TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
FitzAusTex

Weak Roamio Remote RF Signal?

Been a bit concerned about the RF strength on my Roamio remote since I got it in February. It works most of the time, but about 5 to 10% it flashes red, and the Roamio doesn't respond. Tivo sent me a replacement remote last week, and the new one is exactly the same.

My Roamio is on a shelf near my TV, and not concealed behind doors. I normally use it about 10ft away from the Roamio.

I've used RF Harmonys that I can basically use anywhere in my house with greater success rates.

Wondering if others are having sporadic issues, or if my Roamio might be defective? Appreciate the feedback.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I had a Slide pro, first paired with my Xl4, then my Roamio. My Roamio remote was first paired with my Roamio, and then paired with my Mini with the Slide dongle.

Both remotes were then acting like that until I did a global reset* on the remotes and re-paired them. Since then, they have both stayed in RF mode, I haven't seen them drop out of it once.

There's of course the chance that you have some sort of interference on the particular RF band the Tivo uses. If my method doesn't do it, you could always either power off every other device and see if that changes things, or even try the tivo at another site.

*which clears ALL programming from the remote, of course! Hold down tivo+power till the remote blinks red, thumbs down 3 times, and then hit enter.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
Been a bit concerned about the RF strength on my Roamio remote since I got it in February. It works most of the time, but about 5 to 10% it flashes red, and the Roamio doesn't respond. Tivo sent me a replacement remote last week, and the new one is exactly the same.

My Roamio is on a shelf near my TV, and not concealed behind doors. I normally use it about 10ft away from the Roamio.

I've used RF Harmonys that I can basically use anywhere in my house with greater success rates.

Wondering if others are having sporadic issues, or if my Roamio might be defective? Appreciate the feedback.
You already saw my post in a similar thread, over here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10128197

You can always set the remote to IR-only, or manually set the IR/RF address designations.

Many don't know that both IR & RF can be manually set, with Roamios, and needs to be set on both the remotes and the TiVos.

Setting one, and not the other, tends to make matters much worse, should the remote ever fallback to IR (for TiVo communication), and all remotes and TiVos are still set to the factory default of "0".

"0" address on the TiVo means accept ALL IR commands from all remotes (no matter what address the remotes are set to), while zero on the remote will allow that remote to control all TiVos, even if the TiVos have an assigned address, other than "0".

There's a few threads around with better instructions that what TiVo gives.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
I had a Slide pro, first paired with my Xl4, then my Roamio. My Roamio remote was first paired with my Roamio, and then paired with my Mini with the Slide dongle.

Both remotes were then acting like that until I did a global reset* on the remotes and re-paired them. Since then, they have both stayed in RF mode, I haven't seen them drop out of it once.

There's of course the chance that you have some sort of interference on the particular RF band the Tivo uses. If my method doesn't do it, you could always either power off every other device and see if that changes things, or even try the tivo at another site.

*which clears ALL programming from the remote, of course! Hold down tivo+power till the remote blinks red, thumbs down 3 times, and then hit enter.
I'll try the global reset. Thanks for the info. I probably wasn't clear in my original question, though. Was trying to get a feel about how strong the RF signal from the Roamio remote generally is. I don't expect it to work from my mailbox on the street, but was hoping that I'd have the ability to use it pretty much anywhere in my family room and kitchen (open floor plan). I wirelessly split the Tivo signal to my bedroom (one wall away), and it is really hit or miss through that wall, so I have to use my RF Harmony in the bedroom (which has no problem through that wall).
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
You already saw my post in a similar thread, over here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10128197

You can always set the remote to IR-only, or manually set the IR/RF address designations.

Many don't know that both IR & RF can be manually set, with Roamios, and needs to be set on both the remotes and the TiVos.

Setting one, and not the other, tends to make matters much worse, should the remote ever fallback to IR (for TiVo communication), and all remotes and TiVos are still set to the factory default of "0".

"0" address on the TiVo means accept ALL IR commands from all remotes (no matter what address the remotes are set to), while zero on the remote will allow that remote to control all TiVos, even if the TiVos have an assigned address, other than "0".

There's a few threads around with better instructions that what TiVo gives.
Thanks for the info about manually setting the address. After I try the global reset, I'd like to try this. Hopefully I can locate info on how to manually set the address.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
FitzAusTex

So tried different addresses, and no difference.

Does anyone use their remote in another room? Still trying to get a feel from folks what the consistent range of the RF actually is. Was hoping to be able to use in bedroom through one wall, but having enough issues 10 ft away in same room. Seems that even my leg can interfere with the RF signal. Two remotes act same way. Tivo is offering to replace the Roamio, but hesitant to go through that process if this is just how it is for everyone.

Yesterday I turned off every device in my house in an attempt to isolate/remove any interference, and nothing helped.

Would love it if folks would provide their assessment of their own RF satisfaction.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I can use my remote like 30+ feet away in RF mode, about as far as I can go and still see part of the screen of my tv to see that it is working. At that point, I do not have a direct line between the remote and the Roamio, there is one wall blocking. If I put the remote behind my back at that distance, then it gets hit and miss.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Has anybody tried non-rechargeable Lithium batteries, and noticed any significant differences (besides longer life)?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
HarperVision

I thought I read something about a connection on the TiVo's main board being a little loose and reseating helped a similar issue?
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Has anybody tried non-rechargeable Lithium batteries, and noticed any significant differences (besides longer life)?
I used them for awhile. There was zero difference in performance when compared to using my Eneloop rechargeable batteries. But also my TiVo RF remotes all get 30+ feet of range. I have five Slide Pro remotes setup along with one of the original Roamio RF remotes. They all have excellent range for me in my single level condo. Even with the signal going through a brick firewall and several layers of drywall.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote