TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
dougdingle
HD Tech

Desktop Plus - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Just upgraded to Desktop Plus because I wanted to be able to push home made content to a tivo from the computer without having to take a week to get pytivo's conversion settings to work properly.

For those considering the same move, here's the insanity of Desktop Plus:

If you use Plus to convert/push files to the tivo, even personal files of videos you make yourself, the stupid thing tags them with the "Do Not Copy" bit set so you can't copy them to another TiVo.

I could see doing that if the original file had the bit set, but to put it on every file it converts and pushes is brain dead. Utterly brain dead.

And one other thing: It does fine with MP4 files, but if you put an AVI file into the push folder, it slams my i7 processor to the wall with all 8 cores at 100%. I've never seen my CPU temperature at 82 degrees C before, and my nVidia GPU at 110 degrees C. And that's with the process set at the lowest priority in Task Manager. Wow.

Maybe I'll have another look at pytivo.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
With PyTivo, Videos do get CP'd when you push them to the TiVo, but doesn't when you pull them from the TiVo side.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO; 05-24-2015 at 04:38 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Metadata sorting

I switched from Desktop to pyTivo because of its ability to add metadata to my home videos so they sort to any date I choose. I can also write up a description of the content for my family to read. I've never had a problem with pyTivo not recognizing common video formats.

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I switched from Desktop to pyTivo because of its ability to add metadata to my home videos so they sort to any date I choose. I can also write up a description of the content for my family to read. I've never had a problem with pyTivo not recognizing common video formats.
Will pyTivo create folders on the TiVo?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

pyTivo "Series ID" tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Will pyTivo create folders?
Yes, just assign an arbitrary "series ID" tag in the .txt file containing your metadata and keep track of what series ID you assign to your home videos, then they will sort into your customized folder.

For example:

seriesId : SH999101 > title : Vacations
seriesId : SH999102 > title : Kids
seriesId : SH999103 > title : Pets
seriesId : SH999104 > title : Projects
seriesId : SH999105 > title : Miscellaneous

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
dougdingle
HD Tech

Interesting. Thanks. Perhaps it's worth another look.

Last time I tried it (about five years ago), I think it used ffmpeg to do conversions, and the command line to get a decent conversion and/or scaling was so complex I finally got fed up experimenting with it.

I wanted something simple, and it was far from being that.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
jcthorne

Set up and configure pytivo using the defaults and basic settings outlined in the setup instructions linked in my signature. Let pytivo pick the correct ffmpeg settings for your box.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
dougdingle
HD Tech

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Set up and configure pytivo using the defaults and basic settings outlined in the setup instructions linked in my signature. Let pytivo pick the correct ffmpeg settings for your box.
Thanks for this. I tried and failed to set up Pytivo a couple of years ago, but I was successful yesterday. It is not doable for the rank amateur, but I muddled through it. The instructions could be be better, especially exactly which files to dump in the "bin".

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Thanks for this. I tried and failed to set up Pytivo a couple of years ago, but I was successful yesterday. It is not doable for the rank amateur, but I muddled through it. The instructions could be be better, especially exactly which files to dump in the "bin".
Thanks for the suggestion, I just made some changes to that section of the windows installation wiki to try to better address which files go into bin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There have always been pyTivo options to control FFmpeg settings, but there's never been any particular reason to mess with any of them. I'd take (more of) them out in my fork if I didn't think it would upset some established users. But I don't know why some people look at an option and just assume that they have to do something with it. Basic setup of pyTivo is ridiculously trivial... your pyTivo.conf file should look something like this:

Code:
[Movies]
type = video
path = /your/files/here
That's it; that's the whole thing. Everything else is extra.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There have always been pyTivo options to control FFmpeg settings, but there's never been any particular reason to mess with any of them. I'd take (more of) them out in my fork if I didn't think it would upset some established users. But I don't know why some people look at an option and just assume that they have to do something with it. Basic setup of pyTivo is ridiculously trivial... your pyTivo.conf file should look something like this:

Code:
[Movies]
type = video
path = /your/files/here
That's it; that's the whole thing. Everything else is extra.
A few years ago when I tried setting it up in a very basic manner as you suggest, the quality of the converted videos was abysmal, bordering on the unwatchable. Non-converted videos were fine, but then what do I need pyTivo for if I already have Desktop Pro to do the push?

It sounds like things have improved, and the defaults have become higher quality.

I will give it another try this week.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I just made some changes to that section of the windows installation wiki to try to better address which files go into bin.
That was helpful. I had some trouble figuring out how to unzip the 7-Z file and it's good you have a link to the program that does that. Also initially I just dumped the whole file folders into the "bin".

Thanks again.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
A few years ago when I tried setting it up in a very basic manner as you suggest, the quality of the converted videos was abysmal, bordering on the unwatchable.
I think that experience is unique to you.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
moyekj

Quote:
A few years ago when I tried setting it up in a very basic manner as you suggest, the quality of the converted videos was abysmal, bordering on the unwatchable. Non-converted videos were fine, but then what do I need pyTivo for if I already have Desktop Pro to do the push?

It sounds like things have improved, and the defaults have become higher quality.

I will give it another try this week.
I would guess the problem is you were using an old/ancient version of pyTivo that didn't recognize your TiVo TSN and hence assumed you were transferring to series 2 TiVo and transferring at 640x480 resolution. As long as you update occasionally to latest version you would have no such problems.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote