TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Transfer speed with Plus and Pro

Forgive me if this a repeated subject however with upgrading to the Pro and it having a a Gb ethernet connection I expected faster transfer speeds when transferring recordings with Kmttg as both my Pro and PC running Kmttg are on Gb but I'm not seeing much if any speed improvements compared to when I had just the Roamio basic which had 100mb ethernet.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm seeing around 90 mbps averages on 1gb ethernet according to Kmttg with transport stream enabled, PS is even slower, what are others seeing?

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Forgive me if this a repeated subject however with upgrading to the Pro and it having a a Gb ethernet connection I expected faster transfer speeds when transferring recordings with Kmttg as both my Pro and PC running Kmttg are on Gb but I'm not seeing much if any speed improvements compared to when I had just the Roamio basic which had 100mb ethernet.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm seeing around 90 mbps averages on 1gb ethernet according to Kmttg with transport stream enabled, PS is even slower, what are others seeing?
Similar here since the latest update. I think the latest update slowed speeds down. In the past I've hit speeds like 117.6 Mbps on my Plus.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hopefully the next update speeds things back up to where the used to be.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Yeah, me too (+1)...

20.4.1 not only loads the CPU bad enough when transferring to cause live and recording glitching and make the menus/navigation/playback/trickplay near impossible, but also actually hurts the speed of anything over the network for me...

It's not a good sign, to me. If they let that issues go full-rollout. Who knows what new issues lurk in the next update...

TiVoMargret is AWOL/MIA on TCF, and even her twitter feed has slowed to a crawl.

It's my understanding, based on an article from somewhere, and other quotes of TiVo's upper-management, that TiVo has eliminated personnel devoted entirely to retail, and now is assigning them to focusing on their MSO partners, as top priority.

There was a list of 3-letter designations (titles, like CMO) that were devoted to retail, who now have to handle MSO first, and retail gets the scraps, if any are even left...
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Yeah, me too (+1)...

20.4.1 not only loads the CPU bad enough when transferring to cause live and recording glitching and make the menus/navigation/playback/trickplay near impossible, but also actually hurts the speed of anything over the network for me...

It's not a good sign, to me. If they let that issues go full-rollout. Who knows what new issues lurk in the next update...

TiVoMargret is AWOL/MIA on TCF, and even her twitter feed has slowed to a crawl.

It's my understanding, based on an article from somewhere, and other quotes of TiVo's upper-management, that TiVo has eliminated personnel devoted entirely to retail, and now is assigning them to focusing on their MSO partners, as top priority.

There was a list of 3-letter designations (titles, like CMO) that were devoted to retail, who now have to handle MSO first, and retail gets the scraps, if any are even left...
Yes and I have the very same impression of Tivo, they are abandoning the retail product and converting their operation to be centered with the cable companies.

Other than the additional 2 tuners gained, I'm seeing no benefit of having a Plus with Gb ethernet when it's performance is the same as 100mb ethernet of the basic 4 tuner Roamio. I wish I could find the messag thread were someone described the ethernet interface of the Plus and Pro were they described that it was not a sole interface but rather a built in 1gb switch and the Moca, ethernet and Stream were simply three interfaces connected to that switched interface externally.

It's nuts that the best transfer speed of a recording averages less than 100 mbps. Perhaps in a poor networked environment but in my situation I'm connected with a very fast layer 3 routing ethernet switch that can handle multiple 10gb ethernet connections so I'm all but certain that it's not my switch. Of course perhaps that's that problem since Tivo does "support" switches......

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
telemark

Any transfer is only going to be as fast as its slowest component. For Kmttg, I think that's Tivo's CPU or some crypto chip to change the on disk format to the TivoToGo format, at least on the server side. On the client side, it's a similar issue.

<speculation>
If you want to find a network speed improvement, something Tivo to Tivo, like MRV could potentially transfer the ondisk format intact.

If each stream is 12Mb/s though, you'd need a lot of Tivos to break the 100Mbit barrier.

I suppose if you transfer the show Tivo to Tivo, rather than stream, it should run faster than realtime, so might be the best indicator.
</speculation>

Another wildcard is the built in Tivo Stream. My estimations is it never would have crossed over 100Mb/s either, but now that traffic is internal, we can't tell.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Any transfer is only going to be as fast as its slowest component. For Kmttg, I think that's Tivo's CPU or some crypto chip to change the on disk format to the TivoToGo format, at least on the server side. On the client side, it's a similar issue.

<speculation>
If you want to find a network speed improvement, something Tivo to Tivo, like MRV could potentially transfer the ondisk format intact.

If each stream is 12Mb/s though, you'd need a lot of Tivos to break the 100Mbit barrier.

I suppose if you transfer the show Tivo to Tivo, rather than stream, it should run faster than realtime, so might be the best indicator.
</speculation>

Another wildcard is the built in Tivo Stream. My estimations is it never would have crossed over 100Mb/s either, but now that traffic is internal, we can't tell.
TiVo to TiVo (transferring) is the worst case scenario for many, even Roamio to Roamio.

It's actual transferring, not streaming that brings the most powerful TiVo made to it's knees, and bringing the speeds down to old platform rates.

The biggest thing everybody who has experienced it knows, is that it was never like this on the Roamio until the 20.4.1 software.

It has nothing to do with KMTTG. The issue wasn't present with KMTTG before 20.4.1.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The biggest thing everybody who has experienced it knows, is that it was never like this on the Roamio until the 20.4.1 software.
Did Premieres start doing the same thing starting on the same release?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Did Premieres start doing the same thing starting on the same release?
They weren't as fast to begin with. But, yes, they got worse with 20.4.1 as well, including Premiere<->Premiere and Roamio<->Premiere, etc.

Not only does a full-on transfer (much more data, much faster than streaming), cripple the units and even corrupt recordings in progress, but the transfer speed is actually slower.

It makes no sense, to me, that both the max throughput is crippled, but so is the UI and core operations of the units. I could understand if the speed of the transfer doubled, and the UI halved, or the other way around. But, both are crippled.

As you said before, just streaming a program as a stream doesn't take much bandwidth, so those who only stream and/or never transfer, may never notice the problem.