TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
jlin

Can Roamio's 3TB disk be cloned?

I'm experiencing some numerous freezing of playback of recorded shows on my Roamio's 3TB drive.

Interesting enough, when I rewind back to the same spot, it does not freeze as before.

I suspect the hard drive maybe going bad.

I have another spare 3TB drive. Can I use my hard drive duplicator to make a copy of the old drive and put the new drive back to Roamio and expect it to work?

jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Currently there is no software available to copy a Roamio drive with recordings.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
jmbach

You can us dd or your drive duplicator to clone the drive. Should work just fine.

Check the drive with a diagnostic program for errors that have not reached SMART threshold.

If this drive is in a Roamio basic, would try to find a power brick that has the ability to provide a little more power when needed and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
jlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
You can us dd or your drive duplicator to clone the drive. Should work just fine.

Check the drive with a diagnostic program for errors that have not reached SMART threshold.

If this drive is in a Roamio basic, would try to find a power brick that has the ability to provide a little more power when needed and see if that fixes the problem.
Yes I have the Roamio Basic.. I tried cloning it but it was taking forever. I assume that the the duplicator probably bump into a bad sector that it can't skip over.

What's wrong with the original power supply that Roamio Basic came with?

jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
jmbach

Nothing wrong per se. The issue may be the amount of power needed for larger drives may not be sufficient at times depending on the state of the drive and unit. As the power draw from the unit nears maximum capacity of the power brick, the unit might experience a brief under voltage causing problems.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #6
Thom

Get a copy of Spinrite v6 and run it at level 2 on your drive. If Spinrite fixes your drive, then use your drive duplicator to copy the drive to a more reliable one.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #7
russdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Yes I have the Roamio Basic.. I tried cloning it but it was taking forever. I assume that the the duplicator probably bump into a bad sector that it can't skip over.

What's wrong with the original power supply that Roamio Basic came with?
Tivo cheaped out on it for unknown iffy reasons.

Others have reported problems disappearing once they used a 12V 2.5A brick rather than the std 12V 2.0A brick.

Others have suggested looking for a Liteon brick on ebay that is the recommended 12V 2.5A. Lots of used ones for $8 (from off-lease laptops which always get new bricks when resold), supposedly some new ones for under $20.

Apparently, 2.5A is enough to make some problems vanish. There is some controversy about using a brick that is rated at more than 3A. In theory, it shouldn't matter at all, but there are iffy unknowns about whether the tivo box is designed to cope with possible exceptional conditions that might cause it to accidentally draw more amps and burnout something. The upper limit on a brick evidently puts a ceiling on how power hungry the tivo box is allowed to be, so a higher-A brick raises that ceiling. You want that to go up from 2.0A to 2.5A but you don't want it very much higher than that. Chances are a 4A or 5A brick would work just fine with nary a problem, it mainly comes down to how paranoid you think it's smart to be.

If it was me, I'd get a used Liteon 12V 2.5A brick for cheap.

russdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #8
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
I'm experiencing some numerous freezing of playback of recorded shows on my Roamio's 3TB drive.

Interesting enough, when I rewind back to the same spot, it does not freeze as before.

I suspect the hard drive maybe going bad.

I have another spare 3TB drive. Can I use my hard drive duplicator to make a copy of the old drive and put the new drive back to Roamio and expect it to work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Currently there is no software available to copy a Roamio drive with recordings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Don't want to stir up any disagreements, but these two responses seem completely contradictory. Hopefully, there was just a misunderstanding about the OP's question.....

Is this a matter of debate, or is there a definitive answer as to whether a Roamio HDD, with recordings, can be cloned to an identical drive.....not upsized, upgraded, etc....just cloned for the purpose of replacing a questionable HDD?

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #9
jmbach

A Roamio drive with recordings and cableCARD pairings can be cloned with a disk duplicator or a program like dd and work like the original drive in the same Roamio unit.

It does sound controversial on the surface. There are no current tools available to copy and expand a Roamio drive with recordings.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post

Don't want to stir up any disagreements, but these two responses seem completely contradictory. Hopefully, there was just a misunderstanding about the OP's question.....

Is this a matter of debate, or is there a definitive answer as to whether a Roamio HDD, with recordings, can be cloned to an identical drive.....not upsized, upgraded, etc....just cloned for the purpose of replacing a questionable HDD?
The Linux/Unix utility

dd

or its two more sophisticated cousins

ddrescue

and

dd_rescue

can "Xerox" a hard drive to another hard drive of the same size (in LBA) or larger, although I wouldn't recommend using a larger one in this instance, as I don't know how the Roamio, if it could detect the change, would react to the change.

Using a second drive with the same LBA number should result in the Roamio not even knowing that it's not the same drive as the one you took out.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
b-ball-fanatic

Thanks for the replies.

That was my intention...to use dd_rescue to clone the original 3Tb drive straight across to another WD 3Tb Green. Though I currently have the Roamio working again, there's been too much weird behavior to have confidence going forward with the existing drive.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
telemark

I'd suggest checking the SMART values, and migrate off this drive with a dd_rescue type program asap if you want to keep your recordings.

If the migration ends with unreadable sectors, then spinrite might recover some more bits, if you really want every one.

PS. if the drive acts rock-solid in the PC, you might have something else going on.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I'd suggest checking the SMART values, and migrate off this drive with a dd_rescue type program asap if you want to keep your recordings.

If the migration ends with unreadable sectors, then spinrite might recover some more bits, if you really want every one.

PS. if the drive acts rock-solid in the PC, you might have something else going on.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, yeah....I'm pretty sure something else is going on. After all that trouble, I don't think it was ever the HDD.

As I've detailed a bit more HERE, the Roamio seems to operate fine once it's up & running, but it became increasingly difficult to get out of a boot loop and get it going. Today, I can't get it started at all....