TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
PHeadland

Pop-up ads

Leaving aside how I feel about paying around $1,000 for a TiVo plus lifetime service in order to be pestered by advertising (hint - not positive)...

We are seeing a "Cryptonite free trial" ad op up above the pause bar, Pressing "down" gets rid of it OK, but the damn' thing comes back every single time we pause, which is getting really, really old, because we generally pause so we can look at the picture, and the advert covers up a big chunk of it. I did the SPS-Pause trick (which I did not want to do, because I find the bar useful) but even then the ad flashes up annoyingly for about half a second when I pause.

I don't recall our old TiVo HD behaving like this (I vaguely recollect that once you dismissed an ad it was gone for good) - is this something new, or do I just remember wrong?

More to the point, is there some way to retain the bar but stop the excessively frequent pop-up ad (I don't mind seeing it once in a while, it's the excessive repetition/flashing that is infuriating).

As to the value of the advertising; right now I would happily punch someone from Cryptonite in the face, because it is so intrusive and annoying. The chances of me every wanting to buy something from them are zero.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeadland View Post
Leaving aside how I feel about paying around $1,000 for a TiVo plus lifetime service in order to be pestered by advertising (hint - not positive)...
I'm a new TiVo owner, so I wasn't sure about the history of ads. A week or so ago I remember seeing something on the TiVo Central page (I think) about CBS shows. Now the Carbonite ad.

Whether one is paying month to month or lifetime -- it seems unfair to get ads. If the TiVo service was free I wouldn't mind the ads -- but it's not free.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
kbmb

I can't STAND the ads while pausing a show or even worse....when you go to delete a recording at the end, the Keep or Delete box shows up and then a split second later a carbonite ad shows up at the bottom.

If they really have to do ads, do it in the discovery bar.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
I did the SPS-Pause trick (which I did not want to do, because I find the bar useful) but even then the ad flashes up annoyingly for about half a second when I pause.
The Pause Ads were "upgraded" recently and they do take longer to appear and disappear even with my beloved SPSPS setting which is annoying. I turned off SPSPS setting just to take a longer look at the Pause Ad and it's ridiculous how big and intrusive it has become. I can tolerate ads in Discovery Bar or main page but TiVo is taking it too far these days...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

"spsps" ??
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
ajayabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
"spsps" ??
Select Play Select Pause Select (Easter Egg)

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Select Play Select Pause Select (Easter Egg)
From which screens is this usable?

Are there other Easter Egg commands? How do I find out about them?
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Whether one is paying month to month or lifetime -- it seems unfair to get ads. If the TiVo service was free I wouldn't mind the ads -- but it's not free.
Many of us totally agree. I find pause ads to be annoying because many times I am pausing because I want to see what is on the screen. And when you dismiss a damn pause ad, don't you think that should "stick" for at LEAST the program you are watching?

The Discovery Bar is annoying enough- robbing me of valuable space for a bunch of nonsense I do not want and its real purpose is to try and hide/blend in the ads. But inserting things in the menus and video is unacceptable, especially if they are going to keep pushing the limits as to how big it becomes.

Are you listening to us, TiVo?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
From which screens is this usable?

Are there other Easter Egg commands? How do I find out about them?
Normal SPS backdoors can be entered while playing back an existing recording, but this one is special requiring either a Pause Ad or Showcase video to enable it. Easiest way to enter SPSPS backdoor without having to jump through hoops is using kmttg Remote where you will also find a list of all available SPS backdoors.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

We are seeing a "Cryptonite free trial" ad op up above the pause bar, Pressing "down" gets rid of it OK, but the damn' thing comes back every single time we pause, which is getting really, really old, because we generally pause so we can look at the picture, and the advert covers up a big chunk of it. I did the SPS-Pause trick (which I did not want to do, because I find the bar useful) but even then the ad flashes up annoyingly for about half a second when I pause.

I don't recall our old TiVo HD behaving like this (I vaguely recollect that once you dismissed an ad it was gone for good) - is this something new, or do I just remember wrong?

More to the point, is there some way to retain the bar but stop the excessively frequent pop-up ad (I don't mind seeing it once in a while, it's the excessive repetition/flashing that is infuriating).

As to the value of the advertising; right now I would happily punch someone from Cryptonite in the face, because it is so intrusive and annoying. The chances of me every wanting to buy something from them are zero.
I've been seeing ads for Carbonite lately. Is that what you mean? I had been looking at it recently anyway. The ad got me two free months of service so I'm glad it popped up. It certainly did not prevent me from doing anything with my TiVos. I thought it was very unobtrusive.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
innocentfreak

I usually don't mind them but the pause ad for Carbonite is definitely distracting. First the box is rather large. Second it pops up repeatedly. I have always used pause and then play for resume to avoid the jump back feature. As a result I can see it many times in an episode. I have probably seen the same popup close to 30 times today while I was skipping through shows.

It would be better if it only popped up say every 10 minutes, because at this point it doesn't make me want to do business with Carbonite. It is similar to the pop up ads they are dealing with on one of the other sites I frequent. It turns me off to the company advertising because they are so obtrusive.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Devx

So several have posted about the Carbonite ad reappearing during the same show. When I dismiss the ad it goes away and it doesn't reappear again during the same show. Is there a time delay before it appears again or is it consistently showing up and I missed something? I don't use SPSPS.

I do agree however it's much larger than I remember on the Premiere HDUI(which I've switched to SDUI).

Another benefit of early adoption on the newest Tivo platform is realizing how "clean" the interface can be. Remember a few weeks ago when there were almost no ads, and then a few more weeks back where there were even fewer ads?
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
a80099

Agreed... adding more and more adds/pops ups is not what I pay extra for in a service. Tivo is not exactly a cheap solution to begin with, but now I feel like its a free service where I have to put up with pop ups and more adds (exactly opposite of one of the reason I use Tivo.. SKIP THE ADDS). Ugh.. Nothing like treating paying customers like free moochers.

I had this gripe from Comcast too and pop ups on their guide. Be one thing if it stopped/could be stopped or wasn't so intrusive. But it does not. Just keeps happening and its the same add (Carbonite). I don't want it. never will. Let me make go away. It is annoying. I get the add people paid you for this.. BUT I paid you too to get this service.

SHADY TIVO, SHADY.

* Sad really, my first post here with my new Roamio service (bought early Sep) and its about this. I really like many things about it.. Love even... But the adds are... well.. frustrating.

Quote:

Last edited by a80099 : 10-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.
a80099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
HenryFarpolo

A giant step in the wrong direction. Like fingernails on a blackboard every time the Carbonite appears.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see no issues. Like other services they sell ads to bring in money since what they charge people does not cover everything. People already complain about how TiVo costs too much. If they charged enough to break even it would cost even more. So I have no problems with the ads. If they were obtrusive or stopped me from using my TiVos I would have a problem with it, but so far the pop up ads have not done anything to hinder my use of my TiVos. And the ads have saved me money.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see no issues. Like other services they sell ads to bring in money since what they charge people does not cover everything. People already complain about how TiVo costs too much. If they charged enough to break even it would cost even more. So I have no problems with the ads. If they were obtrusive or stopped me from using my TiVos I would have a problem with it, but so far the pop up ads have not done anything to hinder my use of my TiVos. And the ads have saved me money.
I understand where you are coming from but disagree. The advertising dollars they are making from Carbonite are not going to be enough to, lets say, keep the monthly cost from being a $1 more or a lifetime subscription from being $30 more or them charging $30 more per box, etc, etc. Of course, I do not know what they are getting for the Ads but knowing the business I'm fairly certain it would not make a dent.

Now I don't mind seeing an ad when I go to Tivo Central. There's a bunch of blank space to the right under the "My Shows" tab and even when you're in "My Shows" you can probably put an add or two up top (where they put Carbonite ad now) and to the right under the shows you have recorded.

I think it's wrong to put it on a pause screen and is not in good taste for all the reasons listed in other posts. I don't pay a premium for an iPad for ads. If I want ads I'll get a Kindle....and if I don't want ads on that I'll pay the $30 extra to eliminate them. Tivo is a premium device and should not include ads IMO.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
BigJimOutlaw

Tivo has never reported ad revenue because it's never materially added to their bottom line. They're selling our annoyed eyeballs for a pittance.

I don't mind the Discover bar ads. I tolerate the ads at the bottom of Tivo Central. But the re-occurring oversized pause ad that doesn't stay gone is ridiculous.

Tivo won't do anything based on our word alone, but maybe we should start telling Carbonite (and future advertisers) that the pause ad is too obtrusive and it's hurting their brand.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
a80099

I agree.. dont mind "some".. such as the one on Tivo central.. Why is it starred? I really dislike the pop up the is slow to pop up and changes the screen while I am trying to navigate it and read.

If I pause, NO.. Really.. I am not pausing to get the add that I have seen over and over again and ignored cause in the middle of my show is when I wanna buy a computer service.

The adds are to many places, to intrusive and since its seems to be the SAME one over and over.. useless...

"annoyed eyeballs" PERFECT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Tivo has never reported ad revenue because it's never materially added to their bottom line. They're selling our annoyed eyeballs for a pittance.

I don't mind the Discover bar ads. I tolerate the ads at the bottom of Tivo Central. But the re-occurring oversized pause ad that doesn't stay gone is ridiculous.

Tivo won't do anything based on our word alone, but maybe we should start telling Carbonite (and future advertisers) that the pause ad is too obtrusive and it's hurting their brand.

a80099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I don't like the ads either, and I agree that they are not adding much money to TiVo's bottom line.

But we're no longer the target audience for the ads. The target audience is the cable company execs looking to see how adopting TiVo for their cable company can add to their bottom line. We stand-aloners have proven that we're not willing to pay enough to keep TiVo a viable company. I imagine cable companies are quite interested in opportunities to push targeted advertising for their Pay-Per-View and other specials, for instance.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
But we're no longer the target audience for the ads.
If that's the case then don't target standalone units with the ads then, plain and simple.

If it gets much more intrusive than it already is then a "premium" service fee to opt out of ads may be the next step...

Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If that's the case then don't target standalone units with the ads then, plain and simple.
We're the demo market, for both capabilities and usage statistics, IMO. If we don't like it, we should find some other way for TiVo to get more money from us - TiVo has not been able to come up with one for the past 14 years.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

If it gets much more intrusive than it already is then a "premium" service fee to opt out of ads may be the next step...
We paid a "premium" service fee when we purchased our TIVO's.

I am not complaining about the price. TIVO is a good product. The addition of ads as invasive as these are is a poor decision.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
GameJerk

Ads on top of a monthly fee irks me. It's the same reason Hulu Plus gets on my nerves sometimes, although those ads aren't too intrusive.
GameJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
gigaguy

I haven't noticed this on my Premiere. I do see smallish ads across the bottom of the control screen which I don't like since this is a PAID service. TiVo should at least state they put ads on your screen,when they sell you their 'service' package. Other companies offer the option of free or ad supported. TiVo only offers one option, not free, with ads.

My 2 month trial with a cheap Premiere is showing me things I like and don't like about Tivo. Before I spend any real $ with TiVo I'm definitely going to see if Apple announces any rumored video/TV news on Tuesday. Apple may be pricey, but it will be done right, with timely fixes and updates, smart tech, and excellent OS and support.

Last edited by gigaguy : 10-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
ptr727

I agree, they are annoying.

I pay tivo for equipment and for service, do not advertise on my box.

If you want to advertise, then give me service for free, or give me hardware for free, that would be fair, right?

P.
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
SullyND
L:27-31

I want Comcast to give me my Cable for free! Why should I pay when they're constantly hitting me with ads.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
hamlet00

The ads are there because enough suckers tolerate them, just like government intrusion.
hamlet00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
Jeremy5

Count me as also very disappointed with the ads. I chose TiVo for a premium experience over a cable/satellite DVR. Seeing the same ad again and again is not making me very happy with this decision. I saw it once in TiVo central. Do I really need to see it again when I pause a program? Again in the discovery bar? And the worst one, once again after I finished watching a show! I'm getting asked whether I want to keep the recording, delete the recording, or try Cryptonite?!
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #29
DVRMike

One of my main reasons for getting a tivo is the interface. The ads take away from that interface. The ad in the discovery bar was distracting enough. The gold stars in tivo central and my shows are annoying. But I really hate the pause ad and the delayed ad on the delete dialog. Are there any other new types of ads I will be introduced to?

I don't know what tivo gets for the ads but it has to hurt their word of mouth sales. I wouldn't recommend the tivo to anyone without first warning them about the ads.

Tivo should allow us to turn the ads off for free with an option in the settings. It's got to be better to lose some ad dollars than to lose potential customers.
DVRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #30
yokito

We will very likely walk if this gets any worse and we can't pay my way out of this.

Our home has been ad-free since 2003 when we started recording everything we intend to watch. TiVo better not go down that route.