TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
dedmon

internet connection speeds

Hi all, I am a VERY long time user of TiVo and have a problem that I can't find in the database here. I would really appreciate any insight.

I installed a TiVo Roamio and 2 Mini's last week. I am using the Roamio plus as a MOCA hub. Shortly after getting the whole thing set up I noticed that my internet throughput speeds were VERY low. A speed test showed a 1MPS download speed. My usual connection is 22MPS+.

Some info about my setup. I have Comcast, a new Motorola cable modem/wireless router. My main PC is set up using wireless N. The Roamio is connected with an Ethernet cable to the router. I also connect with an Ipad and 2 Iphones.

I have found that if I unplug the Roamio from the cable for 1 minute then do a network speed test my throughput goes to 22+ and even after plugging it back up it stays that way for a while. Eventually though I am back unable to connect and have to repeat the process.

I have ordered a MOCA POE filter and should be getting it today. I am planning on installing it just in front of my splitter. Does this sound reasonable or am I missing something.

Last edited by dedmon : 07-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.
dedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Read my current signature line, and see if the info there helps.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
dedmon

I am really sorry to be dense but I don't have a tuning adapter. My line comes into the house in my basement and is split by a 3 way splitter. One line goes to the TV room and the other two go to the Minis. The one in the TV room has an additional 2 way splitter with one leg to the TiVo and one to the Cable modem.

Sorry if I didn't fully understand your answer.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

You may need another poe filter, it's a common problem that Moca communications conflict with cable modems, the newer Surfboard modems have the Moca filter built into their coax connecter internally. When you get your filter install it in line to the coax feeding your cable modem and see what happens. If it helps, order another to install were you were going to put it, were the coax enters your home. Usually the filter is used just to isolate your Moca network but they are also needed to prevent interference with cable modems and tuning adapters which was what NoOneUknow was suggesting.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
dedmon

Thanks Nooneyouknow and Eboydog! I do in fact have a new surfboard modem. So the MOCA is built into it. I changed my wiring so that I have the POE then a two way splitter with one leg to the Modem and the other to the three way splitter that goes to the Roamio and the minis. It has been up for 24 hours and is zipping along at 32Meg/sec.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Diana Collins

The MOCA/Ethernet bridge works both ways...traffic on the Ethernet segment connected to the Roamio will go over to coax, but so will traffic on the coax pass over to the Ethernet. Sounds like there was something coming in on the coax, which then passed through the Roamio to the Ethernet and that was causing some issue in your router that slowed it to a crawl. Glad you have it working properly!

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote