TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Johncv

In battle with broadcasters, public sides with Aereo, study finds

The line that get me is "Clearly, the demand for a service like Aereo is growing,"

We did have a "service" like this at one time it was called "cable tv"

Read more: In battle with broadcasters, public sides with Aereo, study finds - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/bat...#ixzz34NTcALdt
Subscribe at FierceCable

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I find it hard to take seriously a poll that argues that 61% of Americans know what Aereo is...

I also find it hard to take seriously anything reported on a web site whose design sensibilities are so firmly rooted in the 90s.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I find it hard to take seriously **any** poll results (except when they agree with my thinking, of course. ).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
The line that get me is "Clearly, the demand for a service like Aereo is growing,"

Read more: In battle with broadcasters, public sides with Aereo, study finds - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/bat...#ixzz34NTcALdt
Subscribe at FierceCable
Shocking that the public would want something that costs less than cable. Fortunately, law is decided by the courts and not polls.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
javabird

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
This.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Shocking that the public would want something that costs less than cable. Fortunately, law is decided by the courts and not polls.
And in a democracy, public opinion can change laws (at least theoretically).
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I also find it hard to take seriously anything reported on a web site whose design sensibilities are so firmly rooted in the 90s.
You're clearly not their target audience...
Quote:
FierceCable is a daily email news briefing for cable service provider executives. Benefit from our time-saving update on TV Everywhere, Interactivity, Headend Consolidation, DOCSIS 3.0, and other cable industry business and technology news. Sign up today!
If only you were a cable exec, then you could keep up with exciting technology from 2006, such as DOCSIS 3.0
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I believe the poll. I believe they could easily find that many people who will side against their cable company know matter what the issue is.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
andrewc2

I'm not surprised that most people would side with Aereo, especially since broadcasters are often viewed as the reason for cable hikes. More so as they continually get into rate disputes which result it dropped channels.

I'm thankful to have a good relationship with my cable provider, wish it was a bit cheaper but they do provide great service. 50/25 internet for $55 is pretty nice!
andrewc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc2 View Post
I'm not surprised that most people would side with Aereo, especially since broadcasters are often viewed as the reason for cable hikes. More so as they continually get into rate disputes which result it dropped channels.

I'm thankful to have a good relationship with my cable provider, wish it was a bit cheaper but they do provide great service. 50/25 internet for $55 is pretty nice!
You really should tell us which company and in which market.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
andrewc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You really should tell us which company and in which market.
Sure! I have Cablevision and live in the NYC TV Market despite living in PA!

Sure they do things that annoy me like charge 4.98 just because there are sports channels in my tv package.

But the internet is spot on, no caps, and they over provision to 60/30. I live in a small town so we aren't terribly oversubscribed and 8x2 Docsis 3 handles everything nicely.

Only complaint is that Optimum Voice isn't available here due to some silly Verizon issue.
andrewc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
rainwater

I doubt the average person in the US knows what the Aereo case involves. However, if you asked people who weren't aware of the case, I would be shocked if they didn't support what Aereo is doing. Of course, that doesn't mean what they are doing will be deemed legal by the Supreme Court. Honestly, that poll didn't provide any meaningful information.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I doubt the average person in the US knows what the Aereo case involves. However, if you asked people who weren't aware of the case, I would be shocked if they didn't support what Aereo is doing. Of course, that doesn't mean what they are doing will be deemed legal by the Supreme Court. Honestly, that poll didn't provide any meaningful information.
The law is not what people feel but what the court thinks is legal, but people options can count such that laws are changed because most people now think it should IE. gay marriage etc.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The law is not what people feel but what the court thinks is legal, but people options can count such that laws are changed because most people now think it should IE. gay marriage etc.
I would be shocked if the people used in this poll understand copyright law so I doubt their opinions mean much. For example, if you asked, "Should it be legal for Aereo to provide your local stations for a fee?" Obviously, most people will say yes. That doesn't mean their opinions will influence copyright law.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #15
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc2 View Post
Sure! I have Cablevision and live in the NYC TV Market despite living in PA!

Sure they do things that annoy me like charge 4.98 just because there are sports channels in my tv package.

But the internet is spot on, no caps, and they over provision to 60/30. I live in a small town so we aren't terribly oversubscribed and 8x2 Docsis 3 handles everything nicely.

Only complaint is that Optimum Voice isn't available here due to some silly Verizon issue.
And Ooma was having issues with Verizon, as well.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #16
Series3Sub

We own the OTA spectrum and allow the broadcasters to make their BILLIONS of money on OUR bandwidth FREE of any charge on the taxpayers dime who provided low-interest loans to probably never be paid back to upgrade the broadcaster's transmitters. You bet there should be NO CHARGE for accessing OUR locals broadcast stations via Aero or any MVPD at NO CHARGE to the viewer, provided the viewer is in the DMA. However, I don't think Aereo should be allowed to provide those same local channels streaming live. They may charge for the DVR service, but not for streaming them without the DVR service. All MVPD's would still provide the locals because there is demand for them, and it COULD be less expensive to the consumer without the high re-transmission fees the broadcasters demand.

It all depends upon the real wording of the question and if text for background on the issue was provided because there would probably be a lot of people who might think the broadcasters are entitled to be paid if Aereo retransmits it to PAYING customers.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote