TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Momentary Glitches During Viewing

I know it is not necessary normal, or intended... But is it this behavior something I should panic over?

Once in a while, and I think it is during playback (not during live TV), my video has a momentary audio and video hiccup. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen...both on my TiVo Mini, as well as on the Roamio Pro that it is attached to.

At first, I thought it was a network issue...so I would rewind it and it would playback again identically... My guess is that it was recorded that way...

I am overly sensitive right now because I am in my first 30 days of my recertified TiVo purchase... I am hoping that this is not completely unexpected behavior... The recertified units are listed as sold out now, and the price was extremely attractive

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Sounds like you are right and it was recorded that way.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Yes, I am pretty sure that is it...but I guess my question is whether recording with glitches is a not-so-uncommon occurrence...

This happens every so often... And I wonder if it is because there is something wrong with my Roamio, or something wrong with the source content from my cable provider...

Probably no one can tell me that...but that's the curiosity I have...

Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
Yes, I am pretty sure that is it...but I guess my question is whether recording with glitches is a not-so-uncommon occurrence...

This happens every so often... And I wonder if it is because there is something wrong with my Roamio, or something wrong with the source content from my cable provider...

Probably no one can tell me that...but that's the curiosity I have...
I wish you could check the DVR diagnostic counters of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected for indication of the errors sent to your box. Sadly those are less functional on the Roamio than the Premiere. Since your errors are captured by the TiVo they are coming from outside and not an internal problem, like a bad HDMI cable. You could send an email to your cable local office and ask them if they have reports of blocking errors on some channels. It helps if you can narrow the scope to broadcast, cable only, SD, HD etc. to make it easier for them. But while I doubt such errors are common, I see them or more accurately hear them on occasion. Mostly they are not recorded, so I blame something inside my house or a network feed to my headend. If I can see the error, I can always find the error is recorded.

Also, remember everything you watch is recorded. The 30 minute buffer is always used, so the only way to watch live TV is on a TV or from streaming content. I don't hear or see errors on Amazon content.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
mstrumpf

I've seen that occasionally. I would reboot my Roamio and it would clear up.

It was doing it consistently for a while. I'm on FIOS and I had them "refresh the box", ping the cablecard, and that clear it up. Not re-pairing, just push a refresh, whatever that is.

mstrumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Yes... I am pretty convinced that it is the recorded content that I am seeing the glitches...

That said, I was wondering if the source input had the hiccup, or if was the recording of the content... Of course, either one of these root causes would result in me seeing a hiccup on the viewing end of the experience...

I will attempt a reboot and see if things improve... Thanks for the suggestion...

BTW, I found that a reboot cleared up things on my DirecTV Genie too... So this makes complete sense...