TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #61
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darichard View Post
I'm being criticized for engaging in a dialog(?). Ummm... ok. No doubt if I didn't you'd criticize me for flaming TiVo and then leaving. I'm listening, admitting when I made mistakes, and trying my best see all sides and be reasonable.

I'll point out that some of you seem to be taking this a little personally. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
As others have noticed, and noted, you seem to have started this thread looking for sympathy and attention. It would seem you were not "done with TiVo", but looking to find people that would fall-in and back your complaint, and make you feel better. I'd say that didn't work out as (apparently) planned.

Plenty of people post things to the effect that they are leaving TiVo (as in not keeping what they have, and never buying anything more), then leave, never to post here again. Some just vent their complaints, and are never heard from again, without playing the "loyal customer" card. I would not criticize you in your absence. You have it backwards.

That you continue engaging, rather than disappearing, suggests you are very invested in what people think of you, and how they feel about you. While some leave TiVo and remain active on TCF, most who do don't seek out approval, or an acknowledgement that their decision was justified.

Take a moment and realize that you aren't helping your case any, and are just digging a deeper hole, while standing in it.

I've had more than my fair share of problems with TiVo, and wish most of them were as minor as being billed for a full month of TiVo service for a unit not using that month. That's not even a TiVo problem, it's TiVo policy.

Nobody has ever made the argument that you used as the foundation for your declaration, and succeeded in swaying community opinion. If you think you'll be the first, you are delusional. If you think you will be some folk hero if you state you have decided to stay with TiVo, you are delusional.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #62
Darichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
As others have noticed, and noted, you seem to have started this thread looking for sympathy and attention. It would seem you were not "done with TiVo", but looking to find people that would fall-in and back your complaint, and make you feel better. I'd say that didn't work out as (apparently) planned.
What the what? Thank you for your thoughtful analysis of my motivation. Curious as to why you think I would want people to fall-in and back me. I'm done either way, and am not going to change TiVo's policy either way.

I used to spend time here. I've had TiVo a long time. I was surprised by how my interaction with them went and I chose to share it. You can keep looking all you want for more motive. You're not going to find it.

Saying I'm in a hole and digging indicates that I'm trying to get something out of this. In a hole relative to what?

This feels a little like I've wandered into a political or religious discussion thread and lobbed in an opposing view. I've been called names. I've been told my story isn't believable. You're playing psycho-analyst and implying my mom didn't hug me enough.

If you guys only want to read positive comments about TiVo, maybe you should indicate that. If you think I'm full of crap or unreasonable, you're free to say so (and you have).

And believe it or not, my primary motivation for posting was to check my reaction. I got a lot of feedback that says my expectation was way out of line. I get it. You think my perspective is wrong.

I can hardly wait for the next accusation or insightful probing of my psyche.
Darichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #63
mschnebly

LOL Looks like the forum Nazis have come to TiVo's rescue to teach you a lesson. It's never TiVo's fault, it's yours and you should receive a serious beating for bringing this up. I think some just cant wait to pile on one of the "un-faithful".
mschnebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #64
Bigg

Quote:
Sorry to hear this. I too would be done with them given the condition. An editorial comment: I never understood the appeal of Apple PCs. Until recently I could see a MacBook, but now other laptops have more than caught up (imo). Their other PCs are way overpriced relative to others. And the ironic thing to me is that it seems like most people who run install Windows anyway. However they are generally much nicer looking boxes.

Same thing - I'd be done. fwiw, Lenovo has taken really good care of me with warranty issues. Once that's gone, don't expect much help from them.
Windows and PCs have caught up in just about every way to what Apple is doing, and offer a lot more options. 5-10 years ago when I got my first Mac laptop, Mac was way ahead of PC in the laptop area, Mac OS was way ahead of Windows, and the price premium for Mac wasn't that big. Today, with Windows 7 and 8, Windows is pretty darn good, and the price premium has balooned out of control. However, I am now highly unlikely to ever buy another Mac again, and won't consider them purely based on merit like I used to after Apple treating me the way that they did.

Lenovo makes some really cool stuff. I like the Ideapad Yoga, although I'm hoping that they fix the boneheaded lack of 5ghz Wifi in the next version. Given the price of building a desktop, and how easy it is to sync things across machines with Dropbox and other cloud services, I think I'll go for a two machine setup next time around. The MBP will last another year or two though for what I do with it.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #65
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnebly View Post
LOL Looks like the forum Nazis have come to TiVo's rescue to teach you a lesson. It's never TiVo's fault, it's yours and you should receive a serious beating for bringing this up. I think some just cant wait to pile on one of the "un-faithful".
What is a bit strange, is I'm usually one of the ones who get the attention of the TiVo Nazis, as I have had no shortage of issues and problems with TiVo.

I learned, soon enough, that voicing negativity about TiVo on TCF is a bit like walking into cop bar any yelling "cops suck!", just because you got a ticket for being 5 minutes late to move your car to the other side of the street.

If something came out that was equal to TiVo in features and cost (plus allows hard drive expansion), I'd want to have one ASAP. If it worked to my satisfaction, I'd be done with Tivo. Just not over something as trivial as being billed for a month more than I thought was right (regardless of official policy on that matter, which is clear).
Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #66
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnebly View Post
LOL It's never TiVo's fault,
It only looks that way because so many people come here whining about how they've been wronged, when the reality is they got exactly what they paid for and exactly what they should have expected but somehow feel entitled to more.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #67
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

She was completely unemphatic. She was polite, but really didn't care. When I told her this was likely going to result in me returning my Roamio, she seemed equally unconcerned.

I just don't think this is a company I want to do business with. I'll be exercising my 30-day return policy on the service and will return my device.
So exactly what does Tivo owe you?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #68
Darichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Windows and PCs have caught up in just about every way to what Apple is doing, and offer a lot more options. 5-10 years ago when I got my first Mac laptop, Mac was way ahead of PC in the laptop area, Mac OS was way ahead of Windows, and the price premium for Mac wasn't that big. Today, with Windows 7 and 8, Windows is pretty darn good, and the price premium has balooned out of control. However, I am now highly unlikely to ever buy another Mac again, and won't consider them purely based on merit like I used to after Apple treating me the way that they did.
Agreed. My gf (now my wife) was looking for a laptop about 5 years ago. The Apples were way ahead, imo. They were ultra books before Lenovo/Dell/Toshiba/Intel (and others) coined that name. The design of their laptops is great. And a refurb MacBook Air for ~$750 looks like a bargain. Microsoft finally caught up with Windows 7. The Mac OS now looks dated (imo).

Last edited by Darichard : 07-09-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #69
Darichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
So exactly what does Tivo owe you?
Absolutely nothing. I just don't want to do business with a company that would have me pay for service on a device that can't be used. They have every right to do so. I have every right to not do business with them.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #70
Darichard

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
What is a bit strange, is I'm usually one of the ones who get the attention of the TiVo Nazis, as I have had no shortage of issues and problems with TiVo.

I learned, soon enough, that voicing negativity about TiVo on TCF is a bit like walking into cop bar any yelling "cops suck!", just because you got a ticket for being 5 minutes late to move your car to the other side of the street.
You're welcome. If you have some less-than-positive comments to make I'd suggest you slip them in now which I've got them distracted and planning their next volley. (Darn it, I'm sure I just dug that hole a little deeper.)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #71
lessd

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. I just don't want to do business with a company that would have me pay for service on a device that can't be used. They have every right to do so. I have every right to not do business with them.
You don't have to do business with TiVo for any reason, or no reason, but you have a bogus complaint as TiVo is clear about how they charge, if you owned two homes and spent 6 months in home 2 and unplugged your TiVo in home 1 for the six months you were in home 2 would expect TiVo to look at their logs and see that your TiVo in home 1 has not been calling in and than not charge you?.
Comcast will put your service on hold for a nominal amount money, that keeps you phone number etc. but TiVo has no program like that.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #72
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
If you don't want to do business with a company that does that, why did you do business with them to begin with? The policy on subscription cancellations was in effect long before you subscribed that TivoHD? Tivo's published policy has never been to refund money for unused subscription time.
So that reasoning of yours is (borrowing from Lessd) bogus.
The claim that the service you were charged for couldn't be used is also bogus. It was a choice you made, you chose not to fix your TiVo.

Just to see how petty you're being...
What was the billing date on that Tivo? How much were you being charged each month? You said you cancelled on the 2nd, so it would be interesting to see just how much money you're whining about even though you're likely to say it's not the money, it's the principle.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #73
Bigg

Quote:
Agreed. My gf (now my wife) was looking for a laptop about 5 years ago. The Apples were way ahead, imo. They were ultra books before Lenovo/Dell/Toshiba/Intel (and others) coined that name. The design of their laptops is great. And a refurb MacBook Air for ~$750 looks like a bargain. Microsoft finally caught up with Windows 7. The Mac OS now looks dated (imo).
Yup. I agree.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #74
Darichard

Quote:
Just to see how petty you're being...
What was the billing date on that Tivo? How much were you being charged each month? You said you cancelled on the 2nd, so it would be interesting to see just how much money you're whining about even though you're likely to say it's not the money, it's the principle.
I don't know. It's not about the money.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #75
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I would agree. It's about you not being willing to abide by the user agreement that you agreed to.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #76
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Last edited by bareyb : 07-16-2014 at 10:55 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #77
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
You don't even know what the billing date was, so for all you know you could have paid for only 2 days of service that you didn't get to use.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #78
lessd

Quote:
You don't even know what the billing date was, so for all you know you could have paid for only 2 days of service that you didn't get to use.
Hay, that may be $3.00, you can get a Mickey-d's sandwich for that price.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #79
Darichard

Quote:
No, I don't even know what my billing date was. I'm clearly a terrible person who doesn't deserve a TiVo.

From my original post:
Quote:
She informed me that I would be billed for the HD through the end of the month.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #80
mschnebly

Unless you set that TiVo up as a prayer shrine with pictures no one is going to side with you here. And don't forget the pictures or you wont be believed. Don't want your TiVo service anymore? Why do you hate America? LOL

Quote:
No, I don't even know what my billing date was. I'm clearly a terrible person who doesn't deserve a TiVo.

From my original post:

mschnebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #81
dlfl
Cranky old novice

My prediction back in post #22:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
You know it's going to be a "fun" thread when the OP includes "loyal customer for X years" in a long rant...........
Has been fulfilled in spades.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #82
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

From my original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darichard
She informed me that I would be billed for the HD through the end of the month.
Yes, that statement from the csr means that you were billed through the end of the billing month, not through the end of July. You've already been informed of this, so if this is any indication of your comprehension skills, what you say the csr told you could be very different from what the csr actually said to you.

Not knowing your billing date (and apparently refusing to look it up) does not make you a terrible person, it only makes what you're doing here uninformed whining.

Last edited by scandia101 : 07-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #83
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Hay, that may be $3.00, you can get a Mickey-d's sandwich for that price.
Who pays $30/mo for a single tivo subscription?
A full price sub on an HD would be about $.86 for two days
Old 07-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #84
trip1eX

The OP is just acting out. Tivo is his scapegoat.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-10-2014 at 03:42 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #85
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
All I know is I sure wouldn't give up my TiVos because of anything a CSR did. If I operated on that premise I wouldn't have Comcast, a Phone, a Computer, or Electricity. Giving up his Tivo will do nothing to change anything except he'll be giving up the best DVR there is for something less. Who is he hurting other than himself?

Last edited by bareyb : 07-16-2014 at 10:56 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #86
lessd

Quote:
Who pays $30/mo for a single tivo subscription?
A full price sub on an HD would be about $.86 for two days
Maybe that why the OP is so upset, $30/month is a lot to pay for a TiVo.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #87
Grakthis

Isn't the way TiVo wants this to work is that you move the sub to the new box, rather than de-activate a sub and active a new one?
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #88
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Isn't the way TiVo wants this to work is that you move the sub to the new box, rather than de-activate a sub and active a new one?
No.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #89
Darichard

Quote:
so if this is any indication of your comprehension skills
I think my comprehension skills are above average. This doesn't mean I'm immune to making mistakes. Is this another personal attach? Kinda hard to tell.

Quote:
Not knowing your billing date (and apparently refusing to look it up) does not make you a terrible person, it only makes what you're doing here uninformed whining.
Why does it matter? From the beginning I've saying saying it's the principal, not the money. Or is my lack of comprehension getting in the way again?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #90
Darichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Maybe that why the OP is so upset, $30/month is a lot to pay for a TiVo.
I probably forgot to mention that it's not about the money.