TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #61
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post

OTOH, you should be getting a "customer-owned equipment" (COE) credit of around $2.50 for each of your TiVo's using the MSO's CableCARD, which should reduce your actual $5 charge considerably.
When you say "should be" do you mean that Verizon offers such a credit? Or do you mean that they should offer such a credit? I certainly am receiving no such credit.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #62
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycityuser View Post
When you say "should be" do you mean that Verizon offers such a credit? Or do you mean that they should offer such a credit? I certainly am receiving no such credit.
You are only entitled to a credit if the service package you subscribe to includes the cost of equipment in the package price. For example, Comcast gives you the first cable box for free (i.e. the price is included in the package price), so you are entitled to a credit if you use your own equipment instead of their cable box. Conversely, Time Warner Cable makes you pay a separate line item charge even for the first cable box, so you aren't entitled to an equipment credit, you just don't have to pay the separate box fee.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-07-2014 at 10:22 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #63
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
Actually, the original FCC guidelines published in 2011 suggested $2 to $4 per card as a "typical" charge, so $5 per unit today is hardly out of line by those standards.

However, the clever folks at Comcast, just to name one MSO, have figured out that they can circumvent those guidelines and bill you for $10 p.m. by pretending that the fee is not for the CableCARD itself but rather for the "additional digital outlet" (ADO) which serves the device containing the card. Their billing system has accomplished this sleight of hand by removing the CableCARD line-item charge and substituting a "Digital Service" or ADO line item. At roughly the same time they encrypted all of the clear QAM channels so that there is no way of viewing any of the TV signals they deliver except by means of one of the decrypting devices they provide, whether DVR, STB, DTA, CableCARD or other.

I hope that knowing you could be paying twice as much per card than your current $5 fee gives you some measure of solice.

OTOH, you should be getting a "customer-owned equipment" (COE) credit of around $2.50 for each of your TiVo's using the MSO's CableCARD, which should reduce your actual $5 charge considerably.

The way FiOS does their charges and bundles, they aren't required to give a $2.50 credit. WHich is fine by me. If I switched to Comcast my bill would definitely go up.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #64
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Some people getting the update now. Checking mine now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #65
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just downloaded something big. Pending restart, but can't restart yet because recording. Looks like 20.4.2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #66
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yep. 20.4.2. Decided to move recording to another Roamio and do the restart.

Love the 3 column view! Can now see other Roamio's more easily, and separate series recordings from movies, love it.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #67
styre

Installing an update for me now also.
styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #68
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I rarely, if ever at all, have said this: My initial assessment of this update is
Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #69
bunjicat

No one has mentioned anything about new streaming features. Is this just bug fixes and minor improvements to the UI?

Thanks
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #70
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just had slight issue but reboot corrected it. Have had this problem before when updating 3 Roamio's and 4 Mini's all at the same time. MRV gets out of sync, and it wouldn't let me transfer a recording from one Roamio to another. I rebooted and now all is fine. The transfer just completed in 3 min 26 sec at 170.13 Mb/s over Ethernet.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #71
mrsean

My Roamio is downloading the update now, but count me in the still disappointed category. Margaret told us to expect something big in the Summer update and so far nothing big has been offered. Yes. The consistent look thing is nice but I have no need for it since I only have a Roamio Pro. The mini in my signature is at my mom's house so I just she'll be happy (if she even notices the difference on her 32" SD tv).

I'm sure, I'll like the "Previously watched list". Then rest is useless fluff to me though. PROFILES / ANDROID STREAMING / AMAZON PRIME. Anyone of those items would have made this a "big" update.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #72
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjicat View Post
No one has mentioned anything about new streaming features. Is this just bug fixes and minor improvements to the UI?

Thanks
This is a UI rework (of awesome proportions) and bug fix update.

If you are looking for android streaming support, or any major changes to other streaming functions, this is not the update for that. That has been pushed to fall, and if history repeats, it may likely get pushed to after the sun runs out of hydrogen.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #73
morac
Cat God

A bunch of programs vanished from Roamio's My Shows about a week or two ago, despite still being on the box and playable from search. They are now back after it upgraded to 20.4.2.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #74
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Ok, is it just me or is changing between screens snappier even on Roamios? Even pulling up the SD settings screens seems snappier. This could be the placebo effect, but I dont think so.

The only thing that seems slower is when you hit "tivo" to go into the menus the small pip window is slower to draw, but that might be intentional because theres a "press zoom" instruction that pops up in there before the video appears. (was this there before?)

Outside of flash version's date updating by about a month, the HD menus are now missing a version number, the collab slice, Stream, Netflix, Hulu version numbers remain the same.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #75
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I'm sure, I'll like the "Previously watched list". Then rest is useless fluff to me though.
Scratch this it's all useless. I turned off the 3rd column. I don't need it and worse of all it makes the My Shows screen look awfully cluttered. What a waste of resources.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #76
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Update 20.4.2 did not bring back the overlapping recordings feature using only one tuner.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #77
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Scratch this it's all useless. I turned off the 3rd column. I don't need it and worse of all it makes the My Shows screen look awfully cluttered. What a waste of resources.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'll be keeping the 3 column view. 90% of the time my Tivos are filled with TV Shows, and I don't really need the organization. And yes, I'd have to agree that things look cluttered and squished together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Ok, is it just me or is changing between screens snappier even on Roamios? Even pulling up the SD settings screens seems snappier. This could be the placebo effect, but I dont think so.
Overall I'm finding that doing anything with a guide or menu to be much improved in speed. All the SD menus are now....kinda HD (they are clearer) with this weird sliding effect. Odd choice to not just put them all in the HD menu system.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #78
astrohip
Stuart F

This is odd. I rec'd the update overnight, and was not on the priority list. And I can't get any signals. Every channel says "Not Authorized V53". It's rebooting now...

Whoops, make that V58. And two reboots have done nothing to help.

So am I the only one who has a brick?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #79
kbmb

I will say being able to click on Info on a program in the guide and getting direct access to VOD or Netflix is awesome. Much faster than before.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #80
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is odd. I rec'd the update overnight, and was not on the priority list. And I can't get any signals. Every channel says "Not Authorized V53". It's rebooting now...

Whoops, make that V58. And two reboots have done nothing to help.

So am I the only one who has a brick?
Got the update yesterday. Stuck on Welcome Starting up screen overnight. Hope this is not a sign of future Tivo updates.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #81
andyf

Amazon Instant Video appears to be missing from Video Providers. It is checked in Settings but doesn't show in My Shows/Video Providers. You can get to it via Find TV, Movies, & Videos though.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #82
aaronwt
HD Addict

I guess i should have checked my Roamios last night. I watched several shows and never checked anything. Hopefully I got the update and it rebooted this morning.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #83
HenryFarpolo

Got the update on 4 boxes. Nice step in the right direction. If we can get Amazon Prime and profiles in the Fall, it will be a very good year.

Last edited by HenryFarpolo : 07-08-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #84
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see my Mini, connected to a Slingbox, just got the update after I forced a connection. So hopefully the rest of my boxes will at least have a "pending restart" when I get home tonight.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #85
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see my Mini, connected to a Slingbox, just got the update after I forced a connection. So hopefully the rest of my boxes will at least have a "pending restart" when I get home tonight.
Are you seeing any improvements with the Mini after the update? My Pro was just updated after I forced a connection with my Slingbox. I will check my Mini's when I get home. Even using the Slingbox the box does seem a bit snapper even after it first reboots. Before, after a reboot, the box would lag a bit until it settled in after a few minutes.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #86
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Are you seeing any improvements with the Mini after the update? My Pro was just updated after I forced a connection with my Slingbox. I will check my Mini's when I get home. Even using the Slingbox the box does seem a bit snapper even after it first reboots. Before, after a reboot, the box would lag a bit until it settled in after a few minutes.
Appparently there isn't a button for the enter button on the slingplayer remote on my cell phone. I can enter the three thumbs down, but I have no way to hit the enter button, to finish the procedure, to force a reboot.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #87
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Appparently there isn't a button for the enter button on the slingplayer remote on my cell phone. I can enter the three thumbs down, but I have no way to hit the enter button, to finish the procedure, to force a reboot.
Thats too bad. Give me your username and password and I will reboot it with the Slingbox web player ;-)
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #88
humbb

I think "Last Channel" has the same effect as "Enter". Worth a try.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #89
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
I think "Last Channel" has the same effect as "Enter". Worth a try.
"Last Channel" isn't one of my options. I can enter a channel number and there is an enter button there. but just hitting that "enter" doesn't do anything.

The Android app I'm using has limited buttons. Unless there is some way for me to access more? In normal use though the buttons provided are all I've needed. I forgot about not being able to restart the TiVo. I should have most recent version. I think the app was updated sometime in the Spring.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #90
nycityuser

I checked my Roamio today and it said "Pending Restart" so I restarted. I like the change. My list of shows is crowded with lots of TV series and movies recorded off of premium channels. That I can narrow down the list will be very helpful to me. When I want to watch a movie I won't have to scroll through all the TV shows to find available movies.

I also had to restart my Mini in order for the change to show there.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote