TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
Baseballsucks

@tivodesign

As a seasoned programmer the more v87 errors I see the more I question my Tivo loyalty. 10 years as a loyal customer is quickly fading.. This error is obviously a bug within the code. The error almost always happens on recordings that are active (not complete). The system will fail to fast forward then the particular recording will fail with v87 over and over. Can't blame this on a network connection when every other saved recording and live TV continues to work.
Baseballsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballsucks View Post
As a seasoned programmer the more v87 errors I see the more I question my Tivo loyalty. 10 years as a loyal customer is quickly fading.. This error is obviously a bug within the code. The error almost always happens on recordings that are active (not complete). The system will fail to fast forward then the particular recording will fail with v87 over and over. Can't blame this on a network connection when every other saved recording and live TV continues to work.
Your a customer of TiVo, your no more loyal than any other customer of TiVo, you can be loyal to your wife by not being tempted by other young woman, you can be loyal to your insurance agent by paying more for your insurance because of your loyalty to him/her, you purchase TiVo because it you (and I and most on this Forum) feel it the best option out there, not because of any loyalty you have for the TiVo company.
OK I got this loyalty crap off my chest and I did not even help you with your problem, because I don't know how, sorry.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Chris Gerhard

I am a 13 year TiVo user, still love the product, but if something better was available and I could unload my TiVos and get it at a bargain price, I would be out of here. Compared to Windows Media Center and everything else I have played with or read about, TiVo is still the best for my needs and I only use TiVoHDs and TiVo Premieres. The Roamio, despite using a name I don't like appears to be the best yet, but I don't own one and won't likely buy one since it isn't enough of an upgrade for my needs.

As far as error v87, good luck, I don't know anything about it but I can understand the frustration, especially for a seasoned programmer I am sure strives for software to run without such issues. I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper sack.
Chris Gerhard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
htruong74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballsucks View Post
I agree with you. My calls to Tivo Customer Service have gone to /Dev/null. Their upper management should change the leadership who is responsible for their Customer Support dept. It has been 10 years of the same script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I am a 13 year TiVo user, still love the product, but if something better was available and I could unload my TiVos and get it at a bargain price, I would be out of here. Compared to Windows Media Center and everything else I have played with or read about, TiVo is still the best for my needs and I only use TiVoHDs and TiVo Premieres. The Roamio, despite using a name I don't like appears to be the best yet, but I don't own one and won't likely buy one since it isn't enough of an upgrade for my needs.

As far as error v87, good luck, I don't know anything about it but I can understand the frustration, especially for a seasoned programmer I am sure strives for software to run without such issues. I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper sack.

If there was a better product, I will unload my Tivo's too. This love hate relationship is getting tiring. I love that it works sometimes. But hate it when there are bugs and Tivo's not doing a thing about it.
htruong74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Same here on having zero "loyalty" to TiVo. I buy and use it because it's the best option out there in the core DVR functions. If something better came along, I'd be gone.

However, we might not be the ones leaving TiVo. TiVo may leave us first. It's no big secret that TiVo is looking for an exit strategy from the retail channel.

They want their MSO partnerships to expand, and want to be bought. When TiVo gets bought, we might find that product "lifetime" service gets re-defined by the company that buys them. If things seem bad now, just remember they can always be worse.

TiVo has already set the precedent with their experiments in other countries. "Lifetime" can easily be re-defined to how long the product was "reasonably" expected to be in service, not by how long somebody can keep repairing one and keeping it "alive". I'd imagine lawsuits, and a court deciding what the "lifetime" of each generation of TiVo is, and requiring the company that buys TiVo to keep the life-support (TiVo Service) on until said time has elapsed on all "lifetime" TiVo service units, of each model. I would speculate that the date for turning off life-support (TiVo Service) would be based on the defined reasonable expected lifetime, and when the very last "lifetime" subscription was sold, for each generation of TiVo.

I'd imagine that a court could also give the option for a company that buys TiVo to simply issue pro-rated refunds for the TiVo Service before turning it off.

I'd speculate that the true "life expectancy" of a TiVo would be about 3 years, 5 at most.

Yet, there are still TiVo owners that feel entitled to a refund (or transfer of TiVo Service to a newer model), when their Series 1 or Series 2 TiVo drops dead and can't be repaired. These are the ones who always call themselves "loyal customers".

It seems the ones that yell "loyal customer" while thumping their chests, have a tendency to be the least "loyal", and what they are really expressing is that (they feel) TiVo owes them something for a product with which the "lifetime" service has paid for itself nearly a decade ago, and even paid off what they paid for the hardware, and maybe even added up to a virtual profit. Yet, they are enraged that "TiVo is doing nothing for their loyal customers"...

I fully expect such "loyal customers" to create a legal definition for "TiVo Rage", when they completely lose it, when TiVo gets bought, and "lifetime" is no longer how long they can keep repairing a unit with a lifetime service TSN.

When I'd start to worry, would be the day that TiVo stops offering product lifetime service (they have done so before, but circumstances were different).

Now I've said my own pent-up bit on the "loyal customer" crap, when it comes to TiVo owners.

Disclaimer: I do not claim that any/all of what I have just expressed is fact. It is based on facts, subjected to my interpretations and observations, and the end-results are opinions, assumptions, and predictions which may, or may not, ever happen, or may happen differently (better or worse).
Old 07-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'd speculate that the true "life expectancy" of a TiVo would be about 3 years, 5 at most.
I'm just quibbling over a detail here; I agree with most of what you say: the absolute minimum life expectancy that could be claimed is 5 1/2 years. That's the period that TiVo is currently amortizing a lifetime sub over in their financial statements.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I'm just quibbling over a detail here; I agree with most of what you say: the absolute minimum life expectancy that could be claimed is 5 1/2 years. That's the period that TiVo is currently amortizing a lifetime sub over in their financial statements.
I did originally type 5 years, then figured I had better give a range. Maybe I went the wrong direction with it.

I didn't say I had all the facts. When it comes to financial matters with corporations, I won't claim to be an expert at understanding them.