TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Mike Richardson

They removed cable TV from my apartment building

Because of the demolition of adjacent apartment buildings which were formerly part of one complex (those buildings contained the cable TV infrastructure), Cable TV has been removed from my building (the last remaining building).

So I have been forced to obtain DISH Network to continue watching TV and they provide a DVR.

I need 15 posts to open a thread in the sales forum to sell my TiVo though. I do not have an eBay because I sold my business a few months ago which included that account.

I called to cancel TiVo today and they offered me the $99 lifetime for my Series 3 TiVo, it's a TCD652160, but I have upgraded the drive to 250 GB (a small upgrade I know, but the original 160 GB drive died and I used what I had).

I said I didn't have $99 right away and they were really nice and comped me a month of service and said I could call back in the next month to get the deal.

So I'd like to get that deal, and then I'll have this TiVo, but no cable though.
Mike Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
stahta01
Simple Member

Does that Series 3 support Over the Air (OTA) Digital TV?
(I think most or even all do; but, you might wish to confirm that hardware is working before paying for lifetime.)
If yes, then I think its a good deal to get lifetime for $99.

Tim S.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Mike Richardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahta01 View Post
Does that Series 3 support Over the Air (OTA) Digital TV?
(I think most or even all do; but, you might wish to confirm that hardware is working before paying for lifetime.)
If yes, then I think its a good deal to get lifetime for $99.

Tim S.

Yes it does. It's set up for OTA right now actually. Even if I didn't sell it, I could still use it with the lifetime to record extra primetime programming. Good idea, I hadn't even thought of it like that.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Snag that $99 deal ASAP! Many people who meet the mostly established criteria are not getting offered the offer, and when they ask are turned down!

Others have also been told the same "the deal will still be good" line, only to find out otherwise. They have no obligation to keep their word. So, I strongly advise you do your best to get the money, or use credit is you must. Otherwise you could get told $399, take it or leave it, and that would be unfortunate.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Mike Richardson

I was able to call today and get the $99 deal! What's interesting is that I have only been a continuous TiVo customer since 2011, when I activated a Series 2 DT that I got at a thrift store for $5, to use with the free cable that the landlord provided. When Comcast converted to digital-only the next year I got a Series 3 from eBay for $50. I think they considered the time my boxes had been activated when giving me the deal.

I think it's definitely worth it, eventually I will have to move when they demolish this building, and I'll probably get Comcast again, since they've upgraded their internet speeds in Houston. They also offer a $2.50 credit per month for using a TiVo.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
ggieseke

They're also pushing out the latest Cisco CableCARD firmware globally in Houston, which is nice.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Bigg

Where are you located? Are they going to knock your building down as well at some point? That's rather unusual to knock apartments down... Usually they just refurb them.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Where are you located? Are they going to knock your building down as well at some point? That's rather unusual to knock apartments down... Usually they just refurb them.
I don't know OP but there are sections of Houston with low rises (2-3 stories) that are close enough to prime retail that can be converted into retail or turned into luxury apartments or high rises.

Houston has unusual zoning for cities of that size. I had a friend in the situation, said you can tell when they only offer Month-to-Month leases.

Last edited by telemark : 08-03-2014 at 08:01 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I don't know OP but there are sections of Houston with low rises (2-3 stories) that are close enough to prime retail that can be converted into retail or turned into luxury apartments or high rises.

Houston has unusual zoning for cities of that size. I had a friend in the situation, said you can tell when they only offer Month-to-Month leases.
Interesting. I've heard Houston is all jumbled up, without much zoning like we have here in New England.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #10
Mike Richardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post

I'm a block inside the loop, Westheimer @ Westcreek near the Galleria. There used to be over a dozen 3 story apartment buildings here, all built by the same developer in the late 60s/early 70s. All but three have been demolished for new expensive high rise stuff or mixed use with retail, and two buildings are vacant and pending to be demolished for a high rise office building.

So that leaves one building which is mine, the last one standing and occupied in a sea of new construction - but the current landlord is really a developer. They are keeping the old building for now in order to collect some rent so that they can fund a new mid-rise apartment building. I think they are also waiting for some of the other construction to finish, otherwise the workmen would have nowhere to park.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post
I'm a block inside the loop, Westheimer @ Westcreek near the Galleria. There used to be over a dozen 3 story apartment buildings here, all built by the same developer in the late 60s/early 70s. All but three have been demolished for new expensive high rise stuff or mixed use with retail, and two buildings are vacant and pending to be demolished for a high rise office building.

So that leaves one building which is mine, the last one standing and occupied in a sea of new construction - but the current landlord is really a developer. They are keeping the old building for now in order to collect some rent so that they can fund a new mid-rise apartment building. I think they are also waiting for some of the other construction to finish, otherwise the workmen would have nowhere to park.
Interesting. Very different from what I'm used to here in New England!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
christheman

Quote:

I am not a city planner or anything, but my take on it is that they might also be keeping one building up just to leverage the burden of either the tax or zoning laws. There might be some benefit or allowance grandfathered in as long as they keep at least one original building on that property.

Last edited by christheman : 08-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
I am not a city planner or anything, but my take on it is that they might also be keeping one building up just to leverage the burden of either the tax or zoning laws. There might be some benefit or allowance grandfathered in as long as they keep at least one original building on that property.
Or to call it a "renovation" or something stupid. I've heard of places where you can't tear down a house, so they leave 10' of a wall standing and then "remodel" the rest of the house... Or maybe not. I doubt zoning is that strict down there...
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
christheman

Quote:
Or to call it a "renovation" or something stupid. I've heard of places where you can't tear down a house, so they leave 10' of a wall standing and then "remodel" the rest of the house... Or maybe not. I doubt zoning is that strict down there...
Based on another post, it sounds like their zoning is all over the place down there. I'll bet they make parts of it up as they go along.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
Based on another post, it sounds like their zoning is all over the place down there. I'll bet they make parts of it up as they go along.
Yeah, I've heard their residential and commercial is all mixed up and sprawled.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #16
Series3Sub

Quote:
Because of the demolition of adjacent apartment buildings which were formerly part of one complex (those buildings contained the cable TV infrastructure), Cable TV has been removed from my building (the last remaining building).

So I have been forced to obtain DISH Network to continue watching TV and they provide a DVR.
Which DVR did you end up getting? The Hopper or one of the older DVR's, like the ViP's?
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #17
Mike Richardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
Which DVR did you end up getting? The Hopper or one of the older DVR's, like the ViP's?
I decided to buy all of my equipment, because I did not believe at the time, that I would have the DISH service for longer than 6 months. So it did not make any sense to sign a long term contract while at the time time intending to move to another apartment with cable, and resume using my TiVo.

So I bought (from Amazon), a brand new ViP 922, and a brand new 1000.2 satellite dish from a dealer in Austin. The 922 seemed like the best choice since I mostly live alone but on occasion I do have company over for lengthy visits. I ran a coax to my guest room so whenever I have company, I can change the DVR over to the "Duo" mode and my guests can have their own TV to watch. To do the same thing with Hopper equipment would require wasting $7 per month on a Joey that would go mostly unused. (previously that room had a Comcast DTA with no monthly charges)

The dish was installed by myself into the side of the building outside my kitchen window on the 3rd floor, into a stud. The landlord is permitting any modifications without argument in light of the removal of cable TV. It was the first time I had ever installed a dish and so far it has held up through ~8 months of weather without any problems.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Mike Richardson

They are already working on taking down one of the two buildings that are owned by the office tower people.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f19reio184...21.06.jpg?dl=0

They usually scrape off all the bricks first and then sell those to recycling outfits.

Here is a pic of my building for comparison. This building will not be evicted until at least January 2015. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhmanz73oc...54.41.jpg?dl=0
Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #19
Mike Richardson

As I predicted, my building is being evicted.

The lifetime TiVo Series 3 is still working fine. When I move I might decide to go with OTA for a while to save a little money.

I'm glad I got the lifetime deal when I could, I recommend to anyone else to go ahead and get the $99 deal. Worst case, you sell the TiVo for what most certainly will be more than $99. As long as it's a Series 3 or better, you will have a useful TiVo for several years to come. Even if you need a new hard drive, it's a pretty easy repair with all the guides available online, and you get a bonus space upgrade as well.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #20
ajwees41

Quote:
As I predicted, my building is being evicted.

The lifetime TiVo Series 3 is still working fine. When I move I might decide to go with OTA for a while to save a little money.

I'm glad I got the lifetime deal when I could, I recommend to anyone else to go ahead and get the $99 deal. Worst case, you sell the TiVo for what most certainly will be more than $99. As long as it's a Series 3 or better, you will have a useful TiVo for several years to come. Even if you need a new hard drive, it's a pretty easy repair with all the guides available online, and you get a bonus space upgrade as well.
the S3's will only be good for OTA soon since they can't handle mpeg 4 or channels in the 1Ghz area
ajwees41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
the S3's will only be good for OTA soon since they can't handle mpeg 4 or channels in the 1Ghz area
You do know that there are still cable companies offering an analog feed, right?

They aren't all going to be jumping to the state of the art very latest thing right away.

So, for S3 owners, their mileage may vary, as the saying goes, depending on where they live and from whom they get cable.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
MPEG-4 and 1GHz are both still rare. There are only a handful of small regional cable companies that are entirely MPEG-4. There are some bigger ones that have MPEG-4 channels, but they're typically lesser watched fringe channels. 1GHz is even more rare as it typically requires replacing all the coax in the whole network. For 1GHz to work well you need top quality RG6 cabling and you need the individual nodes to be relatively close together. Most cable systems weren't designed well enough to do 1GHz and require major upgrades to support it. And even then it's a support nightmare as it's much more susceptible to interference and equipment issues. 864MHz systems combined with SDV are much more common.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
Bigg

Quote:
Depends on the provider. They are already broken for Cox and some packages on FIOS, since they use 1ghz/MPEG-4 and MPEG-4, respectively, and Comcast is going to convert, but it could be years before all their systems are converted, and they seem to be busy trying to buy up TWC right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
MPEG-4 and 1GHz are both still rare. There are only a handful of small regional cable companies that are entirely MPEG-4. There are some bigger ones that have MPEG-4 channels, but they're typically lesser watched fringe channels. 1GHz is even more rare as it typically requires replacing all the coax in the whole network. For 1GHz to work well you need top quality RG6 cabling and you need the individual nodes to be relatively close together. Most cable systems weren't designed well enough to do 1GHz and require major upgrades to support it. And even then it's a support nightmare as it's much more susceptible to interference and equipment issues. 864MHz systems combined with SDV are much more common.
This is all true, although the entire state of RI is Cox, with many areas having FIOS. I think all of Cox is 1ghz, and FIOS is using MPEG-4.

AFAIK, no one has combined all of the bandwidth-saving technologies available, as there are no 1ghz plants running all-digital. Cox is making themselves nuts with a 1ghz plant when much of it is squandered with analog. I wonder if they give up on 1ghz and go to an 870mhz plant when they finally get around to killing analog? Comcast did it right by killing analog, but many of their systems are positively decrepit. Ours is 625mhz.

A 1ghz plant running all-digital H.264 would be pretty amazing. FIOS is the closest thing, since they're running 870mhz, with no internet, phone, or VOD to clog up the pipe, but even they are completely out of bandwidth.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #24
tarheelblue32

Quote:
A 1ghz plant running all-digital H.264 would be pretty amazing.
Cable companies have waited so long to even start deploying H.264 that at this point they might as well just skip it and go straight to H.265.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Cable companies have waited so long to even start deploying H.264 that at this point they might as well just skip it and go straight to H.265.
No. Most boxes today support H.264, while zero boxes support H.265. So to switch to H.264 would only require swapping a small proportion of the oldest boxes, while H.265 would require all new boxes, which isn't economically feasible.