Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #151
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
It's a bit frustrating listening to the whiners about how the new update isn't "snappy" when it's clearly more responsive...
Your definition of "whiners" must come from a strange dictionary...all some of us are doing is stating our feelings about the system response. "More responsive" certainly doesn't equal "snappy". I've said several times that it's quicker than it used to be. My definition of "snappy" doesn't apply to the responsiveness with this update.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #152
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
My definition of "snappy" doesn't apply to the responsiveness with this update.
Mine does. This keeps keeps the pressure of a Roamio until android streaming is implemented.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #153
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Mine does...

Your standards are pretty low, then...

XL4
Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #154
lpwcomp

Quote:
Your standards are pretty low, then...
Maybe I'm (one of) the last people who should interfere in a "discussion" such as this one, but can't we just say that "snappy" is a subjective evaluation while "faster/more responsive/snappier" is objective?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #155
brentil

Exactly, it's not like there is a measure definition of what snappy means. We all think it's snappy, you don't Bierboy, we got it, lets move on.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #156
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If you read the release notes posted in the Roamio section you'll also see they changed framework/languages for parts of the system.
It seems like this should've merited a larger version number bump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #157
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Tivo 20.4.2 Summer Release

Quote:
...We all think it's snappy, you don't Bierboy, we got it, lets move on.

"We all"? I don't think so....

XL4
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #158
jrtroo
User

Clearly "we all" did not include you. Not sure what you are arguing about. If you care so much for a superior description of snappy, you would be happier with a newer TiVo. I am pleased that the premiere has improved so much over the last two years, much more than I would have ever expected after the release of a new box.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #159
jgametest

HuluPlus responds a little better.

From the new interface it seems there is a little less lag time between transitions from Menu to HuluPlus yes still does it brief time out but response has improved.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #160
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i woke up to no remote response, missed recording, black screen, and a video window. had to hard boot by pulling the plug. just in case, i disconnected and reconnected my hdmi cables, because...

the day before, i pressed the "zoom" button to exit tivo central, and lost signal between tivo and my avr. i eventually corrected toggling the "live tv" and "channel up/down" buttons.

i'm now not convinced this release is entirely stable.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #161
monkeydust

Did some testing on my Elite this morning. I would say the speed improvements make it usable now. Certainly nowhere near as fast as the Roamio, but I don't absolutely loathe using it anymore. So, I guess that's something...
Old 07-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #162
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
From the new interface it seems there is a little less lag time between transitions from Menu to HuluPlus yes still does it brief time out but response has improved.
Everything up to the apps running should be better. The apps themselves are not Haxe but from reading the slides the layer they run on now runs on the native C++ bottom layer so there might be some benefit in their speed too but it wont be as much as the UI.

brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #163
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Did some testing on my Elite this morning. I would say the speed improvements make it usable now. Certainly nowhere near as fast as the Roamio, but I don't absolutely loathe using it anymore. So, I guess that's something...
That's encouraging. My Elite is *almost* acceptable with the HD Menus. It's annoying, but I like the features in the HD GUI well enough to put up with it. We have a Roamio now so that box is in the bedroom, but I'd certainly welcome a little more responsiveness. The Roamio on the other hand rocks. It's as responsive with the HD Menus as my Elite was with the SD Menus.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #164
bsmith1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
What do you mean? Has there been a problem? I'm using a Sony and haven't had any problems all these years.
Do you have a Sony TV which is directly connected to the Premiere, or do you have a Sony AVR that acts as the intermediary? I bought a new Samsung TV and Sony AVR and had so many HDMI problems with the Sony that I returned it and bought a Denon; no HDMI problems since then. So I think the issue was with the Sony AVR, not the Premiere. Just fyi...
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #165
londawg

Thumbs up No More Ads?

Since I got my update I haven't seen any Ads when I press pause. For me that's a winner!! The overall look and feel is refreshing too. Also, I have mine passing thru an Xbox One and haven't seen the Lost Signal message when it boots up from standby. Before the update there was sometimes a delay before the signal or handshake would show a video signal on the Xbox.
So far I'm luv'in it!

Lon
londawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #166
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
That's encouraging. My Elite is *almost* acceptable with the HD Menus. It's annoying, but I like the features in the HD GUI well enough to put up with it. We have a Roamio now so that box is in the bedroom, but I'd certainly welcome a little more responsiveness. The Roamio on the other hand rocks. It's as responsive with the HD Menus as my Elite was with the SD Menus.
Yeah, before with the Elite, I would often end up on the wrong item because of the lag and then have to back out and slowly go to where I was trying to get to. There is still a delay (not as bad as it was), but I don't hate it as much as I did after getting spoiled by my Plus and Mini. The Netflix app is still pretty slow though but it is usable.

