Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #121
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Same here.

Would be an issue, except since I first got HD in 2004 I have refused to watch anything in SD on principle.
Damn right! Wish more people shared our view!
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #122
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
same for me since 2005, except for one show on one channel not offered in hd. the show only airs a few weeks each year, so no it's no big deal.
For me the two channels are OWN and TVLand.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #123
2trill4925

So I guess there's no more access to Netflix through the SD Menus.....
2trill4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #124
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
This is definitely a bug.

Set the channel to an SD 4:3 program,
Reset the HDUI (TDTUPP)
The Video is now stretched even though the display says Panel
Press Zoom 4Xs to reset to actual Panel
Quote:
No, it will default back to Full, you can force the bug by pressing ThumbsDown-ThumbsUp-Play-Play while in TiVo Central
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Well, that resets the HDUI. I assume a reboot would have the same effect. But does it revert for anything less?
Quote:
same for me since 2005, except for one show on one channel not offered in hd. the show only airs a few weeks each year, so no it's no big deal.
I was just moving through the Menus and the Roamio Pro randomly reset the HDUI.

This evening I checked my Premiere and the SD channels were Zoomed again, even though the display said Panel, so it also had defaulted back to Zoomed with no interaction on my part.

This Incorrect Aspect Ratio is also affecting Netflix.

If the Aspect Ratio is not correctly set to Panel before entering Netflix, then any Netflix SD content is either Full or Zoomed depending on what the setting was prior to launching Netflix. I vaguely remember this happening with a SW version before, maybe a year ago, but that could have been an NDA thing, I can't remember for sure.

You can test with "Everybody Loves Raymond" S01E01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #125
jrtroo
User

Quote:
If the Aspect Ratio is not correctly set to Panel before entering Netflix, then any Netflix SD content is either Full or Zoomed depending on what the setting was prior to launching Netflix.
Netflix has always kept whatever aspect setting the Tivo was using prior to the launch of netflix. Nothing new with that except the changing ratio issue is causing folks to see that happen more frequently.

Last edited by jrtroo : 07-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #126
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Netflix has always kept whatever aspect setting the Tivo was using prior to the launch of netflix. Nothing new with that except the changing ration issue is causing folks to see that happen more frequently.
Now that I think about it, you're right.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #127
AgentSmith

Wow

I'm extremely pleased with the update. It looks gorgeous and modern. Amazing what the font and color change does for the UI. Performance on my XL4 is fantastic, the fastest and most responsive any TiVo I've ever owned has been. Even the speed of the Xfinity and Netflix apps seems to have improved. I'm impressed as heck!
AgentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #128
tivoboy

Update is nice, faster that's always good.
Anyone know if there is a way to turn off a couple of the features like

can one somehow get RID of the list to the right of My Shows.. the new list?

Also, when making a new recording of a show that one MAY already have in the My Shows list, the first option is now "watch what you have in queue" instead of record this episode, so the click click click would actually take one to watching a show instead of recording something.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #129
Cheezmo

I don't know what people are calling "snappy", but from watching live TV and pressing the "List" button, it can take a full 5 seconds before my recorded shows list finishes displaying.

I hardly call that snappy, but it may well be an improvement.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #130
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
There is supposed to be a way. I don't remember how and the youtube video seems to be gone andI haven't gotten the update yet. I suggest you root around in the settings.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #131
tatergator1

Quote:

Also, when making a new recording of a show that one MAY already have in the My Shows list, the first option is now "watch what you have in queue" instead of record this episode, so the click click click would actually take one to watching a show instead of recording something.
Don't remember the exact steps, but yes, you can go back to the old style My Shows. Hit the "A" button. In the the box that comes up, select the last item, "Show Categories". I'm pretty sure the option to disable it is in there.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #132
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
I don't know what people are calling "snappy", but from watching live TV and pressing the "List" button, it can take a full 5 seconds before my recorded shows list finishes displaying.

I hardly call that snappy, but it may well be an improvement.
This seems to be quite variable; I'm on the record as saying "snappy" certainly isn't what I would call this. Improved, yes. Snappy, no....

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #133
andyf

Quote:

While in My Shows press "A" for options. Change categories to "Hide".
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #134
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The way I'm seeing this on a Roamio, is when in the guide, and picking a future (or currently buffering live) 1st airing of something (or even a repeat of a different episode number), the record button gives a menu that could mislead somebody to think they already have it in My Shows.

All it takes is to have a recording of the same program name existing in My Shows (or a pre-existing TDL entry with these same parameters). If none exist, you might not see this.

This is especially noticeable when recording the first airing of a news slot (like on CNN), where the program has the same name, the data is generic, and doesn't use episodes, but may sometimes use the NEW tag (which seems to make no difference).

This is something I consider likely to anger people who "trust" the TiVo to know what it is doing, the first time it happens, and they miss an episode of something that won't re-air soon, or won't ever, leaving the only option left to pay for a rental or purchase of that episode (when Hulu doesn't have it).

Once past being "fooled" once (shame on TiVo), missing this possibility in the future may be considered by some as a "fool me twice, shame on me" scenario. I don't feel it would be right to call this a true "fault of the user", even once aware of the issue existing.

