TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Roamio's becoming piles of crap

I've never been so down on TiVo As I have been these last few months. The company is putting out garbage. And doing nothing to make it better.

If tonight I could go out and get an X2 system from Comcast, I probably would do it.

The TiVo service sucks. And TiVo can't get it right.

They've been sitting around blaming CableCARDs for innumerable problems and doing nothing to make anything better, whether or not that really is the problem. They know when these problems occur. They could at the very least create an option we could choose to enable to automatically reboot the TiVo when they occur, or at some reasonable schedulable time afterwords.

Tuner's just stop working.

Rebooting is almost a daily necessity just to have more than an 80% chance of everything recording.

And now I discover first-hand some things I've heard mention of before... while a C133 error happens -- ostensibly because TiVo's servers have a problem again -- you can't even make the stupid Roamio stop a recording in progress.

WHAT A PILE OF GARBAGE.

TiVo should fire every single person who designs or writes code for them because this is just totally absurd form every sort of usability standpoint any reasonable person could ever manage to come up with. TiVo should be HUGELY ASHAMED of what their products have become.

I've got a neighbor going through similar issues with an XL4. They just resorted to scheduling a 4am daily reboot with a power controller.

I am so very thankful I resisted replacing a TiVo HD with a Roamio and a couple Mini's for my parents this Christmas... but I just was so uncomfortable about the myriad of issues to add a remote headache like this, and things have only gotten worse since the holidays.

This is completely unacceptable. Anyone considering a TiVo Roamio model should wait until these reports completely stop and fixes are in place and things are stable.

MAKE IT CLEAR TO EVERYONE THAT FIXING EVERY ONE OF THESE THINGS IS A NUMBER-ONE PRIORITY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Sorry you are having problems, but my Roamio works very well.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
SullyND
W: 31-15

My Roamio has been my best TiVo by far.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I believe I saw on Margret's twitter feed that the CableCARD reboot issue will be fixed with the upcoming update. I'm not sure what kind of problem you're having as I've never had to reboot my Roamio for a lockup. The only thing I've had to reboot is several Minis after an update (for some reason it doesn't start up properly sometimes).
Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Diacritical

I've only had mine for a few months, but the only time I've ever seen a C133 error was when my network was down. I have seen three reboots when using the remote and the unit was heavily loaded and the SDV box has needed to be reset four times -- the first is a tivo problem and the second a TimeWarner one.

Still the best Tivo I've had, and I've had quite a few over the years.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wonder what your issue is. My 7 boxes on FiOS have been awesome. I did have the reboot issue a month or so ago but they fixed that. I know no one ever wants to hear that others are fine, but I've been real happy.

Good luck with whatever your issue is, maybe the update this week will help. Hope so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
dbattaglia001

I'm happy as can be with my Roamio. One reboot when I first got it, but nothing for a couple months now. I applaud TiVo in a quality product.
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
MAKE IT CLEAR TO EVERYONE THAT FIXING EVERY ONE OF THESE THINGS IS A NUMBER-ONE PRIORITY.
To be fair, TiVo undertook an ambitious rewrite of their software to add many new features, and it's not surprising that they also added many new bugs. It would be nice if more bugs had been caught during beta testing, but I suspect that they're now working diligently to get everything fixed in the Spring update. Some of the irritants you mention may have been easy to fix, but unfortunately some serious issues like the glitch after single-tuner overlap may have required considerable work (and time) to fix properly.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
My Roamio has been my best TiVo by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
I'm happy as can be with my Roamio. One reboot when I first got it, but nothing for a couple months now. I applaud TiVo in a quality product.
I couldn't agree more with the two quotes above. I went from a premiere to the roamio. Couldn't be happier. Best DVR hands down.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
kbmb

I had my fair share of initial issues with the Roamio....and still am baffled that things like the overlap glitches and missed recordings have gone unfixed for so long. Yes the C133 errors are pretty much a joke. But overall, I'm glad I switched my TivoHD to two Roamios in the house. Our main one has been up for 86 days so far with no issues.

Hope some of your issues get solved in the Spring update.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
DigitalDawn

Hi Doug,

It's been a really long time. Nice to see you here.

Anyway, after getting my cable cards updated to 1.5.3 1101 my Roamio Pro, XL4 and even my PC's Ceton tuner have all been working great.

I can see you are really frustrated and I'm sorry for all that. Let's see what happens with the Spring update.

Dawn Gordon Luks (CEForum -- remember??)

P.S. I'm a TiVo dealer as well, so I may be able to help.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Without piling on, I would have to say that compared to my TiVo HD, my Roamio has been much better about issues related to cablecards and tuning adapters. The constant irritation with my TiVo HD where SDV channels refused to tune in on first attempt (requiring a channel-up then channel-down to get them to display anything but a black screen) has gone away. For the very large majority of the time, my TiVo Roamio (Pro) has "just worked."

I won't fool anyone by saying I haven't had any issues. Yes, the C133 issues with TiVo services were a bit annoying, but I don't remember them being a show-stopper when they happen. Although they happen more than I think they should for a production service, they don't seem to happen that much. It's just extremely obvious when they do. And yes, I do still have issues with tuning in things that periodically require me to reboot my Tuning Adapter... but mostly those seem to be issues with the cable plant, not with the TiVo.

In my experience, TiVo *can* work, but it does require the cable provider to get everything absolutely right with the signal coming into the building. Any least thing slightly out of spec (SNR, upstream power, downstream power, you name it) and it's a recipe for frustration.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #13
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I have not had any issues with my Roamio Pro. I also own a TiVo HD and a Premiere, there is no comparison between them and the Roamio Pro.
The Roamio Pro is thoroughbred and the TiVo's before it just something less.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
tomhorsley

To some extent, these really are cable card problems, but TiVo clearly worked much better with bad cable cards before the big update that made everything crap out. TiVo clearly chose the path of pointing at the cable card spec and whining that it wasn't their fault rather than trying to work around the problem by being more gentle with the poor brain damaged cable cards. This may be technically correct, but it isn't very helpful to their customers on cable systems that won't update firmware.

Once comcast really did update the firmware, all my problems vanished, so the cable cards are certainly worth blaming here, but it is also true that TiVo's software made the old cable cards look a lot worse.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Pennsylvan6500

Quote:
And now I discover first-hand some things I've heard mention of before... while a C133 error happens -- ostensibly because TiVo's servers have a problem again -- you can't even make the stupid Roamio stop a recording in progress.
This is the only part I agree with. Tivo needs to make the machines work the way they did before they insisted on having a 24 hr internet connection. Nothing on the internet side should stop the basic functions from working properly. Full Stop.

Quote:
Read that again. They can't all be number one. Making the machines work as I stated above is step one to making them more usable. Once they stop the buggy parts for screwing up the machine's basic function, that will buy them time to fix other stuff.
Pennsylvan6500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Without piling on, I would have to say that compared to my TiVo HD, my Roamio has been much better about issues related to cablecards and tuning adapters. The constant irritation with my TiVo HD where SDV channels refused to tune in on first attempt (requiring a channel-up then channel-down to get them to display anything but a black screen) has gone away. For the very large majority of the time, my TiVo Roamio (Pro) has "just worked."
Glad the Roamio is much better than a Tivo HD, although that's not much of a standard for comparison. I attribute most of my (Tivo HD) problems to Time Warner's abysmal support for CableCARD and TA's but the fact that Roamios are much better shows that TiVo could have designed better to surmount the problems. Perhaps it took all these years of experience with Series 3 and 4 units for Tivo to learn what needed to be done. (?)

I got my THD in June 2009 and if I had known all the hassle I was going to have keeping it going .... well I don't know what I would have done. I'm caught between two monopolies (TWC for cable TV and Tivo for cable DVR's with reasonable features and performance).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
spaldingclan

sorry to hear you've had problems. My Roamio is easily better in everyway to every other model I've owned (4 generations so far)
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
In my experience, TiVo *can* work, but it does require the cable provider to get everything absolutely right with the signal coming into the building. Any least thing slightly out of spec (SNR, upstream power, downstream power, you name it) and it's a recipe for frustration.
Quote:
They've been sitting around blaming CableCARDs for innumerable problems and doing nothing to make anything better, whether or not that really is the problem. They know when these problems occur. They could at the very least create an option we could choose to enable to automatically reboot the TiVo when they occur, or at some reasonable schedulable time afterwords.
I agree with both of these, especially with the point about the TiVo hardware being capable of determining when things with SNR, power, cable card version, etc are "out of bounds".

If the TiVo could have given me a notification that the SNR was ungodly high, and provided a simple URL that would have explained how I could have gone about lowering it, it would have saved me several hours of wasted time.

Having said that, with the SNR lowered, I've had no real issues with my Roamio Pro.

But if you asked me during the period it took to figure that out, I would have definitely agreed with the OP.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Hi Doug,

It's been a really long time. Nice to see you here.

Anyway, after getting my cable cards updated to 1.5.3 1101 my Roamio Pro, XL4 and even my PC's Ceton tuner have all been working great.

I can see you are really frustrated and I'm sorry for all that. Let's see what happens with the Spring update.

Dawn Gordon Luks (CEForum -- remember??)

P.S. I'm a TiVo dealer as well, so I may be able to help.
Yeah, Wow, long time! Nice to see ya! I still miss those days -- the people from those days, I mean... not the CompuServe bills.

I have no doubt that CableCARD firmware will address the most recent unreliability, but it is TiVo's reputation getting damaged when $1,000 of equipment/service is as unreliable as any cable DVR ever has been.

BTW, since it seems maybe my "reboot" issue was misunderstood based on some replies here -- it's that I have to reboot to get the decoding functional again, not that it "locks up" so much; though either way it's not much different than being a brick... recording blank screens versus not trying to record at all. (Though actually one time I was just watching a recording in the middle of the evening and it spontaneously decided to reboot... wasn't impressed by that much either, but I've not noticed it happen again, so out of sight, out of mind, I guess.)

The one thing I could always count on with TiVo is that if I set something to record, it recorded. The network/channel could possibly screw me over by delaying the start. But it'd still record. And the last month or two it has gotten worse over where it was before and the few months before that weren't exactly reliable.

And I still have my XL4 connected, right next to the Roamio Pro, split from the same cable. And except of course for things I've only set up season passes for on the Roamio, I can almost always just switch the XL4 and catch what the Roamio couldn't record/coudn't decode.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Mr. Toad

I think you might have a problem with the individual unit. I have had mine for about 5 months and never had a problem with it recording blank screens or rebooting.

I have had a problem with Comcast on demand not working. When this happens I force the unit to connect to tivo. I can than use on demand.

The other issue I have had is the wrong show downloading to the iPad. They really need to fix the iPad app and get the Android version out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Mr. Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #21
MScottC

I have had my Roamio Plus and a Mini since the the Roamio first came out. Other than networking issues through green switches, their operation has been flawless. I eliminated the green switches in the path between the two and I've been a very very happy customer.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #22
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvan6500 View Post
This is the only part I agree with. Tivo needs to make the machines work the way they did before they insisted on having a 24 hr internet connection. Nothing on the internet side should stop the basic functions from working properly. Full Stop.
The Roamio doesn't work the same as TivoHD for internet access? What do you mean 24hr internet connection? Doesn't Tivo just use the internet for updates and then only for Streaming purposes. No stream = no internet connection, right?
bcfedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #23
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfedee View Post
The Roamio doesn't work the same as TivoHD for internet access? What do you mean 24hr internet connection? Doesn't Tivo just use the internet for updates and then only for Streaming purposes. No stream = no internet connection, right?
The HDUI has multiple connections to the internet pretty much every movement you make within the menu system. In addition, the TiVo itself sends a "text message" over the internet every 10 seconds or so (to see if anybody wants to download anything to it.)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #24
mattack

The constant net connection is by far the worst thing about current Tivos.. The fact that I can't even do a VIEW UPCOMING when *THEIR SERVERS* are down is bad design. I can't download/stream to my iPad when *THEIR SERVERS* are down, even though I can download to a computer with kmttg, is bad design..

But I still appreciate having 6 tuners... Though I actually watch most of my Roamio content 'through' my Premiere 4 (yeah I keep saying I'm going to sell it), because my !@$# cable company does a "required test" every Fri and/or Sat at 1AM, ruining recordings.. So I leave the Roamio in standby.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
DigitalDawn

Doug,

Who's your cable provider, what's the model number of your CC, and what's the firmware it's using?

I can *almost* guarantee that the problem is your cable card. Either the cable-card model isn't correct for 6 tuners, (like a card that's older than an 800 series) or the firmware needs to be updated.

I was in TiVo hell, starting with the XL4 last year. For over 13 months I lost CC pairing every 3-4 weeks. I had at least 7 service calls, 20 or more calls into Comcast tech support etc. It was even worse with the Roamio and after Comcast did something strange at their head end in West Palm Beach last November, my TiVos couldn't hold on to pairing for more than 5 minutes. After some major nagging, (Ron's says I'm good at that) Comcast downloaded 1.5.3 11.01 into all Palm Beach County Cable cards and all pairing/tuning problems were completely gone. My Ceton PC tuner card that had been very flaky suddenly was working properly. That alone led me to understand that the problems were with the cable cards and not the TiVo.

The way I look at it, is that TiVo has no choice -- they have to rely on third party equipment. If that equipment is old, and/or not updated, then TiVo can't function properly. The good news is that Comcast and some other cable operators have been trying to update their equipment, and in most markets TiVo owners have been accommodated.

I'm hoping that we can get you the latest CC/firmware and that will solve your problems.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #26
dlfl
Cranky old novice

And if you're using a Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter, I believe the firmware on that needs to be F.1901 to support Roamio. In the last two or three months my TWC (SW Ohio) *finally* pushed firmware updates to both CC and TA. I was told the TA updates were for Roamio's and they were being done nationally, although not simultaneously, on all TWC systems. (If there is any TWC system that would be a laggard in this, it's mine.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
mburnno

You know there will be a time when Comcast will surpass Tivo given all of their quality issues surrounding the latest generation of Tivo's. It has always amazed me when someone is having a Tivo problem and they vent about it, which is their right and then afterwards users post just how wonderful their experience has been. Really Really, I just find this hard to believe. Not one single problem that has pissed you off to the point of where you are willing to chunk the Tivo out the window?
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
moyekj

I'm no TiVo apologist (quite the opposite historically), but for me my Roamio Pro has been the most trouble free and by far the best TiVo experience so far. I've been in the other boat though with serious problems that either took forever to be resolved or were never resolved for that hardware platform, so I have empathy for those experiencing problems. Premiere Elite is the platform I probably came closest to wanting to throw out a window it was so frustratingly slow and buggy for me.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #29
brianric

I'm one of those who thinks the Roamio Pro is the most bug infected dvr out of the three Tivo's I owned. Having said that I do have a Premiere XL that works fine. No longer have my Series 2. I've been with Tivo since 2002, and when they're working, is the best dvr on the market IMHO. Kind of hard to throw away when you got over a grand tied up in my two remaining Tivos. I've tried a Comcast dvr, no thank you. Right now I'm with the OP, I will not recommend a Tivo to anyone until the bugs are fixed.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #30
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
You know there will be a time when Comcast will surpass Tivo given all of their quality issues surrounding the latest generation of Tivo's. It has always amazed me when someone is having a Tivo problem and they vent about it, which is their right and then afterwards users post just how wonderful their experience has been. Really Really, I just find this hard to believe. Not one single problem that has pissed you off to the point of where you are willing to chunk the Tivo out the window?
Actually when I have problems with any electronic device/computer I find it useful to know if other people are having the same issues or not. So I want people to post if they are not having the same issues I am having. It really is the only way to know if there is a global problem with the product or if the issue is limited or specific to my device.

I am 100% sure that some Roamio's are or become defective, I think there are times when TiVo is a little to reluctant to replace a unit, and I do find that to be a problem. Also it is certainly clear that there are some issues when certain cable cards and/or tuning adapters are used on some cable provider's systems. What is not clear is if this issue is truly a global problem with TiVo's hardware and/or software that TiVo can fix it or not. Given that many people do not have the problem and that it gets fixed for others when their cable card and/or tuning adapter's firmware is updated, I have my doubts.

To answer your question my Roamio has not "pissed me off" and I certainly do not want to through it out a window. That doesn't mean there haven't been cliches there has, but over all I give it a big thumbs up (however I am OTA only and do not have to deal with cable cards or tuning adapters).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote