TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
busyba
The Funcooker

24: Live Another Day "6:00 pm - 7:00 pm" OAD 6/16/14

I can't believe they didn't give Heller a silent clock.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I can't believe they didn't give Heller a silent clock.
I was thinking the same thing. Made me wonder if he's really dead.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Made me wonder if he's really dead.
First thing I noticed. I assume he is not dead.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Good thing they got the gate codes for Wembley Stadium. There's no way they could have gotten to the field otherwise. The helicopter parking lot is inconveniently placed.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I don't see how he could not be dead. They had the drone camera on him until the second of impact, he's all alone out in the middle of the pitch, and the missile destroyed the entire center of the field. Jack clearly didn't have any cool plans to get him out ("dammit! there's a trapdoor in center field! I'll set up a perimeter to obscure their view!"), and they set it up with the whole Alzheimer's thing.

It will be completely ridiculous if he's not dead.

But I agree, no silent clock seems like a bit of a slap in the face.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
It will be completely ridiculous if he's not dead.
Dammit. Not on 24! They had a permiter setup and everything.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
dtle

Here's why I think President Heller is NOT dead:

Spoiler:
I searched and cannot find any listing for a cast member for role of the Vice President.

dtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Here's why I think President Heller is NOT dead:

Spoiler:
I searched and cannot find any listing for a cast member for role of the Vice President.
Pure speculation: I wonder if Chloe was able to get into their system and interrupt the video feed with a delayed feed, or something like that.

If I were the greensman at Wembly I'd be PISSED.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
If I were the greensman at Wembly I'd be PISSED.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
ADG
Allan

It keeps getting better:

1) Jack was shown into the president's office while carrying a bag containing weapons. Right.

2) "We found a disk drive". Really? A disk drive? Do they not have editors on this show?

3) As pointed out above - gate codes for the stadium but they were flying in.

4) A one-punch knockout to the jaw. Sorry - that's about a one in a hundred shot. Down maybe, but not out. And if out, not for more than a few seconds.

5) If I were the CIA station chief (not to mention a mole), I'd certainly pick an accomplice who looks like he's straight out of terrorist central casting, wouldn't you?

6) I always get a kick out of someone who tells his hostage to stand up to question him when he had a huge upper hand with the hostage on the ground.

Okay, I'll stop now. It's 24 after all

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

They sure do like CGI now.

Only 4 episodes left, and still no time jump.

Poor Audrey. She was catatonic before, maybe she'll finally stay with Jack? Nahhhh.

Ooh... Kotaku posted this earlier. Funny as hell.

Jack Bauer

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
jon777

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Pure speculation: I wonder if Chloe was able to get into their system and interrupt the video feed with a delayed feed, or something like that.
The non-silent clock, plus Chloe commenting on the two other streams that she was "closer" to figuring out makes me agree here. Chloe was able to do something to the drone video feed that "faked" Heller being there and the facial recognition. Will be a little disappointed if this is the case (a Chloe "super-hacker in mere seconds, let again), but it is 24...

Nit: I think I remember them saying to take the drone down to 20K feet. Assuming 1000 mph for the missile (which appears to be ballpark for a hellfire), then would take about 15 seconds between launch and detonation. In both the last two eps, the drone missiles struck nearly instantaneously from launch...

I usually don't care about these types of details, but for whatever reason, this bothered me.

Lets Go METS!
jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
3) As pointed out above - gate codes for the stadium but they were flying in.
I assume the gate code was for the stadium gate, not the parking lot gate. They weren't landing the helo inside the stadium.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
type_g

Obviously there was trap door where the president was standing and it opened up at the right time
Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
markp99
TakoKichi

Hologram
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Hologram
Life Model Decoy, borrowed from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
jon777

Quick work by Madame Tussaud's House of Wax?

Lets Go METS!

Last edited by jon777 : 06-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.
jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
4) A one-punch knockout to the jaw. Sorry - that's about a one in a hundred shot. Down maybe, but not out. And if out, not for more than a few seconds.
That's why after he dragged him out of Heller's sight, Jack slit his throat.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's why after he dragged him out of Heller's sight, Jack slit his throat.

"He's not out cold?? Dammit!!"
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Silly question but do the real presidents have transponders implanted? My brain can't seem to let this one go.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
Silly question but do the real presidents have transponders implanted? My brain can't seem to let this one go.
If they do, I doubt they advertise that fact.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
Quote:
If they do, I doubt they advertise that fact.
Secret Service: "Dammit, now we have to kill Howard Gordon!"

Howard Gordon: "But we just made it uARGH!"
Old 06-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
ADG
Allan

Quote:
I assume the gate code was for the stadium gate, not the parking lot gate. They weren't landing the helo inside the stadium.
Which raises a whole OTHER question

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #24
Doggie Bear

Recap posted at my blog.

* Jack Bauer sure found his respect for the President quickly. Last time he was in the room with the President, he didn't even bother to stand. Now he's referring to him as "Mr. President" or "Sir" and says "I'll do whatever you ask of me."

* That was a funny line when Jack was cutting the transponder out of the President's arm(!), and the President commented that Jack had done enough damage as a federal agent; it was a good thing he hadn't become a surgeon. If "24" were more intentionally campy, this would've been a great opportunity for Jack to say, "Dammit, I'm an agent, not a doctor!"

* I would've expected the President to get some kind of suicide capsule, just in case al-Harazi had in mind to capture and torture him.

* I realize I'm not exactly courageous enough or sporting enough to be a CIA employees (even an analyst), but I was thinking that if I had been in Jordan Reed's shoes, having just whacked a bad guy with a pipe and taken his guns, especially a silenced one, I would've shot him in both knees before telling him to get up.

* More Jack brutality: when the Secret Service agent spotted the President, I was expecting Jack to do his neck chokehold (kind of like a harsher version of Mr. Spock's neck pinch), but instead Jack just clocked the guy in the face. Yikes!

* No silent clock at the end for President Heller? Does that mean he's still alive? Naw, "24" doesn't play the "ha ha, he/she isn't really dead" game. Well, except for Tony Almeida. I guess if you want to look for possibilities, the fact that Chloe was messing with the drone program offers a rationalization for either confusing the drone's video feed or altering the missile's flight path. I think he's dead, though. It's a pretty heroic sacrifice, and we've seen that before on "24" (George Mason, Ryan Chappelle, Bill Buchanan, among others).

* Lots of "24" tropes/scenarios replayed tonight. Pointing a gun at doctors to make them disregard the Hippocratic Oath showed up in season 4 when Jack made them stop working on Paul Raines in order to save the captured Chinese diplomat that he needed information from, even though doing so doomed Raines. Having guys hit on Chloe while she was trying to do her computer nerd magic in a public setting came from season 5, and was done better then because she pulled out a stun gun and zapped the persistent suitor before continuing with her work. We saw Jack walk out with a doomed man in season 3, when President Palmer offered up CTU head Ryan Chappelle to appease terrorist Steven Saunders.

* "24" isn't particularly known for acting, but I thought Tate Donovan and Kim Raver did great jobs in conveying what Boudreaux's having helped send the President to his doom was going to do to their marriage.

* Kate Morgan is becoming more and more like "Jacqueline Bauer," and even the producers are saying they'd consider future seasons with her as the lead: "The format itself is very sturdy and with the right story it can be compelling. So if a [Jack-free] story presented itself to us, we would be open to it."

* Unfortunately for those of us who love "24," the ratings last night were kind of bad. On the other hand, maybe a Kiefer-less season would be cheaper to produce and justifiable even with those ratings, which are still better than most shows that Fox has been airing all season....
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Which raises a whole OTHER question
No doubt they couldn't get permission to land the helicopter inside the stadium.

(The producers, of course, not Jack Bauer, for whom permission is irrelevant.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
* I realize I'm not exactly courageous enough or sporting enough to be a CIA employees (even an analyst), but I was thinking that if I had been in Jordan Reed's shoes, having just whacked a bad guy with a pipe and taken his guns, especially a silenced one, I would've shot him in both knees before telling him to get up.
I was thinking that when the assassin asked him if the safety was on, he should have shot him in the leg (knowing the safety was off, because an assassin wouldn't come after you with a gun that won't fire), then said "Apparently so. And now it's going to be harder to get up and put your hands on your head, but nonetheless."
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
cheesesteak
Meh.

There have been one punch knockouts on every tv show since the very first tv shows. Why is this one suddenly unbelievable?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No doubt they couldn't get permission to land the helicopter inside the stadium.

(The producers, of course, not Jack Bauer, for whom permission is irrelevant.)

I was thinking that when the assassin asked him if the safety was on, he should have shot him in the leg (knowing the safety was off, because an assassin wouldn't come after you with a gun that won't fire), then said "Apparently so. And now it's going to be harder to get up and put your hands on your head, but nonetheless."
In 28 weeks later they did land a helicopter inside what appears to be Wembly stadium at the end of the movie.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
There have been one punch knockouts on every tv show since the very first tv shows. Why is this one suddenly unbelievable?
Because it's on 24.

The paragon of realism.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
2) "We found a disk drive". Really? A disk drive? Do they not have editors on this show?
And they uploaded apparently the entire drive in a few seconds.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #30
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
They sure do like CGI now.

Only 4 episodes left, and still no time jump.

Poor Audrey. She was catatonic before, maybe she'll finally stay with Jack? Nahhhh.

Ooh... Kotaku posted this earlier. Funny as hell.

Jack Bauer

Greg
Spoilerizing just because
Spoiler:
IMDB does not show any time jump in show titles. It appears to be real time for 12 continuous hours / episodes.