TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

No video signal on the channel?

I had a Roamio go bad last week (first Tivo I've had in years go bad), and had Amazon send me another one, since they shipped the initial one. Problem is, when I try to record HD (sd is fine), in playback, I get:
Quote:
"The TIVO Box was not able to record this program because there was no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel that you do not receive."
Out of 3 Tivos in the house, this is the only one that gives me this, and yes, I can sit right there and watch the show while this is recording, yet it will still not give me the video when it's done.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Are you cable or OTA?

If you are cable, its likely that the cablecard isnt paired/configured correctly, needs new firmware and also if you have a tuning adapter it might not be setup/configured correctly.

Or, you picked something wrong when setting it up and you need to re-do guided setup.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Cablecard, trying setup now, we'll see if that works.
I find this very odd, honestly, first problem I've ever had with TiVo service like this. Like I said, I can watch the channel, even when recording. If the setup doesn't work, I'll have to see if the CC can ping the card and reset it.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

A bit of an update on this:

This also appears on transferred programs. I mean, things taken from PC, other Tivos. If they're not watched immediately, this happens, so it's not the cable signal.

I have a request in with the cable co. to double check the card configs, not sure if that's going to help.

Any other thoughts where this might be acting up??
Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
A bit of an update on this:

This also appears on transferred programs. I mean, things taken from PC, other Tivos. If they're not watched immediately, this happens, so it's not the cable signal.

I have a request in with the cable co. to double check the card configs, not sure if that's going to help.

Any other thoughts where this might be acting up??
I've seen things like this happen when I remove a cablecard and don't put it back in, or when I have changed to a different cablecard. Usually on "pak" channels, with Cox. They have some sort of odd protection mechanism, in my market, which nobody here acknowledges is possible (or everybody tells me is not possible).

Example: I record The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on IFC, which I have since watched more than once, after recording. Then, I remove or replace the cablecard, and the TiVo will state it didn't record the program due to no signal, and I can never watch that copy of it again. All the recordings from channels that work without the "CP Auth Received", status on the Cisco/SA cablecard will play back, but those that won't work without that second-stage of pairing will never play back again, unless the same card is reinstalled, and fully paired and authorized. Upon checking the CCI byte for the channels these programs recorded from, I find most are 0x00 (not protected by this flag).

It started after a certain cablecard firmware revision, about two flash updates back, did not happen before then, and continues this way ever since, even after migrating from Premieres to Roamios, and swapping my cablecards for different ones from Cox.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Turns out (oddly) that the expander drive was causing the issue. Unplugged that, told it to use just the base drive, and the problem went away
hmmm