I'm sure somebody will come up with some convoluted argument that this is a feature that is operating properly and as-intended.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #135
gigaguy

Got the update overnight. Not immediately that excited, but it's good to see Tivo trying to improve the Premiere even tho you know they want to sell Roamios. It seems a little faster and hopefully will be at a consistent speed.
The variable speed of the old UI made the slow days even more noticeable.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #136
Dan203
Super Moderator

I saw they specifically mentioned the speed in the email. I no longer have Premiere units but I'm curious if the speed actually improved.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #137
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I saw they specifically mentioned the speed in the email. I no longer have Premiere units but I'm curious if the speed actually improved.
yes, greatly improved (not to roamio levels).

i've noticed a much faster response time when using the remote to navigate and execute commands within the hdui menus. the menus respond and populate more quickly, and using "jump" commands like "page up/down" and "end/top of list" are much more responsive.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #138
Dan203
Super Moderator

Cool. I gave my sister my XL4 so she'll appreciate the bump. I'll put her on the priority list.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #139
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
yes, greatly improved (not to roamio levels).

i've noticed a much faster response time when using the remote to navigate and execute commands within the hdui menus. the menus respond and populate more quickly, and using "jump" commands like "page up/down" and "end/top of list" are much more responsive.
I'm still in the camp that insists they've improved, but not "greatly" or to "snappy" levels. Yes, improved....no, not snappy. But I like most everything about it. I did eliminate the third column in My Show...no need for it.

XL4
Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #140
Player01

Anyone having an issue with their external drives since getting the update?

I came home to find an "External Storage Missing" screen. I'm assuming this was after the update forced a reboot since there is no evidence of my power going out today. I've restarted multiple times but it keeps failing to recognize my external hard drive. I definitely don't want to lose all of my recordings.

Any suggestions?
Player01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #141
jrtroo
User

Normal things, reboot, new cables, test drive in pc.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #142
Player01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Normal things, reboot, new cables, test drive in pc.
Yeah, I've been rebooting constantly. Have to see if I have another cable around somewhere.

Tivo support says they don't see that I downloaded the update so that may not even be the issue. Though I don't know why my box would reboot otherwise...

Their best suggestion so far is to "reverse the cable". SMH
Player01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #143
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I'm still in the camp that insists they've improved, but not "greatly" or to "snappy" levels. Yes, improved....no, not snappy. But I like most everything about it. I did eliminate the third column in My Show...no need for it.
+1

I've left the third column since turning it off didn't seem to improve the response. And, having kids, I like having that kids stiff separate. It's nice for organizational purposes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #144
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I use a Harmony Ultimate remote to control everything, and frequently it will send a series of commands to perform a task. Prior to the update the response time was delayed enough that sometimes I wondered if I failed to execute the command on the touchscreen remote. Usually it was just the Tivo "waking up" and a few seconds later the screen would flash through a series of menus faster than would have been possible without the backlog of commands.

Biggest difference since the update is that this hasn't happened yet. Sometimes there is still a lag (I definitely wouldn't call it snappy), but not so bad that you have time to react and press more buttons that end up accidentally deleting a show or something.

Lag is mildly annoying, but gone are the 2-3 second delays that were at times utterly infuriating.
dcline414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #145
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
Anyone having an issue with their external drives since getting the update?

I came home to find an "External Storage Missing" screen. I'm assuming this was after the update forced a reboot since there is no evidence of my power going out today. I've restarted multiple times but it keeps failing to recognize my external hard drive. I definitely don't want to lose all of my recordings.

Any suggestions?
Nope no problems with the external drives by me.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #146
brentil

It's a bit frustrating listening to the whiners about how the new update isn't "snappy" when it's clearly more responsive. Plenty of UI interactions that took 2~3 seconds function in < 1s now. I mean seriously, we're talking about a dual core 400mhz CPU with limited memory footprint. If you read the release notes posted in the Roamio section you'll also see they changed framework/languages for parts of the system. This is a pretty massive undertaking with a net benefit of a faster interface with potential further gains as the refine the system. Let alone that they took the effort to ensure this worked on Premiere devices and not just Roamio/Minis. But no, instead we'll just whine about how our pre-smartphone generation hardware isn't instantaneous...

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #147
JWhites

Quote:
I use a Harmony Ultimate remote to control everything, and frequently it will send a series of commands to perform a task. Prior to the update the response time was delayed enough that sometimes I wondered if I failed to execute the command on the touchscreen remote. Usually it was just the Tivo "waking up" and a few seconds later the screen would flash through a series of menus faster than would have been possible without the backlog of commands.

Biggest difference since the update is that this hasn't happened yet. Sometimes there is still a lag (I definitely wouldn't call it snappy), but not so bad that you have time to react and press more buttons that end up accidentally deleting a show or something.

Lag is mildly annoying, but gone are the 2-3 second delays that were at times utterly infuriating.
Sounds like what you were experiencing was command "rubberbanding" or "warping" where all the commands get bunched together then fire off like the snapping of a rubberband.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #148
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
It's a bit frustrating listening to the whiners about how the new update isn't "snappy" when it's clearly more responsive...Let alone that they took the effort to ensure this worked on Premiere devices and not just Roamio/Minis...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #149
dnorth12

I am a little slow on the uptake once in a while. I signed up for the priority list last night for the P4 in the living room, but not the bedroom XL4. Came home from work and already pending restart on the living room. Should have done the bedroom as well last night, but I did it just now. I doubt that it will update over the weekend, but I could be wrong. Guess I'll see.

I'm always happy to add nothing to the conversation. Let me know if you want to know any other mundane stuff.

Edit: And the update is done and definitely snappier than previously - I would even call it snappy.
dnorth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #150
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:

That could explain my situation; I use the Harmony One.

XL4