TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
someToast
I own a spoon.

Roamio Plus, no wifi option

I'm trying to connect my Roamio Plus to my phone's wifi hotspot in order to get around the issue with connecting via Comcast to get guide data.

I've only ever connected via Ethernet, but now, with the Roamio physically disconnected from the network, my only options on the Change Network Settings screen are Connect using Ethernet, Connect using MoCA, and Use this DVR to create a MoCA network.

Is there any reason I don't have a wifi option here? I'm hesitant to power cycle the box with the network issue with Comcast still going on. I'm not going to be popular if the TiVo becomes entirely unusable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 27,000+ songs streaming live — power pop to alt-folk, big band to jazz, alternative to indie
someToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by someToast View Post
I'm trying to connect my Roamio Plus to my phone's wifi hotspot in order to get around the issue with connecting via Comcast to get guide data.

I've only ever connected via Ethernet, but now, with the Roamio physically disconnected from the network, my only options on the Change Network Settings screen are Connect using Ethernet, Connect using MoCA, and Use this DVR to create a MoCA network.

Is there any reason I don't have a wifi option here? I'm hesitant to power cycle the box with the network issue with Comcast still going on. I'm not going to be popular if the TiVo becomes entirely unusable.
It's not a Roamio? When I bring up Change Network Settings on a basic Roamio I have two choices: Modify Ethernet settings or Connect using wireless. I would do a power cycle and look again. I am still connected with Ethernet also.

BTW, you haven't been able to change the MTU on your router? 1470 was my magic number.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
someToast
I own a spoon.

Nope, six-tuner Roamio Plus.

I'm routing through an AirPort Extreme, so no access to the MTU value.

I'll give the restart a try and cross my fingers that I don't lock the box into an infinite "Just a few seconds more!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 27,000+ songs streaming live — power pop to alt-folk, big band to jazz, alternative to indie
Old 01-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by someToast View Post
Nope, six-tuner Roamio Plus.

I'll give the restart a try and cross my fingers that I don't lock the box into an infinite "Just a few seconds more!"
That's weird. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It's not a Roamio? When I bring up Change Network Settings on a basic Roamio I have two choices: Modify Ethernet settings or Connect using wireless. I would do a power cycle and look again. I am still connected with Ethernet also.
OP has Roamio Plus which includes built-in MoCA support.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
OP has Roamio Plus which includes built-in MoCA support.
I know, but where is the wireless setting?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
someToast
I own a spoon.

Restarting through the Help menu had no effect, but yanking the power brought wireless back as a network menu option.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I know, but where is the wireless setting?
OK, that is weird.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Durfman

My friend has a Roamio Plus he uses with Wifi and has this issue from time to time. The box suddenly can't find the wireless hardware. Restarting doesn't work. He has to pull the plug to get wireless working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
bryan4980

These issues sound similar to issues I had with a computer which where also the same issues I had with photo processing equipment. Basically things would stop functioning until you power cycled the device (unplugged it from the power). With the photo processing equipment (Noritsu 901) it required a power down and have the connector for a sensor to be plugged in and unplugged several times. I assumed the reason for this was needing to purge any charge on the board because something was functioning incorrectly which I assume is the same problem with the computer and possibly your Tivo. Although the good news is that the computer continued to function for many years as did the photo equipment.

bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #11
ghenry1111

I lost the "Connect using wireless" option from the "Change network settings" menu, too.

Restarting the TiVo from the Help menu did not work. Had to unplug/replug the TiVo and that brought the menu choice back.

Thanks to tivocommunity.com!

ghenry1111 is offline   Reply With Quote