I'm to the point now that I might consider buying a lifetime for my Elite for $99 if it was offered.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #167
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
You mean you wouldn't call it "snappy"?

XL4
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #168
JWhites

Can we all just agree that it works better with navigating around the menus after the update?!
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #169
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by londawg View Post
Since I got my update I haven't seen any Ads when I press pause. For me that's a winner!! The overall look and feel is refreshing too. Also, I have mine passing thru an Xbox One and haven't seen the Lost Signal message when it boots up from standby. Before the update there was sometimes a delay before the signal or handshake would show a video signal on the Xbox.
So far I'm luv'in it!

Lon
It's there, trust me. I'm still seeing them. It depends on the show. Normally I'm seeing ads for Charmin and Bounty and previews of upcoming new shows and #TIVOUPFRONT
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #170
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Can we all just agree that it works better with navigating around the menus after the update?!
Yes, I see a definite improvement on my Premieres.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #171
tivoboy

On my P4XL, I can defintly see a difference in performance, especially in the My Shows scrolling, which is welcome..

oddly, on the mini - which was always much quicker than my P4XL, I got the update yesterday and it seems a tad SLOWER and menu responses are slower - like when hitting play to start a show from the My Shows menu. Seems to take two clicks even though the mini acknowledges the initial click.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #172
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
...like when hitting play to start a show from the My Shows menu. Seems to take two clicks even though the mini acknowledges the initial click.
I've noticed increased start times for recordings accessed over the network. In my case, accessing a Premiere from my Roamio using MRS. It seems like there's an extra second or two after selecting play before the screen goes black and the video then loads as compared to 20.4.1.

Seems like there was a tweak to MRS in this update that has added a longer delay to load the remote video stream.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #173
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I've noticed increased start times for recordings accessed over the network. In my case, accessing a Premiere from my Roamio using MRS. It seems like there's an extra second or two after selecting play before the screen goes black and the video then loads as compared to 20.4.1.

Seems like there was a tweak to MRS in this update that has added a longer delay to load the remote video stream.
I noticed this problem in 20.4.1 ( it was not there in 20.3.8 ).
I timed it as taking between 5 to 8 seconds on some remote access screens (the select of the show name in the remote my show list and select play on remote access screen).

It has gotten a little better in the 20.4.2 release but the remote menus are still slow (maybe 3 to 5 seconds) compared to the local menu speed.

All my units are hardwired ethernet so no telling what is slowing down the access.....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #174
paully65

Smile Tivo 20.4.2 Summer Release

I got the update a couple of days ago and Wow! It really sped up my XL4. Super fast doing pretty much anything. I think the font is fine. It actually looks better in my opinion. Nice update Tivo!
paully65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #175
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Margret's update notes...

I don't know why she hasn't posted this here in the Premiere thread, but here are Margret's notes on the 20.4.2 update which include both the Roamio and Premiere boxes...

XL4
Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #176
PaRob1

Red face

I am missing something, or not looking in the right place. I am using HD menus,

"On-demand and web app options now in Guide: You're no longer limited to live TV when browsing the Guide. With on-demand and web app options now included, browse shows from yesterday, today or tomorrow and watch them anytime with the click of a button. "

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
PaRob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #177
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRob1 View Post
I am missing something, or not looking in the right place. I am using HD menus,

"On-demand and web app options now in Guide: You're no longer limited to live TV when browsing the Guide. With on-demand and web app options now included, browse shows from yesterday, today or tomorrow and watch them anytime with the click of a button. "

I couldn't find it, either, but I didn't spend much time poking around since I don't use any on-demand (other than very occasionally Netfilx)...

XL4
Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #178
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I couldn't find it, either, but I didn't spend much time poking around since I don't use any on-demand (other than very occasionally Netfilx)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRob1 View Post
...browse shows from yesterday, today or tomorrow and watch them anytime with the click of a button."...
this is talking about an added menu option when using the "info" button in the guide.

if a show is available vod, and you press "info", a fourth choice appears at the top of the list for you to "watch now from", and it gives you the options to watch either free (if available) or ppv.

before, when you pressed "info", the three choices were "record", "options, or "explore".

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #179
jrtroo
User

Hit info- then instead of recording/watching live it will allow you to directly jump to the online version, if available.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #180
PaRob1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Hit info- then instead of recording/watching live it will allow you to directly jump to the online version, if available.
Thank you.
PaRob1 is offline   Reply With Quote