TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
TivoRocks193

Best 2TB for TiVo HD/Series3?

I'm considering three different drives to upgrade TiVo HD/Series3 units to 2TB: WD20EURS, WD20EURX, and WD20EZRX

Amazon has all three for similar prices, any recommedation for which I should use? Does it actually matter which one I choose?

Also, I plan to use wdidle3 to disable Intellipower regardless of which one I choose.

TivoRocks193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoRocks193 View Post
I'm considering three different drives to upgrade TiVo HD/Series3 units to 2TB: WD20EURS, WD20EURX, and WD20EZRX

Amazon has all three for similar prices, any recommedation for which I should use? Does it actually matter which one I choose?

Also, I plan to use wdidle3 to disable Intellipower regardless of which one I choose.
Get the EURX (current model, A/V drive, 3 year warranty--be sure to go online and register your ownership of it with WD) and make sure you're buying it directly from Amazon (or newegg) and not from one of their "partners". Check the fine print.

A new EURX should come from WD with Intellipark (Intellipower is a different feature) disabled, but you can check it with

wdidle3.exe

just to be sure.

The EZRX is okay for running in a PC to store shows you copied off of the TiVo via TiVo Desktop or pyTiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
TivoRocks193

Thanks unitron! I meant Intellipark before.. All these names sound the same! I did read the reviews on Amazon that some people got recertified drives and had to return them, so its a gamble with the older ones.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
TivoRocks193

Went with WD20EURX for TiVo HD and upgraded from 1TB to 2TB without issue. Ran wdidle3 although it came with IntelliPark disabled automatically, so there was nothing to do. For reference, this was originally the 160GB unit that I upgraded to 1TB years ago. Thanks unitron!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoRocks193 View Post
Went with WD20EURX for TiVo HD and upgraded from 1TB to 2TB without issue. Ran wdidle3 although it came with IntelliPark disabled automatically, so there was nothing to do. For reference, this was originally the 160GB unit that I upgraded to 1TB years ago. Thanks unitron!
I feel bad that I forgot to emphasize that one should always, when one gets a hard drive which is new (to them), run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test before putting the drive into service.

This is software different from wdidle3.exe, but both are available on the Ultimate Boot CD.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Why a WD20EURX over a WD20PURX?

(The latter is available today at a Microcenter near me. )

Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Why a WD20EURX over a WD20PURX?

(The latter is available today at a Microcenter near me. )
The WD Purple (PURX) is designed for use in a RAID array, not a single drive DVR (or any host) without a proper RAID controller (which TiVo does not have).

TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery), which can't (easily) be disabled, and is active on any WD Purple PURX or Red EFRX drive, can make it a nightmare to troubleshoot/diagnose why a TiVo is acting up, when it's due to the drive, and/or you always have to wonder if it might be the drive. TLER tends to mask that the drive has problems, due to the different way the drive handles errors (gives up after 7 seconds, sends an error a RAID controller would use to deal with the it, then moves on).

The WD AV Green EURX is just the successor to the EURS.

Newegg's claims that the PURX is a "newer model" of the AV Green EURX is bogus clickbait, and WD has confirmed that it's not true.

This will be the only input I give on the TLER matter here, and I'm not going to debate with anybody who disagrees (or speculate about WeaKnee's use of WD Purples, since their 4TB Roamio prepped drive solution was first introduced).

Old 04-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Interesting, thank you. The listing I saw for PURX said "Security", so I was thinking video security systems, not raid data protection.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Interesting, thank you. The listing I saw for PURX said "Security", so I was thinking video security systems, not raid data protection.
They are targeted for use in high-end security/surveillance systems, which tend to use RAID, anyway. They are even designed specifically for motion-activated cameras, and maximum number of cameras, but have a very low workload rating per drive, of 60TB/yr. The more drives in the array, the less TB/yr per drive.

I could have included this in my previous post. So, consider this an appending of my "final words" on them.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Thanks nooneuknow!