TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
bmgoodman

Thumbs down Another Roamio disappointment

Let me start by saying I've been with Tivo for over a decade, and it's still my favorite DVR. But aside from the ongoing failure of getting streaming to Android devices to work, there's one thing that still really bothers me about my Roamio Pro: Home media access.

I just shut down my old Windows Home Server that I built in 2008. I was using Tivo's Home Media apps to view my photos and listen to my music through the Tivo and it had worked just fine (despite its dated user interface).

Now I bought a Synology DS412+ NAS that comes with seeming a lot of capability, to include DLNA. But I find that out-of-the-box, my state-of-the-art Roamio Pro won't talk to it at all!

I've looked around, and it seems I can go through some Linux machinations to get PyTivo running on the DS412+, involving putty, ssh, and maybe some voodoo chant.

I've also found some other media streaming boxes that apparently *will* talk to the DS412+ right out of the box. So I ask myself, *why* is this second generation "one box to rule them" Roamio Pro *still* not easily able to communicate with NAS devices?

So now I put this issue up to the many of you who are much farther along than I am in this new "quest": here, in mid-2014, what do YOU recommend for viewing my personal photos, music, and movies (mostly home movies) on my 2007 HDMI HDTV?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
scicarb

I feel your pain.I've owned seven TiVos over the years. Plus I've been a longtime pytivo user, but the Roamio won't reliably see the shares any more. So I'm seriously considering moving to Plex with a Roku or an android stick. This may be the last TiVo I buy. I'm also truly underwhelmed by the strategy to chase Apple in the mobile streaming market when they sell fewer devices than just Samsung. Overall the Roamio feels hobbled. Maybe they made too many compromises to make the cableco happy, or they dropped the ball in QA testing...either way it is less than it could have been.
scicarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

So you're disappointed that a new box still doesn't do something that your old boxes also didn't do? and that Tivo didn't claim it could do?

DLNA just has not ever been on Tivo's roadmap, it's just one of those things they don't feel is important (not saying I agree with them)
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
So you're disappointed that a new box still doesn't do something that your old boxes also didn't do? and that Tivo didn't claim it could do?

DLNA just has not ever been on Tivo's roadmap, it's just one of those things they don't feel is important (not saying I agree with them)
Yes, I am disappointed. It's not 2005 any more. Or 2008. I still love it as a DVR. But a $900 box in 2014 should pretty much do everything the myriad also-rans can do. DLNA or UPnP or *something*. Tivo Desktop software for Windows was cutting edge around a decade ago (maybe). But the world is less windows-centric now. If they can toss in Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Spotify, Pandora, etc., I don't think I'm asking for the moon.

Oh, and if you still think I'm not right to be disappointed, then let me fall back on the "promised" Android streaming that's still coming out just any day now....
Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
SullyND
L:27-31

Didn't TiVo announce some sort of DLNA deal a year or so ago?

2012. Looks like the page no longer exists.

This work?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=492612

Last edited by SullyND : 06-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
sheshechic

It really is sad that Tivo doesn't offer Plex. IMO, it's easier than DLNA. Since they don't, you could either add Roku, Fire TV or a new TV to the mix. With Roku and Fire TV you can use Plex, plus Netflix and Amazon (including Prime) look and behave much better than on Tivo. With a tv upgrade you'll get DLNA.
sheshechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Didn't TiVo announce some sort of DLNA deal a year or so ago?

2012. Looks like the page no longer exists.

This work?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=492612
Ah, they announced this DLNA deal in just 2012? Well, no wonder it's not ready yet. It's probably slated to arrive just after android streaming, and at least a month before hell freezes over!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
trip1eX

tivo has always been behind in services other than their core DVR strengths. it shouldnt be a surprise.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
tivo has always been behind in services other than their core DVR strengths. it shouldnt be a surprise.
This is why I have another device connected to each of my tv's. Tivo is a great DVR, but for streaming or DLNA you need to go with another box.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I guess I foolishly thought the whole "one box to rule them all" advertising would have at least implied pulling content from a CIFS or NFS share on my home network without still needing "Tivo Desktop". Of course, I would have bought the box anyway, but I was hoping for just a bit more than what was delivered.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
tomhorsley

This is why I run my computer with my TV as the primary display 99% of the time. I can play anything on my computer on my TV (or stream it from my computer to my android tablet :-). Only when I want to watch live TV do I switch the display to the TiVo.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
jrtroo
User

That was advertising speak, which is nearly always BS for any product. Plus, it was for a different product, the Premiere, and was eventually dropped.

Buy a product for what it actually does, not for what you would like it to do.

pyTivo is awesome, the instructions i found by quickly searching for your NAS looked fairly simple to follow, even if you don't know linux. I use it in my WHS setup without issue.

Last edited by jrtroo : 07-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I just can't help but notice how few devices that are TV-connected can even be found/bought these days, which don't support DLNA, even going back years ago. Other devices shipped without it, and got it later.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
That was advertising speak, which is nearly always BS for any product. Plus, it was for a different product, the Premiere, and was eventually dropped.

Buy a product for what it actually does, not for what you would like it to do.

pyTivo is awesome, the instructions i found by quickly searching for your NAS looked fairly simple to follow, even if you don't know linux. I use it in my WHS setup without issue.
They looked simple to me, too. The reality so far has been different. And I found some of the helper packages were abandoned. Installing a bootstrapper also means no software support from Synology. I'm still working through some dead ends.

I think I'm going to save myself grief and buy a WD TV for $100 and use my TiVo for only DVR.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

WD TV Live & Live Hub products

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
They looked simple to me, too. The reality so far has been different. And I found some of the helper packages were abandoned. Installing a bootstrapper also means no software support from Synology. I'm still working through some dead ends.

I think I'm going to save myself grief and buy a WD TV for $100 and use my TiVo for only DVR.

Thanks
I own two WD TV Live Hubs with 1TB internal notebook drives. They are hands-down the best alternative for OTT apps via TiVo, IMO. YMMV, of course. When it comes to the most support, for the most formats and most standards, it's hard to beat.

There is not a single complaint I have about them. The thing I've noticed, and many others have as well, is they have a gigabit ethernet port, and switch ports confirm gigabit connection, yet they only work at 100Mbit speeds. WD updates the software frequently, and gives FULL changelogs. I'm guessing if they could fix the slow networking, they would have by now.

I use them as NAS storage for my laptop backups, and wish the gigabit worked at gigabit (or even just half of gigabit). One oddly absent feature is wireless. The hub models don't have wireless built in, so an external USB adapter is required. Flash drives and additional external drives can be hooked up to the USB 2.0 ports (3 total, supporting hubs for more).

What I find odd about the choice of hard drive is that they didn't use an AV-GP drive in such an AV intensive product. They used a WD Blue notebook drive. Older model used a height that wouldn't fit in a modern laptop. Newer ones use slimmer notebook-fitting height drives.

They also have a slingplayer built in, and the product is highly configurable, versatile, and quite the speed freak on everything but that ethernet port matter. It has been a year since I last bought one, so maybe newer ones run faster there.

I highly doubt anybody will be disappointed by WD TV products (other than the slow gigabit ethernet matter, if you really need speed there.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have the other WD TV products, and to know of anything that might have been changed over the last year (in the hardware, which firmware updates can't magically change the specs of).

They also have HDMI v1.4 outputs, component, composite, and multiple audio options.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Do the WD TV products handle ISOs?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Do the WD TV products handle ISOs?
I think they do. I know I can rip a DVD to the standard DVD file system (same file names and structures as on a DVD) and they will play it.

I'm tempted to say yes to ISO files, but can't recall for sure.

I once mistakenly told you that they supported Amazon prime streaming, but they did not have that support at that time. It may have since been added.

