Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 AM   #31
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Note because MRS works so well we never xfer anymore.
Yep, that transfer issue could have gone completely unnoticed if somebody only used MRS. Heck, I still see people denying the problem exists. But, it's clear those saying so are streaming the content, at low bandwidth, rather than the max-bandwidth possible method of transferring. Some seem to be oblivious to the transferring being an option (mostly out of those new to TiVo).

Either the beta leader failed to have any participants test transfers, or nobody did their homework. The latter often seems to be the case, with a much smaller pool of willing testers (due to many now having one TiVo and Minis, as opposed to multiple TiVos), and how many people sign up for beta programs just to "be the first to have anything new", with no interest in doing what is asked of them.

Don't ask me about beta programs. I know what I know "because I know it", and that's all I can say. Believe me, or don't. I'm not going to be able to prove what I say about beta programs. Some will know the many possibilities of why that is, others won't.

I have three base-Roamios, and no Minis, which is exactly how I want it. If one develops issues, the others can pick up the slack. More storage, plus duplicate recordings, should a drive or TiVo fail (or fail to record), has worked well for me.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

I used to use many TiVos for redundancy but the rise in cable card fees from FiOS along with the Mini being released prompted me to change. So now i only have one cable card at $5. At one time I had eight cable cards on FiOS. But back then they were only $3 each.

Of course if my Roamio Pro takes a dump then I'm kind of screwed. But at least I have a Roamio basic that could be used instead with FiOS. But with only four tuners it would be an issue though. Since I have six concurrent recordings taking place almost every day. But at least it is an option if I need it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #33
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I found that some programs that were xerred from another TiVo could not be easily deleted from the delete folder, you could manual delete (a pain), but the real question is will the TiVo itself delete the program if more space is needed, if so it should not matter, if not that could be a big problem. Note because MRS works so well we never xfer anymore.
I almost never transfer between Tivos. Where I've seen it is when a program is streamed to an iOS device. Something in this, even if you don't delete from the iOS device, can do something to cause the program to not be able to be deleted.

For me, the program won't delete, unless I reboot and then manually delete. This leads me to think that Tivo won't remove it itself, since other programs are removed.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #34
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Yep, that transfer issue could have gone completely unnoticed if somebody only used MRS...
I don't know if this is true of anyone else, but we see it when downloading a video from Amazon as well. And it isn't just "sluggishness" - the video output to the TV drops frames as well. When the download stops, all goes back to normal.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #35
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
I don't know if this is true of anyone else, but we see it when downloading a video from Amazon as well. And it isn't just "sluggishness" - the video output to the TV drops frames as well. When the download stops, all goes back to normal.
Essentially anything that uses more TiVo network bandwidth than a few TiVo Minis pulling HD streams is enough to induce the problem.

Yes, I've seen it not only make any TiVo involved get sluggish while in any mode of use, but also corrupt playback, Live TV, and cause the programming currently recording to be recorded corrupted, thus it will play back corrupted later.

I have to make sure that neither TiVo involved in a TiVo-to-TiVo transfer is recording, about to record, or being used. It is very disheartening to see something so big get by the testing phases and roll to the public. That TiVo left us to suffer this issue this long rather than send a quick-fix "letter level revision update" (like 20.4.1a), and made us wait for 20.4.2, is just wrong, IMO.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #36
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Anyone get it yet?......sorry I couldn't resist.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #37
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Anyone get it yet?......sorry I couldn't resist.
Yeah, I'm getting it . . . Sorry, what are we talking about?
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #38
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I gave up on Android streaming from Tivo and bought a slingbox.
I gave up on Android streaming from Tivo and bought an iPad Mini.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycityuser View Post
I gave up on Android streaming from Tivo and bought an iPad Mini.
You would have been better off buying a slingbox.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #40
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm hoping the sluggishness when transferring a file gets fixed.
YES !! It seems that the new Pro is not as "snappy" as my Tivo HD during transfers. its should be since we are talking about a significant cpu boost from the Tivo HD to the Pro

Last edited by tough joe : 07-04-2014 at 05:58 AM.
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #41
tough joe

any news on the details of the update? im already aware of the "my Shows" categories... anything else?
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #42
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Why? The slingbox is much more limited than the Tivo Stream functionality. You can't download shows to the slingbox app and need to have either wifi or reliable high speed cellular data to stream via the slingbox. I use downloaded shows almost all the time and I would assume that most people that use the stream while commuting use the download option as well. Cellular data just isn't reliable enough (nor cheap if you don't have unlimited) to stream video while on the move.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #43
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

If you download a show which is 4 GB on the TiVo would that not be 4 GB of Data needed, or is it compressed?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #44
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
If you download a show which is 4 GB on the TiVo would that not be 4 GB of Data needed, or is it compressed?
The TiVo app allows you to choose which quality level you want - Basic, Medium or High. The size of the file adjusts accordingly. I generally find that a one hour program in HD takes 1 GB on my iPad in high quality. Less for the other quality levels.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #45
nycityuser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Why? The slingbox is much more limited than the Tivo Stream functionality. You can't download shows to the slingbox app and need to have either wifi or reliable high speed cellular data to stream via the slingbox.
I second that. One reason I wanted the download capability is to watch video on airplanes without any wifi or cellular connections. The iPad is great for that.

I had resisted buying any Apple "i" products - I've had Android phones for years and bought a Kindle Fire last year. But when I upgraded my TiVo to the Roamio Pro in January 2014 (for not a small amount of money) I realized I was forgoing one of the great features of TiVo. So I broke down and bought an iPad Mini when Verizon was offering a $200 off sale. I'm glad I did.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #46
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still can't get past the funky aspect ratio the ipad screens use.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #47
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still can't get past the funky aspect ratio the ipad screens use.
Yes I never understood that either. As a result playing 16:9 content on iPad means you lose vertical space. I'm another that bought an iPad almost exclusively to use the TiVo app for TiVo recording watching and it's working well for me for that. Haven't found much other use for iPad as I guess I'm old school and prefer laptops with real keyboards, decent size screens and useful applications other than silly games.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #48
shrike4242

With Android L / 5.0 on the horizon, Tivo just needs to get Android streaming out there for 4.x devices just to prove that it won't ever be vaporware. Enough changes with Android L that id they don't get something out there shortly, it'll never happen because they'll be back at the drawing board again.

There's enough devices out there with Jellybean (4.1 - 4.3) and Kitkat (4.4) that ignoring anything 2.x or 3.x isn't a huge issue. Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) might be an issue, though again, devices that came with 4.0 are 3 years ago or more.

I doubt Android Streaming is coming with the 20.4.2 update, though if they do a larger point release like a 20.5, then I'd expect it with what is usually upgraded in a major point release.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #49
Diana Collins

It is highly unlikely that there need be any changes to the DVR software to support Android streaming. It would just work off the same mechanism that supports iOS streams. All they need to is finish and release the Android app. I'm sure the delay is the same as what delayed the DirecTV Android version - there is so much variation in Android hardware, as well as custom extensions to the UI, that developing an app that behaves properly on most (forget all) devices is challenging.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #50
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

The subdivisions for My Shows looks like a nice addition. Anyone know where externally-loaded video (e.g., from pyTivo) will be listed?
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #51
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightfly42 View Post
The subdivisions for My Shows looks like a nice addition. Anyone know where externally-loaded video (e.g., from pyTivo) will be listed?
Devices would be my guess.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #52
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightfly42 View Post
Well at least one person is interested in this. I think it's unnecessary as I have never been unable to locate quickly any recorded shows on my full DVR. I wish TiVo would stop giving us fluff like this that nobody asked for and instead put their efforts into the things we have been requesting for years.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #53
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Devices would be my guess.

Devices should be where we'll be able to find pyTiVo shares, but what about pulls and pushes? I would think that pulls with correct metadata will be seen in the relevant subdivision. Pushes might only be in "All."
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still think profiles would have been many times more useful.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #55
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I still think profiles would have been many times more useful.
+1
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #56
mrsean

Quote:
+1
+2

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #57
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Devices should be where we'll be able to find pyTiVo shares, but what about pulls and pushes? I would think that pulls with correct metadata will be seen in the relevant subdivision. Pushes might only be in "All."
Ah I get it, and yeah, that sounds right.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #58
tough joe

Quote:
I used to use many TiVos for redundancy but the rise in cable card fees from FiOS along with the Mini being released prompted me to change. So now i only have one cable card at $5. At one time I had eight cable cards on FiOS. But back then they were only $3 each.
Yes - the cable card fees are crazy high... they were supposed to be provided to customers for a small fee until the cable co's decided they can get away with charging $5 per card...

it really sucks if/when you are paying monthly for tivo, and then to add an additional $5 to each TiVo unit for the cable card... it sucks plain and simple.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #59
chiguy50

If You Think It's Bad Now . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough joe View Post
Yes - the cable card fees are crazy high... they were supposed to be provided to customers for a small fee until the cable co's decided they can get away with charging $5 per card...

it really sucks if/when you are paying monthly for tivo, and then to add an additional $5 to each TiVo unit for the cable card... it sucks plain and simple.
Actually, the original FCC guidelines published in 2011 suggested $2 to $4 per card as a "typical" charge, so $5 per unit today is hardly out of line by those standards.

However, the clever folks at Comcast, just to name one MSO, have figured out that they can circumvent those guidelines and bill you for $10 p.m. by pretending that the fee is not for the CableCARD itself but rather for the "additional digital outlet" (ADO) which serves the device containing the card. Their billing system has accomplished this sleight of hand by removing the CableCARD line-item charge and substituting a "Digital Service" or ADO line item. At roughly the same time they encrypted all of the clear QAM channels so that there is no way of viewing any of the TV signals they deliver except by means of one of the decrypting devices they provide, whether DVR, STB, DTA, CableCARD or other.

I hope that knowing you could be paying twice as much per card than your current $5 fee gives you some measure of solice.

OTOH, you should be getting a "customer-owned equipment" (COE) credit of around $2.50 for each of your TiVo's using the MSO's CableCARD, which should reduce your actual $5 charge considerably.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #60
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
I hope that knowing you could be paying twice as much per card than your current $5 fee gives you some measure of solice.
For every $ of cable cost most states impose special taxes and other fees such that you have to increase whatever your paying about 10% or so.

Comcast charges $7.45/card inc the AO charge, $9.95 per AO - $2.50 for using your own equipment. First card is free if not using any of Comcast converter boxes.