet ports.

It is working out great.

So there is a partial solution to not running wiring.