TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
atmuscarella

Cnet Rates Roamio Best OTA DVR

If anyone is interested - pretty much what most of us using a Roamio for OTA have been saying all along.
http://www.cnet.com/products/tivo-roamio/

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
timr_42

This was on the Cnet podcast I got yesterday. It was called "first look"

First look? like the product was brand new.

timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If anyone is interested - pretty much what most of us using a Roamio for OTA have been saying all along.
http://www.cnet.com/products/tivo-roamio/
Positive review sort of, but I wouldn't buy one based on this review..But then again I wouldn't buy anything based on their reviews.
Most of the people who bought Romaio's could write a better review than this.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Positive review sort of, but I wouldn't buy one based on this review..But then again I wouldn't buy anything based on their reviews.
Most of the people who bought Romaio's could write a better review than this.
Yes their hangup with the subscription price somewhat overshadowed their actually review. $600+/- with lifetime isn't a cheap price, they were looking at this in the context of cord cutting so I guess they assumed people cutting the cord would be very concerned with the price.

They also mentioned that app support was lacking which we all agree with, beyond that the review was really positive.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #5
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
This was on the Cnet podcast I got yesterday. It was called "first look"

First look? like the product was brand new.

They did an earlier "First Look" when the Roamio first came out, but it wasn't as comprehensive as the latest one nor was it as emphatic about Roamio being the best option for OTA because they did not review it for that at the time. The earlier First Look focused on the Pro and Plus and the Mini option and the built-in Stream features. The latest firs look is all about the best DVR for cord cutters, not at all about Pro and Plus because they do not receive OTA.

While I agree that TiVo is EASILY the best OTA DVR because of the number of tuners (4) and its abilities with purchased accessories (Stream not built in to the Roamio but Mini capable), it is the PRICE that keeps just about everyone to whom I have recommended TiVo to just drop their jaw and plain forget about it. I had an aunt who was going to get a Roamio, but she just kept looking at the numbers, especially the monthly subscription, and decided she could do without it.

It is the monthly subscription that really just scares people away more than the upfront although the Pro and Plus box price can cause heart failure for those I tell about TiVo, the Roamio up front box cost is somewhat palatable, but "$15 A MONTH!!!!" (yeah, I know really $14.99) just kills whatever desire they just had to get a TiVo. Sigh! There just isn't any way around that fee. However, this is why a lot of people will opt for the inferior (but not bad) new Channel Master DVR+, simply because it has NO recurring monthly cost. Yes, the DVR+ represents a significant up front investment, but people are willing to do it because they won't have to pay a monthly fee. That's just the way people are, and it's hard to blame them.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 06-17-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #6
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes their hangup with the subscription price somewhat overshadowed their actually review. $600+/- with lifetime isn't a cheap price, they were looking at this in the context of cord cutting so I guess they assumed people cutting the cord would be very concerned with the price.

They also mentioned that app support was lacking which we all agree with, beyond that the review was really positive.
+1. I thought they were emphatic about the Roamio being the best OTA DVR option. They would not be doing their job if they didn't mention the price, and I fear that is what has kept TiVo from getting nearly as many DVR's in the home as the free give aways from the cable and sat companies. IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT THE PRICE.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote