TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
JohnB1000

Doctor Who "The Time of the Doctor" 12/25/13

Comparable to the Day of the Doctor for me. A great episode but not one of my favorites ever. I was really glad they had the real Amy at the end, would have seemed weird without her.

At one point I thought that Smith was just going to age into Capaldi without a regen. I don't think this resolves the Galifrey thing but I thought it might for a while. Smith looked like Gordon Ramsey as he aged then like William Hartnell for a while
Old 12-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Yeah it was just alright for me. Not one of the best eps. I'm always skeptical with a new regeneration but will give Peter Capaldi a fair chance.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
JohnB1000

I liked the few moments we saw of him.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Raisltin Majere
The 96 YNWA

It was good, not great. For me, Day of The Doctor was great.

I definitely got something in my eye when The Doctor was walking off to his death
Raisltin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I thought it was a fairly sizable letdown compared to Day of the Doctor. I mean, I expected some, but really, that was a pretty major step back from that. Really, that was a long bit of absolutely nothing going on. Baddies attack, they repel, attack, repel, Doctor regenerates. That's really the sum total of the plot. I could've gotten all of that from the previews.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
JohnB1000

It had to find the Christmas show balance and mostly failed because it was too 'inside' for the casual viewer.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The best thing about it is they seem to have cleared the decks of a lot of the stuff that's been going on for years, and more and more been dragging things down. They seem to be set for a nice clean slate with Capaldi.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

My only concern is how Jenna will factor in at this point. Sometimes it works surprisingly well when they keep a companion on during a Doctor regeneration - Billie Piper, for example, worked well with both Eccleston and Tennant. Here? I'm not as sure.

No knock on Jenna is implied by any means, but no matter what you think of Smith's Doctor, one of the true joys of the past few years was when you had some really good moments between him and Jenna. Her appearance in "The Snowmen" was absolutely cracking, for instance. I'm just not sure that the same chemistry will hold true with her and Capaldi.

I am telling myself that they must have considered that, had some sort of screen test with the two of them, and that it will work out just fine, but I remain unsure.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
JohnB1000

I was sure Clara was going to be Daleked at some point to tie that up also.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I thought it was just plain awful.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
cstelter

They made a big deal about how he would never forget one bit of himself. Then he apparently forgot how to fly the TARDIS. I wonder if they will (at least temporarily) allow the new set of regens to block his old memories completely.... I hope not.

My kids immediately noticed the change in music in the interestingly fast regen and thought it sounded to be a great new theme.

I think living for what 300? 600? 1000? years on Trenzalor will enable a more believable change in demeanor. I read he will likely be a bit more growly--- more like Hartnel or Collin Baker. Unlike with Baker, I could see him being a bit growly again and having to soften as the season progresses due to his past N years of fighting on Trenzalor.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
They made a big deal about how he would never forget one bit of himself. Then he apparently forgot how to fly the TARDIS. I wonder if they will (at least temporarily) allow the new set of regens to block his old memories completely.... I hope not.
He's always a bit loopy coming out of the regeneration. I see no reason to believe this is anything different.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought this ep was a bit of a letdown.

The first 300 years he was there aged him way too much
Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Azlen

The one thing that seemed off to me is at the end of Day of the Doctor he seemed to have a direction, finding Gallifrey. At the beginning of this episode, it didn't seem to be a concern at all. It was almost like, except for a passing reference, there was no link between the two episodes at all.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Shakhari

Any episode where the only way to move the plot forward is with expository narration is not a good episode.

Did I miss something about Clara's family? I thought her parents were dead.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Did I miss something about Clara's family? I thought her parents were dead.
Only her mother. I'd assume that the lady next to her dad was possibly a step-mom.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I assume the new Capaldi episodes start around March-April time frame?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
TiVaholic
Not 12 anymore

I may have forgotten something from Day of the Doctor, but where did the Cyberman head ("Handles") come from?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVaholic View Post
I may have forgotten something from Day of the Doctor, but where did the Cyberman head ("Handles") come from?
Something that happened off screen. We never got an explanation. Nor an explanation as to where the Doctor got the Dalek eyestalk he was carrying at the beginning either.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
secondclaw

Awful for the most part. Any time there is an alien planet called Christmas, I loose all suspension of disbelief. The changeover was great though, was never a big fan of Smith, so hopefully new guy will be better. And I really hope sure runners find a better use for Jenna. The actress is great, but the character doesn't really develop much.

I would say though that at least they did take care of The Silence. And I really liked Tasha Lem character, hope she will show up again.

Last edited by secondclaw : 12-26-2013 at 12:13 AM.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #21
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Something that happened off screen. We never got an explanation. Nor an explanation as to where the Doctor got the Dalek eyestalk he was carrying at the beginning either.
This was a problem for many episodes this past season. They start off in the middle of a story. I was confused for most of the beginning.

There really was no storytelling.

Much of the going somewhere and the mystery of the place being revealed has been lost lately.

I did like the new Doctor in the short time we saw him. Matt Smith I think overstayed his welcome, IMHO. Him and Clara did not have the same spark that they had in the Snowmen or the previous episode Clara was in (can't remember the name). The Day of the Doctor was great, but this episode just felt empty.

I liked Capaldi's expressions after he insta-regenerated.

So the timelords were able to open up a giant rift in the sky but couldn't come through? Isn't that what they wanted? HUH?????

NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #22
danterner
Not it!

Not to be a contrarian, but I actually rather liked and enjoyed the episode, start to finish. I felt like it tied up just about every loose end Moffat had left dangling from the start of Smith's run, and the deck is now properly cleared for Capaldi.

We got the return of the crack, the Silents, weeping angels, an Amy cameo, some Sontaran ridiculousness, daleks, cybermen, an explanation for the exploding TARDIS, an explanation for how to properly count the regenerations to date and a new set given to continue onward, the battle of Trenzalore, and more, all crammed into a Christmas wrapper. That's a pretty admirable feat and my hat's off to Moffat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
We got [...] an explanation for the exploding TARDIS
We got the who and the why; did we get the how?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Not to be a contrarian, but I actually rather liked and enjoyed the episode, start to finish. I felt like it tied up just about every loose end Moffat had left dangling from the start of Smith's run, and the deck is now properly cleared for Capaldi.

We got the return of the crack, the Silents, weeping angels, an Amy cameo, some Sontaran ridiculousness, daleks, cybermen, an explanation for the exploding TARDIS, an explanation for how to properly count the regenerations to date and a new set given to continue onward, the battle of Trenzalore, and more, all crammed into a Christmas wrapper. That's a pretty admirable feat and my hat's off to Moffat.
+1 I enjoyed it. I think people have some pretty lofty expectations
Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #25
morac
Cat God

I would call the episode slightly below average. There were just too many plotholes and poor writing for my liking. All in all, the bad outweighed the good, which is disappointing as Day Of the Doctor was very good.

The good:
1. Amy's "return" - it makes sense since this doctor and Amy were linked from the get go. She was the first person he saw after regenerating and she knew him her entire life.
2. An explanation for the Silence creatures, albeit one that doesn't make a lot of sense.
3. Tying most things from the 11th Doctor episodes, though there were a few major retcons.

The bad:
1. The Daleks' attack the Papal Mainframe and slaughter everyone, yet in the next scene the Papal Mainframe fighters are fighting the Daleks on the planet?
2. The Daleks might know the Time Lord rules for regeneration, but how could they know how many regenerations The Doctor had used? The whole Dalek speech about knowing the rule at the end was just silly.
3. The Doctor and the Time Lords didn't part on the best of terms when they last met (Rassilon was trying to kill the Doctor before being stopped by the Master), so it highly unlikely that the Time Lords would give up returning to the universe and gift the Doctor extra regenerations simply because Clara asked them to. The whole thing felt like a cop out just to get around the regeneration limit.
4. If the whole reason to not release the Time Lords was to prevent war, it seems like once the war started, the Doctor might as well release them. Actually they didn't really even need to be released. The Time Lords just wanted to confirm that the reality they were broadcasting to was the correct one before coming through the crack. With the Doctor living next to the crack all that time, you'd think the Time Lords would be able to confirm it was him without him having to say his name.

The ugly:
1. Regenerating apparently can now wipe out a Dalek mothership.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #26
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I assume the new Capaldi episodes start around March-April time frame?
I believe they don't start until fall.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #27
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

It was a mistake to watch the 50th show and this one back-to-back.

It felt like after writing the 50th, Moffatt just ran out of gas and was writing on fumes.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #28
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
It was a mistake to watch the 50th show and this one back-to-back.

It felt like after writing the 50th, Moffatt just ran out of gas and was writing on fumes.
I have re-watched The Day of the Doctor several times since it aired, including last night, and enjoyed it every time.

It was a tough act to follow. It would be spectacularly difficult to live up to the expectations it set. And it looks like it didn't even try.

It had it's moments. But otherwise kinda went over a cliff of Meh combined with trying to figure out why anyone was acting the way they were. Clara seemed like the only character there that made any sense...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
JohnB1000

I think the fact that I never think about 'the writing' when watching a TV show really makes it easier to enjoy them.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #30
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I think the fact that I never think about 'the writing' when watching a TV show really makes it easier to enjoy them.
Then why not reduce the experience to its essence? Just sit and stare at a blank screen, don't think about whether the "show" makes any sense at all, and just enjoy it!
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote