TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Falling Skies "Shoot the Moon" (8/31/14) [SPOILERS!]

Does anyone believe that the Volm let Lexi crash into the power plant without beaming her out?

Is anyone still watching?

Daddy! Come save the puny humans!

The good guys can one-shot all the eshfeeni ships, but don't have the tech to find Tom's beamer?

Shades of Ellen Ripley with the flamethrower.

I must admit, I did get a little misty eyed at the father/daughter goodbye scene. (When Lexi was a brunette).

I opted to make this post about part 2 of the finale, instead of both eps.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Does anyone believe that the Volm let Lexi crash into the power plant without beaming her out?
Well, yes, I do, since they clearly believe she is on the lost Beamer with Tom...
Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

The best thing about this season was the ending blurb saying that next season will be the final season. If Lexi returns, I'm out.

I still wish somebody would shoot Pope.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
thalador

So disappointed with this show. Season 1 was great, then a 7 month unexplained time jump, season 2 was ok, time jump, season 3 was horrible
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Silverman

Lexi played a very important role doing that thought control of the ship, and it is not that far fetched anymore. They are developing real thought control for handicap people now and for military you can bet they will adopt it within even a hundred years right here on earth. Now imagine a society thousands of years further along.

The thought Lexi might have beamed away and be alive I hadn't thought about. That now makes sense why the beamer didn't just return, so that may well be right. To those that think a pretty girl in a battle like that is nonsense, well it is not. Look at all the servicemen who returned from our wars with Vietnam/Japanese wives. More happens in battles than just the gritty fighting some here want only to see.

As far as plot holes, well there is the why didn't the Volm destroy the moon base long ago if a single ship can do that? Looks like a single nuke missile even we had would have done the job if delivered there by the Volm, hmmm...
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, yes, I do, since they clearly believe she is on the lost Beamer with Tom...
What, they don't have sensors?

Somebody is clearly with Tommy. By his dialog, I'm expecting an older version of Lexi, perhaps.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Somebody is clearly with Tommy. By his dialog, I'm expecting an older version of Lexi, perhaps.
In the mirror in the background, it looked like it was some sort of bipedal winged creature (albeit blurry). Could be Lexi in her post-cocoon "butterfly" form, could be his first wife appearing to him as an angel.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
In the mirror in the background, it looked like it was some sort of bipedal winged creature (albeit blurry). Could be Lexi in her post-cocoon "butterfly" form, could be his first wife appearing to him as an angel.
It looked to me like a Skitter without/before the crust...
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I missed that. I'll have to order it on iTunes/Amazon and check it out.

The thing I do remember is that he didn't seem surprised by whatever it was.

ETA: Wow, just watched this on Prime and I can't believe how much I missed on cable. I couldn't even see that he was looking out onto a star field before. And the being in the reflection appeared to have 4 legs and short wing-like appendages. I'm thinking you're right about it being New Lexi, just from his demeanor.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

Last edited by RGM1138 : 09-02-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Something else I wondered about. The binocs/viewing device that Hal was looking at the moon through had bright light coming out the front and back. Something the prop master probably thought looked cool, but wasn't practical.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Probably like when people wear enclosed helmets with light inside the glass. Yes, that means that we can see their faces when it's dark...but it also means that they can't see out the glass.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Probably like when people wear enclosed helmets with light inside the glass. Yes, that means that we can see their faces when it's dark...but it also means that they can't see out the glass.
Speaking of, I hate that they shoot this show so dark. It's like the DP finds locations where you can't see anything and tries to get by on available light. There's no detail in the shadows at all.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

My biggest question, wouldn't messing around with the moon affect stuff on earth like the tides causing tidal waves and all kinds of other nasty stuff?

Lexi looks MUCH better as a brunette without all the creepy makeup. I hope next year she's a "real" girl. I'm in for at least one episode next season to see if they stopped screwing around with the show. First season was great. More of a war story and a survival story. Season 2 was mostly more of the same, but the last 2 seasons they've made it less of a war story and more into a show like V. It was a much better show when there was little interaction between aliens and humans other than knocking off skitters and the story was about them surviving and trying to find a weakness in the Aliens that they were fighting. There was no need for a good alien vs. bad alien storyline.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
My biggest question, wouldn't messing around with the moon affect stuff on earth like the tides causing tidal waves and all kinds of other nasty stuff?
All they did was blow up a base on the moon, not the moon itself.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
mr.unnatural

I don't believe the new alien is Lexi at all. She said that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, which leads me to assume that she's something entirely new. No doubt the Eshfeni have pissed off more than a few races in their endeavors so the Volm probably aren't the only allies available to the humans.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I don't believe the new alien is Lexi at all. She said that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, which leads me to assume that she's something entirely new. No doubt the Eshfeni have pissed off more than a few races in their endeavors so the Volm probably aren't the only allies available to the humans.
Yes, the Volm have been hinting that something nasty is coming. I suspect this is it.

And again, the glimpse we saw of the new creature looked to me like a Skitter without the crust. So it may be the base species of the Skitters, out for revenge...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
All they did was blow up a base on the moon, not the moon itself.
The fact that both the glow of the base and the explosion were both big enough to see from earth tells me what both would have some affect on the moon and potentially it's orbit.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The fact that both the glow of the base and the explosion were both big enough to see from earth tells me what both would have some affect on the moon and potentially it's orbit.
My guess is that the only reason the explosion was visible from earth is because the graphics person has no idea how far away the moon is.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
My guess is that the only reason the explosion was visible from earth is because the graphics person has no idea how far away the moon is.
This is the most logical explanation yet!!

Really, it's just an observation and didn't affect what I think of the show one way or the other. The stupid Lexi season thread trumps any stupid scientific technical ridiculousness.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Or the other reason is that they needed it to be visible from Earth so Anne & Co could see it...
Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Or the other reason is that they needed it to be visible from Earth so Anne & Co could see it...
But then why not just have Hal or someone else be watching the moon through those super binoculars and tell the others that he just saw the explosion? That makes it more realistic without compromising any of the story.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
...realistic...
Heh. You're so funny.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #23
VegasVic
Craps Player

I also wish/hope Lexi isn't back next season but I'm sure she will be. Hate that storyline. I'll watch because it will be the final season and I want to see how it wraps up but the last 2 seasons haven't been very good.