TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
blazin6969

Gramps Tivo took a poop

Alright my grandfather has a Series 2 Tivo it was this model TCD540080

I think it got fried some how, most likely the pet dander because the fan had quite a bit and when I took it apart it had a burnt smell to it. I then bought the same exact unit online thinking I could just swap the hard drive. However that as well did not prove to be fruitful.

My question is how I can take the lifetime one he had and make this other one I just got online to use as parts the new lifetime one. Is there anyway to transfer the data, from what I read the information is married to a chip on board the unit. Is the any way to recover this via jtag? Or Can I hotswap the drive to the new one?

Any information or a point in the right direction would be great!
Thanks!
blazin6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin6969 View Post
Alright my grandfather has a Series 2 Tivo it was this model TCD540080

I think it got fried some how, most likely the pet dander because the fan had quite a bit and when I took it apart it had a burnt smell to it. I then bought the same exact unit online thinking I could just swap the hard drive. However that as well did not prove to be fruitful.

My question is how I can take the lifetime one he had and make this other one I just got online to use as parts the new lifetime one. Is there anyway to transfer the data, from what I read the information is married to a chip on board the unit. Is the any way to recover this via jtag? Or Can I hotswap the drive to the new one?

Any information or a point in the right direction would be great!
Thanks!
Assuming the second unit you bought worked okay before you started part swapping...

Make sure the white ribbon cable that connects the front panel to the motherboard is fully and squarely seated in the socket.

Apparently it's easy to bump and dislodge.

Put the original hard drive back in the original TiVo and hope you haven't screwed it up.

Take the power supply out of the original TiVo and set it to one side.

Be careful with that ribbon cable as well.

Take the power supply out of the second unit.

Put it in the original TiVo.

See if that doesn't fix things, at least temporarily.

All of the second and third series TiVo models' power supplies are at risk for something called "capacitor plague", and almost any troubleshooting on them should begin with making sure there's nothing wrong with the power supply.

And you might want to do a fan transplant as well.

Let us know how it goes.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
blazin6969

Awesome will let you know how it goes the next couple of days and what I can come up with! Thanks!

The unit did turn on ect when I got it, I made sure of that. I check in system info and it was not a lifetime unit though, would have been alot more easier.

I do remember before opening it I was reading on here, and some user said to look for bulging capacitors I did not see any at the time when I tried to do the swap. I will open it up and take another look.

Thanks again
Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Awesome will let you know how it goes the next couple of days and what I can come up with! Thanks!

The unit did turn on ect when I got it, I made sure of that. I check in system info and it was not a lifetime unit though, would have been alot more easier.

I do remember before opening it I was reading on here, and some user said to look for bulging capacitors I did not see any at the time when I tried to do the swap. I will open it up and take another look.

Thanks again
If they're bulging, they're bad, but if they're bad they may or may not be bulging.

Checking the DC outs with a voltmeter is a more reliable method.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
True Colors

Blazin.... i have several Series 2 Tivos with lifetime memberships that I am about to sell. Let me know if you would like to buy one.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Blazin.... i have several Series 2 Tivos with lifetime memberships that I am about to sell. Let me know if you would like to buy one.

TC
Unless it's a lifetimed double tuner going dirt cheap, I'll plead "already have more TiVos than space or sense".

Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
mr.unnatural

I had to go back and read the thread title over again. At first glance I thought it read that Gramps took a poop on the Tivo. You never know with old folks these days so I had to double check to be sure.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
blazin6969

HAHA! Alright well sorry for the late reply have been taking some summer classes as well so my schedule hasn't been as open as I wanted it to be. This weekend I had time to do a few things.
There are no bulging capacitors on the new unit or the old unit.
I have put the original one back in the old unit and just to see if maybe by some flukey thing it might start back up again. It has not and will not turn on smells when I do leave it on for 5 minutes or more.
I have tried to swap power supply units between the 2 of them the old blown up one and the new one. The old one still powers up the new one but the new one doesnt power up the old one.

Anything else I can do from here to get his lifetime over to this new one?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
HAHA! Alright well sorry for the late reply have been taking some summer classes as well so my schedule hasn't been as open as I wanted it to be. This weekend I had time to do a few things.
There are no bulging capacitors on the new unit or the old unit.
I have put the original one back in the old unit and just to see if maybe by some flukey thing it might start back up again. It has not and will not turn on smells when I do leave it on for 5 minutes or more.
I have tried to swap power supply units between the 2 of them the old blown up one and the new one. The old one still powers up the new one but the new one doesnt power up the old one.

Anything else I can do from here to get his lifetime over to this new one?
So both power supplies work in the unit you bought recently, but the lifetimed unit doesn't work with either power supply?

Try the lifetimed one with the hard drive's power connector disconnected and see if you get the initial "Welcome" screen.

(if you do it won't move on from there with no drive connected, but that'll tell us something about the motherboard)

And don't forget to watch out for the ribbon cable to the front panel.