TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #31
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Totally agree with this. Instead of being engrossed in the story and not even thinking about Tatiana, the introduction of Tony took me completely out of the story and had me focusing solely on Tatiana's performance rather than what Tony meant to the plot.
Right.

I see what they're trying to do (q.v. episode's title) but their hubris over themselves and Tatiana's awesome acting skills pushed them to A Bridge Too Far with this episode.

Everyone makes mistakes. Let's hope they don't compound it.
philw1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #32
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
The problem with "Tony" aside from the laugh out loud ludicrous appearance is that Tony rudely yanks you out of the drama and into the reality of realizing that you are watching a TV show where Tatiana is playing all these different characters.
Not only did it yank me out of the drama but it threw me into Portlandia.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #33
Church AV Guy

I expect the writers and producers to hear all this and fix the show. ...Unless of course Veena Sud is involved, in which case, they will simply ignore the complaints.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #34
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

If the Pulp Fiction similarities hadn't gone far enough, this episode we got a signature Tarantino "camera inside the trunk" scene in that storyline. Loved Alison's reaction.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #35
cheesesteak
Meh.

Tatiana has Sarah, Cosima, Allison and Helena nailed. I don't think she does as good a job with Rachel. I just don't find Rachel as "believable" as the other four. I echo the previous thoughts about Tony but maybe Tony should have been introduced more slowly over time in order to get a better feel for the character instead of devoting most of an episode to him. Or maybe he should have been paired with Helena.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #36
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I got the impression from both the episode and outside sources that Tony was an experiment to see how it went, thus the very open end to the episode with him heading to the bus.

For all the comments about how "bad" Tony looked, I think it's just folks not having experience with transmen and the hand they're dealt, he didn't stand out at all from the men I've known that are in that situation. Tatiana got most of the mannerisms down ok, (it was missing the obligatory adjusting himself shot ) but she needed a bit more voice coaching IMNSHO, but I'm glad they did it.

Loved the Cosima crashing the geek games night and trouncing them, and even more so LOVED Alison's comments on how wrong Donnies job at coverup was and she had to clean it up starting with the trunk. They also peeled back the onion of Duncan and that there may be a bit more to him than it appears, especially with Kira now having his copy of Dr Moreau with the crib notes in it.

Last edited by dianebrat : 06-10-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: pre-caffeine typos
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Now we have a clone that's b.s. crazy, two that are gay, with one of the gay characters changing to a man. Was this done due to experimentation by the scientist dude (I'm having a bad day for remembering names), or by accident (as we learn that Sarah having the baby was not supposed to happen)?
I don't know if those specific traits were intentional or they just modified certain genes to see what would happen, but the main purpose of the clones was to test variations in their genetic sequences. Their long term goal appears to have been (and perhaps continues to be for Dyad) to develop specific genetic enhancements. The sequences involving those enhancements is most likely what they were patenting rather than them trying to exert ownership of the clones themselves.

When Ethan was questioning Rachel about remembering Dr. Moreau, for a minute I thought that perhaps he was thinking that Sarah, being able to bear children, was the control clone or even the original naturally created embryo from which the other clones were created. I thought that he and Susan had intended to raise the control clone, and that perhaps Rachel and Sarah had somehow gotten switched.

But then I remembered that Helena could also bear children. Still, it was strange the way he asked her about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
This was my initial reaction, too.

And then when this became the explanation, I was able to accept it.
I assumed from the beginning that Tatiana was playing a new clone. But at first I thought it was just a tough-talking female clone. I didn't realize she was supposed to be playing a male until I noticed the facial hair. At that point I thought she was playing someone who had been genetically modified to have a male body, and was really taken out of the story because she did seem to be playing a parody of herself. But once I realized she was playing a transgender character, it did make it more believable.

However, unlike every other character that Tatiana has played, I never once forgot that it was Tatiana playing Tony. The strange thing is, Tony actually looked more different than the other clones than the others look between each other. But while it has been easy for me to forget that the same actress was playing multiple clones when the regular ones interacted, when Sarah was talking to Tony, my brain registered it as "Sarah talking to Tatiana playing another clone".
Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #38
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
...However, unlike every other character that Tatiana has played, I never once forgot that it was Tatiana playing Tony. The strange thing is, Tony actually looked more different than the other clones than the others look between each other. But while it has been easy for me to forget that the same actress was playing multiple clones when the regular ones interacted, when Sarah was talking to Tony, my brain registered it as "Sarah talking to Tatiana playing another clone".
Agreed 100%.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Tony is proof of how brilliant Tatiana has been playing all of the different clones - and how easily this can go off the rails.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #40
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I think part of the issue with Tony was that the chemistry between Felix and the other clones is so great, but the chemistry between Felix and Tony was so awkward. I realize that was partially by design, because Felix didn't know how to deal with a male version of Sarah, but most of the awkwardness came off as being poor execution rather than intentional.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #41
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
For all the comments about how "bad" Tony looked, I think it's just folks not having experience with transmen and the hand they're dealt, he didn't stand out at all from the men I've known that are in that situation.
This. They aren't trying to make a "boy clone", they're trying to make a "girl clone that wants to be a boy", and I don't think it's a complete failure, but they don't get an "A for effort", either.

I'm going to give them at least another episode before I write it off as a 100% terrible thing.

And I thought the interplay between "him" and Felix had moments. Not many, but some.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #42
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
This. They aren't trying to make a "boy clone", they're trying to make a "girl clone that wants to be a boy", and I don't think it's a complete failure, but they don't get an "A for effort", either.

I'm going to give them at least another episode before I write it off as a 100% terrible thing.

And I thought the interplay between "him" and Felix had moments. Not many, but some.

Brad
Bingo. Most here seem to be judging if she played a "boy" well enough. Well, that wasn't what she was playing. She was playing a girl who became a boy by choice. For that, she did well enough.