I'll get back to you after I see where they are at, at this point. So many updates go out, adding completely new features, along with the updates, it's hard to keep up.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
trip1eX

Quote:
I guess I foolishly thought the whole "one box to rule them all" advertising would have at least implied pulling content from a CIFS or NFS share on my home network without still needing "Tivo Desktop". Of course, I would have bought the box anyway, but I was hoping for just a bit more than what was delivered.
I would have thought the complete opposite because I doubt 1% of Tivo customers have a need to pull content from networked shares.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
jackief

I have a WD Live box I bought recently to connect to the slingbox which is connected to the tivo mini which is in another location. I can confirm no Amazon prime streaming. We use the WD box just for the sling app and the netflix app from our cottage. The sling app is g*d-awful slow, but sure beats needing to have cable or another solution to watch hi def. We are upgrading the router here so perhaps the interface would be better. In my research it was the best solution to get the sling onto the tv without having to go through a phone etc.
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
bmgoodman

I just got a 3rd gen WD TV, which easily streams from my NAS. I also get slide shows with transitions and background music. Roamio lacks any of these skills. I don't plan to keep beating this dead horse. I will return to complaining about the lack of android streaming...
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #21
lessd

Quote:
I just got a 3rd gen WD TV, which easily streams from my NAS. I also get slide shows with transitions and background music. Roamio lacks any of these skills. I don't plan to keep beating this dead horse. I will return to complaining about the lack of android streaming...
As long as TiVo does not say the Roamio is has the skills you want, as you put it, skills that TiVo never said it had, this post should be in the suggestion part of this Forum.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
At the rate things are going my next pair of shoes is likely to support DLNA streaming to my TV. Practically everything can do it. But not the "most advanced television recording device"... heck the stupid thing barely can manage its own feature set, let alone third-party "supported" apps. (I just noticed the Netflix itty-bitty-window that usually shows the credits now is showing a tiny window into the full screen of the credits rather than the full screen shrunken down to the tiny window.)

I imagine we might see that one fixed in the 2017 update -- presuming they don't replace the Roamio line with yet another name and then abandon work on older models.

The only thing I can really credit the Roamio with is being fast at what it does as whenever I end up back in the Premier (that I have to keep active because the Roamio fails recording so much) and it's just amazing how I could ever have endured that agonizingly slow interface. And I suppose that's why I never used the HD interface on the Series 3.

Words cannot express how disappointed I've become over the last few years and few iterations with TiVo's product. Their name is now synonymous with the antithesis of innovation in this market category. They are now existing almost exclusively on the work they did a decade and longer ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #23
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Funny thing about all this lack of DLNA support in the Roamio talk:

Back in the speculation thread, where everybody was guessing what the Roamio would bring and stating their hopes, I brought up DLNA support, since it hadn't come up yet.

I got sacked by multiple members, from multiple directions... Who would even want DLNA? What good was it? DLNA is junk! I pretty much excused myself from participating in such a hostile thread.

If DLNA is so bad, useless, flawed, and all the other negative things it was called, in the speculation thread, then why is it one of the things I use the most when not watching TiVo recordings, and it never gives me any problems?

I think TiVo is just afraid of giving us the power to "bring our own content", such as via NAS devices. They'd have to figure out some way to make their analytics work to sell our DLNA usage data, as well as figure out how to force us to see ads while viewing DLNA content. Gotta get the Charmin promo in our face somehow...
Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

I think TiVo is just afraid of giving us the power to "bring our own content", such as via NAS devices. They'd have to figure out some way to make their analytics work to sell our DLNA usage data, as well as figure out how to force us to see ads while viewing DLNA content. Gotta get the Charmin promo in our face somehow...
Thanks, nooneuknow, for the feedback. Above all else remember to "enjoy the go!"TM
Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
Chris Gerhard

TiVo is a great one box solution if you only want the things it does well. For me, TiVo is a great DVR, nothing more and I rely on Google TV and a network PC for everything else. There is no one box solution for me, everything else falls short, not just TiVo. I have certainly been happy with DLNA for my network file playback needs but I have seen many others indicate it isn't well suited for theirs. Plex, PlayOn, and PlayLater have become really useful for me.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #26
DarcyM

I use DLNA all the time. I am so glad my TV has it built in. Every now and then I will fire up my Google TV to use plex for the pretty interface, but the DLNA is a god send to see all my MP4s on my TV. If TiVo wanted to, they could implement it fairly easy enough if they really wanted to. But sadly it doesn't seem they want to.
DarcyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #27
Danziru

DLNA or Plex Please!

I have to agree completely with most of the sentiment here. It's not a herculean task to add this functionality. Most phones have it built in, most smart TVs have it built in (LG and Samsung for sure for a few years now). I could go on. What really gets me is that I switched over from a retail Moxi HD DVR which came out in 2008 and played local media via DLNA just fine. My Tivo Roameo Pro was an upgrade in some respects, and a big step back in others.

The key things for me are:
1. I don't want another device if I don't need one. I want the "one box"
2. Having other devices mean I need another 2 remotes. One to change the receiver input and then the device remote

I have a roku which works well for this, but I shouldn't need it. It adds clutter and it's a whole bunch of extra stuff I need to teach the family. Please add support for local media. I would actually pass around a donation jar if I could!

Last edited by Danziru : 07-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Danziru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #28
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

WD TV Product refresh cycle?

I was just on the WD website, and spent a good chunk of time there:

1. The WD TV Live Hub w/internal drive seems to be discontinued (or in limbo).

2. The other products are moved-around, and the spec PDFs are pretty outdated on what I'm used to seeing there.

3. They now have a "WD Elements Play" product that's like the Live Hub, minus the streaming services, and it's not on the main media player page.

It's like they are following Roku's lead when it comes to naming their products in confusing ways, and recycling product names. Listed in order of features.

1. WD TV Play - Streaming device for streaming services, USB, & NAS content.

2. WD TV Live - Same as above, but adds "Plays MPEG2 videos and DTS audio"

3. WD TV - Same as the two above, but adds "Share your Miracast-enabled Android screen on your TV" & "Customize your WD TV home screen".

So, the plainly-named "WD TV" is now the King, as opposed to the lowest rank: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homee.../mediaplayers/

Another page with the "WD Elements Play" on it (and other AV products): http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/?segment=3

The marketing and specs make the .ISO file playing seem questionable. Some products list as ISO/VOB supporting, but deeper in read like only VOB is supported.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #29
bmgoodman

Quote:
I was just on the WD website, and spent a good chunk of time there:

1. The WD TV Live Hub w/internal drive seems to be discontinued (or in limbo).

2. The other products are moved-around, and the spec PDFs are pretty outdated on what I'm used to seeing there.

3. They now have a "WD Elements Play" product that's like the Live Hub, minus the streaming services, and it's not on the main media player page.

It's like they are following Roku's lead when it comes to naming their products in confusing ways, and recycling product names. Listed in order of features.

1. WD TV Play - Streaming device for streaming services, USB, & NAS content.

2. WD TV Live - Same as above, but adds "Plays MPEG2 videos and DTS audio"

3. WD TV - Same as the two above, but adds "Share your Miracast-enabled Android screen on your TV" & "Customize your WD TV home screen".

So, the plainly-named "WD TV" is now the King, as opposed to the lowest rank: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homee.../mediaplayers/

Another page with the "WD Elements Play" on it (and other AV products): http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/?segment=3

The marketing and specs make the .ISO file playing seem questionable. Some products list as ISO/VOB supporting, but deeper in read like only VOB is supported.
Yes, the naming scheme by WD is pretty pathetic! The shocking part is that WD TV, the "king" as you put it, has no support for Netflix, while the two "lower" models still do.

In my case, having Netflix on Tivo (hooray!), I didn't like the omission, but I'm going to live with another product that has a notable "hole" in its feature set.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #30
kdmorse

Quote:
Their product naming is awful. Their website is awful. Their PDF's are awful.

But, my WD TV Live does play .ISOs directly. Always has.

I can't vouch for the ability of any other WD TV <*> products.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote