TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Do you need a Tuning Adapter?

Do you still have to use a tuning adapter with the Premiere?? That would be a big one in the plus column...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

If you needed one before, you still need one for the Premiere. The TP unfortunately doesn't change anything on this front.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-16-2010 at 02:46 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
If you needed one before, you still need one for the Premiere. The TP unfortunately doesn't change anything on this front.
Thanks!

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Sandbomb

OK maybe this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a tuning adapter? Does that refer to some mechanism that lets the TiVo box communicate with the cable box?
Sandbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbomb View Post

OK maybe this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a tuning adapter? Does that refer to some mechanism that lets the TiVo box communicate with the cable box?
In order to overcome bandwidth limitations, some cable providers use a technology called switched digital video (SDV). Basically, it's a form of video-on-demand where a particular channel is only sent to a subscriber when they request it. This is not a problem when you are dealing with the cable company's equipment, but the TiVo is only a one-way device and has no way to directly request the channel. Consequently, a device called a tuning adapter is necessary as a go-between. The TA is provided by the cable company and hooks up to the TiVo via the USB port.

Here is some more information on the subject:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/133

Last edited by gweempose : 03-17-2010 at 09:02 PM.
gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Sandbomb

Helpful info. Thanks
Sandbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
TrueTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbomb View Post
Helpful info. Thanks
You should also note that a tuning adapter (TA) doesn't effect the TiVo functionality in any way. It's just a 2-way modem that the TiVo will use to request the channel you've chosen. Once the TA is connected and configured, it just sits in the background while you use your TiVo normally.
TrueTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTurbo View Post

Once the TA is connected and configured, it just sits in the background while you use your TiVo normally.
In theory.
gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Craigyg69

So why can't the tuning adapter also be used for OnDemand?
Craigyg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
TrueTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigyg69 View Post
So why can't the tuning adapter also be used for OnDemand?
It can be, but you need front-end software to support the functionality. Maybe one day, TiVo will provide an update that includes VoD functionaity, but remember, that software would be useless for people who currently DON'T need a TA!

If SDV spreads to the majority of cable TV providers, the chance of TiVo embracing VoD will increase. I don't have any facts or figures but I suspect that at the moment, SDV is a distinct minority amongst the providers.
TrueTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
D_vadout

Types of tuning adapters for Tivo series 3 HD

I'm parting ways with Time Warner Cable due to price increases which means I'm having to give up their equipment such as cable cards & tuning adapters.

I was given a Cisco STA1520 adapter for my Tivo and I liked it. Since I have to give up cable TV and haven't turned my Tivo on since I removed everything what kind of tuning adapter could I use besides the STA1520? I was given a Cisco DTA170HD adapter but never used that. Would that work?

I don't know how I'm going to get use to not having cable TV. The only time I ever lived w/o it was back in the mid 80's to 1994.
D_vadout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_vadout View Post
I'm parting ways with Time Warner Cable due to price increases which means I'm having to give up their equipment such as cable cards & tuning adapters.

I was given a Cisco STA1520 adapter for my Tivo and I liked it. Since I have to give up cable TV and haven't turned my Tivo on since I removed everything what kind of tuning adapter could I use besides the STA1520? I was given a Cisco DTA170HD adapter but never used that. Would that work?

I don't know how I'm going to get use to not having cable TV. The only time I ever lived w/o it was back in the mid 80's to 1994.
Not sure what you are talking about here. If you no longer have cable, you have no use or need for a tuning adapter. Are you going to use your Premiere for OTA? You don't need a tuning adapter for that.
UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:

If you're giving up cable, why do you need a tuning adapter?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
poppagene
User

Quote:

You don't use (or need) a tuning adapter for television received over the air through an antenna. And I believe that fios tv also works without a tuning adapter (although you will still need the cablecard). Dish or Directv do not work with your TiVo with or without a tuning adapter.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:

So are you going to hook up an antenna to the TiVo and just get Over The Air TV?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #16
cannonz

Quote:

The DTA170HD is a stripped down cable box a DTA (digital transport adapter) not a TA (tuning adapter)
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
Do you still have to use a tuning adapter with the Premiere?? That would be a big one in the plus column...
what Tivo did you have before? All Tivo's that need a cable card need the SDV adapter unless your area is not using SDV.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote