TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Question Why is my space disappearing on my HD3?

I have an HD3 TiVo 1350 which supposedly has 1241 SD hours. To save space, I record in SD.

When I left for a 3 day trip, I deleted as much as possible. I had recordings to protect from a few years ago (but not on KUID). When I returned Sunday, all was well, but my deleted recordings were down to about 100. It seemed like I page upped fewer times and noticed that was odd.

(Usually, I have 200-400 deleted recordings, and can page up about 20-25 times to the top.)

Yesterday, I went to undelete a program, and there were only TWO programs in my undelete file, and I sure didn't record 100 shows and had also done daily multiple deletes. It seems like many recordings have disappeared too.

So, I diligently removed more programs that I figure I won't watch, and got up to 67, I think. This morning, there are only 54 programs in my deleted file.

What could be happening? Where are my programs going? What should I do to stop this shrinking of my HD?

Any ideas or suggestions? Do you need more information from me? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I know you said your watch list was not KUID but what about your season passes?
If you have too many season passes set to KUID then this may contribute to your issue.
Also check your To Do List to see what is scheduled to be recorded; there may be a marathon upcoming that the TiVo is preparing for.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

Keep in mind, too, that losing 50+ items in your Recently Deleted folder doesn't mean 50+ new items were recorded, it's not a one-to-one thing. If the TiVo needs 2 hours of space, for example, it would have to remove four 30-minute recordings. And even that's not exact but you see what I'm getting at hopefully.

Do you have Suggestions turned on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
I know you said your watch list was not KUID but what about your season passes?
If you have too many season passes set to KUID then this may contribute to your issue.
Also check your To Do List to see what is scheduled to be recorded; there may be a marathon upcoming that the TiVo is preparing for.
The Tivo won't delete shows before the recordings are actually done. The issue you are describing relates to shows NOT recording or being scheduled to record.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
I have an HD3 TiVo 1350
???
Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
???
The OP is referring to a TiVo HD with 1350 hours of SD recording capacity.

|

Last edited by windracer : 07-31-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

One would think that someone that's been around here for over 10 years would know how to identify their Tivo when they are asking for help with it.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Good points and thanks for the ideas.

Just to follow-up, New Jersey, I don't have SPs in KUID but thanks for the thought. I have always had plenty of space. I usually have plenty in deleted shows, and, if I see they're going down to 200, I start deleting anything I'm not likely to watch.

Thanks WindRacer. Yes, I realize there are different length shows so if I delete one that is 2.5 hours, I have room for 2 one hour shows and one half hour show (and vice versa) <vbg>

I never use suggestions, so that doesn't explain it.

I haven't made ANY changes recently, thus my confusion. Last night I deleted many shows to try to build up my deleted file. And I deleted many 2-2.5 hour shows. My deleted count was 74 when I went to bed and 54 (again) when I awoke. Six 1-hour shows had been recorded in the interim.

Is there anything that TiVo could have done that would take up space? I guess I'm going to need to find a way to copy my SP list from TiVo.com, and maybe delete all and start from the beginning. I guess I'll hook up my other TiVo so I can MRV.

I'd love some input or other ideas to help me brainstorm, and I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

I just deleted a show I watched, and there was an ephemeral "video missing" that flashed before my eyes. Unreproducible. I have never, in ten years, seen that!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Did your TiVo HD get the new 11.0m release that's been slowly rolling out? I haven't gotten it yet on my S3 or THD and it's only supposed to fix the TiVoToGo/cookie problem from back in February but maybe there's some other change that was made with regards to how the box is managing Deleted Items?

And you're sure you're only recording the BHN analog channels? Not any of the digital or HD ones?

|
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Hmm. The software version is 11.ok-01-2-652. So I guess it IS the release whereof you speak? Am I the first whose TiVo memory has been eaten?

I don't do TiVoToGo. And it seems more like its affecting my recording space and delete space. Theres something creepy about this. In fact, My first thought was that TiVo wanted to limit space so people will buy Premiere <vbg>

Appreciate your input WR. Any suggestions from here?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
ggieseke

Have you done a cold boot by unplugging the power cord for about 30 seconds?

Have you tried running a Clear Program Information & To Do List? If there's something wrong with the guide data that should force it to rebuild.

The only other ideas that come to mind is that the hard drive is marking large chunks of space as unuseable or something in the operating system got corrupted. Maybe it tried to download the 11.0m update and something went wrong.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Having 1350 hrs and only recording SD has got to be very unusual, resulting in a huge number of video recordings. I wonder if the count is actually reaching a limit implicit in the TiVo operating system?

Just out of curiosity, is your GC date (third screen of System Information) a week or more back?

How was this box upgraded to 1 TB --- or is it a TiVo HD XL ? Actually please give your model number just to tie that down.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Hmm. The software version is 11.ok-01-2-652. So I guess it IS the release whereof you speak? Am I the first whose TiVo memory has been eaten?

I don't do TiVoToGo. And it seems more like its affecting my recording space and delete space. Theres something creepy about this. In fact, My first thought was that TiVo wanted to limit space so people will buy Premiere <vbg>

Appreciate your input WR. Any suggestions from here?
That's 11.0k, so you haven't been updated to 11.0m yet.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Yes, I have done a cold boot, but I haven't done the Clear Program and To Do list yet. I'm afraid of losing my SPs and can't figure how to copy my SP list from Tivo.com (any ideas?).

Sunday, I had 280 SD shows and 59 deleted. Some of those are 2 hour shows and some 1/2 hour shows.

Now I have 47 deleted--a far cry from the 400 plus I used to have. Further, My Tivo system says it has capacity to record 1241 SD hours. Curiouser and curiouser.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Have you done a cold boot by unplugging the power cord for about 30 seconds?

Have you tried running a Clear Program Information & To Do List? If there's something wrong with the guide data that should force it to rebuild.

The only other ideas that come to mind is that the hard drive is marking large chunks of space as unuseable or something in the operating system got corrupted. Maybe it tried to download the 11.0m update and something went wrong.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That's 11.0k, so you haven't been updated to 11.0m yet.
Ah, thanks.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I haven't done the Clear Program and To Do list yet. I'm afraid of losing my SPs and can't figure how to copy my SP list from Tivo.com (any ideas?).
Using the "Clear Program Info & To Do List" won't remove your SPs or Thumb ratings.

|
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

LOL. Yes, my TiVo is an HD3 and the reason we had Weaknees upgrade our purchase in 2009 was so we could record more. And that's why we record in analog and have done so with all our TiVos for the past 10+ years. There has never been a problem before last week.

The GC date is current. Tuesday, July 30.

The resounding disbelief sounds like y'all never had this problem and never resolved it!
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Having 1350 hrs and only recording SD has got to be very unusual, resulting in a huge number of video recordings. I wonder if the count is actually reaching a limit implicit in the TiVo operating system?

Just out of curiosity, is your GC date (third screen of System Information) a week or more back?

How was this box upgraded to 1 TB --- or is it a TiVo HD XL ? Actually please give your model number just to tie that down.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #19
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Using the "Clear Program Info & To Do List" won't remove your SPs or Thumb ratings.
That's good to know. But it will remove my to do list, and . . . will it just remove the guide or will it delete my programs?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #20
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Just checked my deleted file. It's down to 36. That means soon it will delete my recordings. I'm guessing I'm suddenly limited to 400 hours of SD instead of the 1241 I had for 4 years. I have to find out why. And why the system still says I have total recording space for 1241 SD hours.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
ggieseke

Quote:
Just checked my deleted file. It's down to 36. That means soon it will delete my recordings. I'm guessing I'm suddenly limited to 400 hours of SD instead of the 1241 I had for 4 years. I have to find out why. And why the system still says I have total recording space for 1241 SD hours.
It sounds like it lost the entire expansion somehow, but I've never heard of that happening before. If the partition table is intact but somehow the MFS superheader got set back to the default that might explain it (sort of like divorcing an external drive).

Are very many of your recordings copy protected? I'd get as much as possible downloaded to a computer ASAP.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #22
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
That's good to know. But it will remove my to do list, and . . . will it just remove the guide or will it delete my programs?
It won't delete any recordings (that's the Clear & Delete Everything, or C&DE).

If there is something going bad with your drive (looking at weaknees I'm guessing you have this one, which would be a single 1TB drive) maybe doing a kickstart 54 (drive diagnostics) would reveal if anything's going wrong. You can find the instructions to run the kickstart here and here.

Something else to try would be to use something like kmttg, which has a nice disk space utilization pie chart that might shed some light on the issue.

|
Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

2 things here

Items in the deleted recording tell Tivo it can delete them anytime. And sometimes it deletes items there for many reasons.

One is that you do go over the MFS Limit of shows, which in 11.0, was alot lower than todays modern software. Back then, drives weren't that big

Also, if Tivo determines to delete a show in the deleted area, it can delete the entire node a bunch of shows are on, to speed up the searches and since it was deleting anyway.

I would never assume shows in deleted folder would stay around. And I have seen things stay in there for years, and all of a sudden see 200 were deleted.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

TiVo has continued to prevent me from recording my usual 1241 (which should be 800-900 hour long SD shows plus or minus longer or shorter shows). As I mentioned before, for years, I've maintained about 2-400 deleted shows. Then suddenly, all my deleted shows were gone as were half the recorded shows I had on the disk.

I continue to be limited to, say, 300 hours of recording. Anything above that means the deleted shows are deleted permanently

I got nervous about the deletions, so we connected the 2DT in order to transfer some of the shows via MRV. Funnily enough, most of them had the big red circle on them. Some, however, were transferable. Most, not. Remember, I do NOT record in HD only in analog.

Got me wondering if the analog stations are actually recording in HD. So, I recorded Forgettable in Analog and HD. Funnily enough, the HD version used a few fewer Gs than did the Analog (each near 8Gs)! And I just checked--that is the one and only HD show recorded.

I just reviewed from my 2DT what it could transfer. Virtually nothing. AND July 16 seemed to be a cut-off date. I don't think I came across anything recorded after that date that is transferable. If all the BHN stations are now sending out (even the "cable" stations) in HD, that sure would use up my disk space faster.

So, what happened on July 16? Is this significant or does it sound like a simple coincidence?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
windracer
joined the 10k club

It's possible Brighthouse is simulcasting the digital versions of the channels on the analog channels. If you schedule a recording on channel 8, do you have the ability to select a recording quality? If not, the channel is actually digital, not analog.

That being said, digital recordings usually save space (as you saw with the space discrepancy between an analog and HD recording). That could also explain the copy-protect flag on all of your recordings (although the local channels should be transferable).

It might finally be time for you to start recording (and enjoying) HD-quality video.

edit: I'm not sure what I'm stating here is correct, by the way, with regards to simulcasting. But I'm positive someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

|
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #26
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Thanks WindRacer, I do appreciate the affirmation. Seems it mus be digital even though DSL reports doesn't see any changes. And no, I don't see a choice. And that's why it seemed strange for all my recordings (yeah, even local) to be flagged since 7/16.

I'd rather watch real HD, but it doesn't really matter to me. Not enough space on this TiVo, but I have lifetime, so I won't buy a new one!

BTW, my Old Dual Tuner manages to record in fewer Gigabytes! Hmmm.

Thanks. I think we're on the right track here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
It's possible Brighthouse is simulcasting the digital versions of the channels on the analog channels. If you schedule a recording on channel 8, do you have the ability to select a recording quality? If not, the channel is actually digital, not analog.

That being said, digital recordings usually save space (as you saw with the space discrepancy between an analog and HD recording). That could also explain the copy-protect flag on all of your recordings (although the local channels should be transferable).

It might finally be time for you to start recording (and enjoying) HD-quality video.

edit: I'm not sure what I'm stating here is correct, by the way, with regards to simulcasting. But I'm positive someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Covert Affairs recorded on my 2DT, and it used .75G whereas the identical program on my HDTiVo took up 4.79G. Why?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #28
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Covert Affairs recorded on my 2DT, and it used .75G whereas the identical program on my HDTiVo took up 4.79G. Why?
You probably recorded it in a lower quality (like Basic or Medium?) on the S2DT and it's in HD on the S3. Recorded off the same channel?

|
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Yup, both recorded from same channel, and both set to record at "basic" (I checked my "recording" settings on the HDTivo and it, too, is set at "basic" thus the estimate of the high number of "basic" recordings).

But, since it records at a lower quality on the other Tivo . . . I'm confused. Does this make sense to you? Help me see it WR!

M
Old 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
windracer
joined the 10k club

If it's 4gb on the S3, it's not recording in Basic. Was this an old Season Pass you had set up, or a one-time recording? If it was an old SP that you created when the channels were actually analog it would have the Quality setting but now (if) the channels are digital simulcast the TiVo would ignore that and just record the digital stream.

If I have a chance this weekend I can pull my S3 out of the closet and set it up and see what happens when I try to record the 1-99 channels compared to my Premiere.

|