TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
blips

VERY disappointed in Tivo for the first time ever

I have been a Tivo user since they first came out and this is the first time the company disappointed me. I finally convince my father to purchase a Roamio with the $250 lifetime special they had. I went to his house to set it up yesterday and the unit would not power up. I got on the phone with Tivo and they would send a replacement and we had the send the defective unit back. The customer service agent told me they would email a shipping label to send the unit back. We would receive the label in the email. Sure enough the email with the return label was never received by my dad. My dad called again today to have them email it again and now they are telling him he has to pay to ship the unit back. Why lie to me and renege on what they promised? And they send out defective units and make the customer pay for it?

blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by blips View Post
I have been a Tivo user since they first came out and this is the first time the company disappointed me. I finally convince my father to purchase a Roamio with the $250 lifetime special they had. I went to his house to set it up yesterday and the unit would not power up. I got on the phone with Tivo and they would send a replacement and we had the send the defective unit back. The customer service agent told me they would email a shipping label to send the unit back. We would receive the label in the email. Sure enough the email with the return label was never received by my dad. My dad called again today to have them email it again and now they are telling him he has to pay to ship the unit back. Why lie to me and renege on what they promised? And they send out defective units and make the customer pay for it?
Call back and ask for a supervisor. If that doesn't work try finding TiVomargret here and PM her.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Maybe the email from TiVo went into a spam catcher?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's not right. You should never have to pay return shipping on a warranty exchange.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
atmuscarella

I very recently had to return something to TiVo. The way it worked for me was I got the return FedEx label via a email from FedEx not TiVo. From the email you can either print the label directly (which I did) or scan the bar code and have the label printed at a FedEx location.

Also when I purchased my Series 3 it was a refurb and had to return 3 of them to get a fully working unit and never had to pay anything, back then it was UPS - but I can not remember how I got the info to print the label. I would call back and get it straightened out.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella; 08-21-2015 at 04:29 PM.
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I very recently had to return something to TiVo. The way it worked for me was I got the return FedEx label via a email from FedEx not TiVo. From the email you can either print the label directly (which I did) or scan the bar code and have the label printed at a FedEx location. .............
Yes, but TiVo generated the label which generated the email from their fedex account and they paid for it, most likely.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes, but TiVo generated the label which generated the email from their fedex account and they paid for it, most likely.
Absolutely TiVo paid for it. My main point was that the email they were looking for might be coming from FedEx, not Tivo.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Absolutely TiVo paid for it. My main point was that the email they were looking for might be coming from FedEx, not Tivo.
Ok just making sure he knew.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
59er
TiVotee

Isn't it strange that two longtime posters would virtually simultaneously post this thread titled "VERY disappointed in Tivo for the first time ever" and another thread titled "VERY disappointed in Tivo for the first time" -- literally about an hour apart

I'm having trouble on my phone with hyper linking, but the other thread is at:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10603747

It makes me wonder if there's a hacker going after old accounts.

Last edited by 59er; 08-21-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: To add url
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
blips

Nope I came here to post why I was very disappointed in Tivo for the first time and I saw the other thread. Our reasons are completely different.

According to the link they sent my dad he is responsible for the postage back. That is ridiculous.

http://www.tivo.com/exchange

Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
HarperVision

Yeah TiVo does have some really dumb policies and inconsistent customer service that leaves me shaking my head on numerous occasions.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #12
Worf

Wow, companies pay for warranty return shipping? I've never had that luxury. In my experience, they pay half of it (shipping from them to you), but never for you to return the product.

Doesn't matter if the unit was DOA, I always had to pay return shipping. If I'm lucky, I bought from a store that allows in-store returns, so I just exchange it that way, but usually I'm responsible for the return shipping. Good companies would offer me a label to return in exchange for shipping prepaid (which because they get discounts, is often better since it'll be like $10).

Hell, I got invited to test out Paypal's return shipping refund thing. One of the quickest decisions I ever made. Sure it's only $30 per case, but that's still a lot better than nothing. And no, I'm not unlucky, I just do a lot of online ordering and end up knowing everyone's return and replacement policy very well.

Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #13
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Wow, companies pay for warranty return shipping? I've never had that luxury. In my experience, they pay half of it (shipping from them to you), but never for you to return the product.
Absolutely this.

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #14
jcthorne

They do when its a DOA new unit. This is not a warranty repair, its replacing a defective unit shipped. He still has not received the goods he originally paid for.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #15
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
They do when its a DOA new unit. This is not a warranty repair, its replacing a defective unit shipped. He still has not received the goods he originally paid for.
Absolutely this.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:58 AM   #16
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Again, not in my experience. You get DOA product, you have two options - warranty return, or return to the store for exchange or refund. Neither of which I've seen paid for the return shipping. If both are one and the same, so be it.

And I've gotten many a DOA product, some are so bad I refuse to buy them from anywhere but a B&M retailer. (Not surprisingly, they don't carry that brand anymore)

Like I said, Paypal started offering the return shipping refund program when you need to return something back to the store because it was defective. Not something I've had to use (only been around a couple of months), but certainly something I consider using now. It's only $30 per incident though.

That said, there are a FEW stores that do give free return shipping, but they are more the exception than the norm. At best, if you call customer service and reach a human, they can sometimes offer you a break, or sell you a discounted shipping label. About the only thing I've actually gotten was not dinged on the shipping to me when it was free shipping (some places don't exchange or replace - you're expected to return as defective and place a new order).

Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #17
dslunceford

Quote:
Again, not in my experience. You get DOA product, you have two options - warranty return, or return to the store for exchange or refund. Neither of which I've seen paid for the return shipping. If both are one and the same, so be it.
Option three: dispute the credit card charge because you didn't receive a working unit. This isn't (or shouldn't be) a warranty claim if they shipped a DOA unit.

I can't think of any place I shop that *wouldn't* replace DOA on their dime.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
blips

Quote:
The store was Tivo online not a B&M store.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #19
krkaufman

Quote:
That said, there are a FEW stores that do give free return shipping, but they are more the exception than the norm. At best, if you call customer service and reach a human, they can sometimes offer you a break, or sell you a discounted shipping label. About the only thing I've actually gotten was not dinged on the shipping to me when it was free shipping (some places don't exchange or replace - you're expected to return as defective and place a new order).
Well, when the exception is among the biggest of online retailers, Amazon, it shifts customer expectations. Amazon offers both free shipping (OUT) and free return shipping on defective products. They *do* put the cost of return shipping on the buyer when the buyer declares other causes for the return.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 AM   #20
Series3Sub

Well, every company drops the ball on occasion. I have to say in my dealings with TiVo, they drop it no less or more than any other company in a similar business. OP, I really think it was just one of those bad experiences from a pretty good company and does not reflect the vast majority of positive experiences I and others on this forum have experienced or mentioned on this forum.

However, I would say that TiVo and other DVR people like Dish, etc. seem to send out DVR's that have problem HDD's that presumably has passed some weak test at the refurb center, but the HDD should have been replaced with a new one, but that costs money. I have had THREE DVR's direct from TiVo (I've gotten other TiVo's from other sources) FAIL on me out of the box and they both had to RMA'd for a second failed TiVo out of the box. I found better success by replacing the HDD's myself, and all problems disappeared. I'm sure it saves tons of dough to just send out the original HDD's that might have problems instead of TiVo replacing it with a new HDD less likely to have problems. The problem is, I have to wonder if TiVo and others send out refurbs as new. I don't know the answer to that question, regardless of what the law states a retailer should do.

Just be prepared with your own larger, HDD. It is actually the easier solution.

Last edited by Series3Sub; 08-25-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote