TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
xjayhx

roamio plus upgrade/add on?

just got my roamio plus almost a month ago and already battling for space. i see that using a av green hdd up to 3TB is easy. i want to use my old hdd as a expander. can i just but a "my book " shell and case and use that as a expander? or make it easy and use the 3TB as a expander. (would rather use 3tb for internal, but doesnt really matter)
thanX in advance

xjayhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

No, you need the actual WD box. No user tools can enable anything else or a larger external.

3TB is a lot more space than 1TB. I would replace it and then see if you need that little extra later. Don't need to bother with a AV drive. Tivo does not use them.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
xjayhx

so it doesnt need to be a wd av-gp hdd. but recommended cause of beingnon 24/7 right? looking at a 3tb for 112.00 and I ts a WD green hdd.
good price?

xjayhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Don't need to bother with a AV drive. Tivo does not use them.
Two corrections:

I just pulled the original drives out of two TiVos and both were WD AV-GP drives.

There is one space between sentences, not two.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
jmbach
der Neuerer

At this time there are no tools to add a non TiVo approved extender drive. It is not the "Box" the drive is in, but the model of the installed drive that the TiVo looks for.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Two corrections:

I just pulled the original drives out of two TiVos and both were WD AV-GP drives.

I stand corrected on the AV drive. Perhaps saying that tivo does not always use AV drives, I know the ones I've pulled were not.

Two spaces is still proper protocol after periods. One has become acceptable, but two is completely acceptable. I file testimony all the time, and that is our standard for such filings.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #7
russdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjayhx View Post
so it doesnt need to be a wd av-gp hdd. but recommended cause of beingnon 24/7 right? looking at a 3tb for 112.00 and I ts a WD green hdd.
good price?
You want at least an WD AV-GP green, which are being marketed now as simply WD AV with green labels.

The WD Reds cost just a tad more but are rated for a higher workload and come with a longer warranty. (You don't want a Red Pro, just a Red.)

russdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
nigebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdog View Post
You want at least an WD AV-GP green, which are being marketed now as simply WD AV with green labels.

The WD Reds cost just a tad more but are rated for a higher workload and come with a longer warranty. (You don't want a Red Pro, just a Red.)
I'm seeing Red at 3 years and AV-GP at 3 years, and claims many technologies which are designed for PVR/DVR in the AV-GP. Is this all just marketing BS (Silkstream) or are these features only in the AV-GP. Is Amazon mis-stating the warranty on the AV-GP ?

nigebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Two corrections:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I stand corrected on the AV drive. Perhaps saying that tivo does not always use AV drives, I know the ones I've pulled were not.

Two spaces is still proper protocol after periods. One has become acceptable, but two is completely acceptable. I file testimony all the time, and that is our standard for such filings.
Agree with two spaces.

Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:31 AM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
Agree with two spaces.
Look it up. If you are using a typewriter, it's fine. Things made after typewriters do not use monospaced fonts and make up for the limitations of 1800's technology.

If you don't believe me, tell me why Microsoft Word treats two spaces between sentences as a grammatical error.

More info at the first result I found on Google: http://www.cultofpedagogy.com/two-spaces-after-period/

(Sorry to take the thread off-topic.)

Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 AM   #11
telemark

Quote:
More info at the first result I found on Google: http://www.cultofpedagogy.com/two-spaces-after-period/
Some counter-point:
http://widespacer.blogspot.com/
http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Look it up. If you are using a typewriter, it's fine. Things made after typewriters do not use monospaced fonts and make up for the limitations of 1800's technology.

If you don't believe me, tell me why Microsoft Word treats two spaces between sentences as a grammatical error.

(Sorry to take the thread off-topic.)
yeah I know, I still follow the old writing guide rules.

Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
jrtroo
User

My double spaces are not errors. Again, one is acceptable in some areas, but not in others. It is not universal as you state.

I need to use two frequently for work, and do not revert to a different style for other purposes.

What was this thread about?

Old 03-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I stopped reading the first link as soon as I got to this: "it really needs it's own dedicated article." Wow, nice spelling.

The second one: TL;DR

Anyway, I apologize for running us off the rails in this thread. Please do not feel an obligation to reply. Let's get back on track.