TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
CinciDVR

What does "Record New Only" mean?

I apologize if this has been covered before, and I'm sure it probably has, but try as I might, I couldn't find the right search terms to find previous discussions.

I'm brand new to using a Tivo and setup three different season passes last night and specified the record "New Only" option. Two of them, one for "The Daily Show" and another for "The Colbert Report" seem to act differently that the third one that was setup for "NCIS".

The "NCIS" SP seems to act as I would expect. It seems like it will only record a show if the "New" bit is set and "New" appears next to the title in the guide. I say this because I don't see anything in the "To Do List" for NCIS even though there is a rerun set to air on 6/3.

The other two SP's seem to treat new as if it means "new to this device". They are recording shows that do not display "New" next to the title in the guide, and do not appear to have the "New" bit set. The episodes that it is recording clearly have an "Aired date" in the past (e.g. 5/14/2014). But while it is recording episodes that are clearly not new, it is not recording repeats which are easily identified by the guests that are interviewed as well as the season and episode numbers.

So does the Tivo treat "New Only" differently depending on the type of show (e.g. drama versus talk show)?
CinciDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The setting actually uses the original air date and not that new bit. If the original air date is within the last two weeks then it's considered new. However there is also a history so it also wont record anything that it's recorded in the last 28 days.

If the original air date is missing then it errors on the side of caution and records it anyway just in case.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

It's a common part of the "out of box" experience with new Tivos.

It initially errs on the side of caution based on a couple factors, as Dan said. But after the first couple weeks Season Passes will start to work as you'd expect.

If the extra recordings are annoying in the meantime, you can go into the To Do List and cancel specific recordings you know you don't want. You'll see about 12 days worth of future recordings that you can tackle all at once. (Tip: To delete recordings faster, highlight the program and then hit Clear on the bottom-left of the remote).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
caughey

There is also another "feature" where shows that don't have updated guide data will be treated as new, even if they are many years old. This mostly happens with syndicated or cable reruns, and seems to have gotten better over the years

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517869
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's what I meant by the original air date missing
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
CinciDVR

Thanks. That makes complete sense to me. I also saw a couple "missing air date" episodes set to record, so you answered that question before I could ask it. The tip about using the clear button is a winner. Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
mattack

...and if it REALLY bugs you, google for the 'tupper method' to do a tricky autorecording wishlist that will exclude generic recordings. But then it'd be your fault if it really WAS a new one.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
rainwater

It is funny you cited The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Those two are one of the few shows that are notorious for missing guide data which causes repeats to be recorded even if you have New Only set in your season pass. As was suggested earlier, you can create an advanced wishlist to get those two shows to record correctly 99% of the time (the tupper method). However, most other season passes will generally follow the standard 28 days original air date rules.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Worf

I think the "new" bit has an effect as well - in Canada, some channels air shows that have been aired months before in the US, and my TiVo, set to "new only" catches them (the "new" bit is set, but the OAD is when it aired in the US, which can be months prior).

On some shows the lag is only a week, but other shows it's literally months (6 or more, even) before they air, and TiVo has reliably caught them for me as "new" despite having OADs months prior.

So there's probably some additional logic if the OAD is more than a couple of weeks over because otherwise it would be like my WMC box where "new only" is a useless option because the OAD is months before. It also means I have to copy the schedule from my TiVo to my WMC because my cable provider went all encrypted digital ensuring the only way to watch TV is use their crappy boxes. And even those my TiVo now can't record, it can certainly tell me when a "new to me" episode is airing.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It is funny you cited The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Those two are one of the few shows that are notorious for missing guide data which causes repeats to be recorded even if you have New Only set in your season pass. As was suggested earlier, you can create an advanced wishlist to get those two shows to record correctly 99% of the time (the tupper method). However, most other season passes will generally follow the standard 28 days original air date rules.
For many years I used a manual recording for those two because of this problem. But when my cable company finally added Comedy Central HD a few months ago I was too lazy to set up the manual recordings so I just set a SP instead. I have only gotten a few non-new recordings. Seems that for the most part the data is pretty good these days.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I think the "new" bit has an effect as well - in Canada, some channels air shows that have been aired months before in the US, and my TiVo, set to "new only" catches them (the "new" bit is set, but the OAD is when it aired in the US, which can be months prior).

On some shows the lag is only a week, but other shows it's literally months (6 or more, even) before they air, and TiVo has reliably caught them for me as "new" despite having OADs months prior.

So there's probably some additional logic if the OAD is more than a couple of weeks over because otherwise it would be like my WMC box where "new only" is a useless option because the OAD is months before. It also means I have to copy the schedule from my TiVo to my WMC because my cable provider went all encrypted digital ensuring the only way to watch TV is use their crappy boxes. And even those my TiVo now can't record, it can certainly tell me when a "new to me" episode is airing.
Wow I wish that was true for Brit shows aired here months later, they almost never have the 'new' bit set and Tivo will miss them because BBCA and others stupidly insist on using the UK air date as the US OAD. Completely different channel than it was originally shown on.

Wheeler Dealers is a prime offender (airing on Velocity), have to constantly keep an eye on that one to see when new ones air. There's no way I'm doing new and repeats for that SP, they show zillions of them all the time.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:

I suspect that there is something else at work, i.e. the "insufficient guide data to know for sure" problem.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
For many years I used a manual recording for those two because of this problem. But when my cable company finally added Comedy Central HD a few months ago I was too lazy to set up the manual recordings so I just set a SP instead. I have only gotten a few non-new recordings. Seems that for the most part the data is pretty good these days.
Yes, I see season and episode numbers on both of these shows now.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
lpwcomp

BTW, while it manifests itself more obviously on a TiVo during initial setup, it is not strictly speaking a "new" TiVo problem. It is a new season pass problem.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
tomhorsley

My problem wasn't with "new", my problem was that "everything" followed "all" in the list of options and I stopped looking when I got to "all" :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
poppagene
User

Quote:
How ironic. My Tivo missed the season 2 episode one of "Motive" because it had already aired in Canada.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The sad part is that Tivo and Tribune Media probably can't do anything about it, they get the OAD from the channels and the channel owners apparently don't give a rip (I'm sure it's been reported more than once given the constantly missed recordings because of it).
Old 05-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
How ironic. My Tivo missed the season 2 episode one of "Motive" because it had already aired in Canada.
I missed the entire season of The White Queen because the OAD was earlier then it actually aired here in the US. Same thing happened a few years ago with Diary of a Call Girl. Both shows are British I think.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Wow I wish that was true for Brit shows aired here months later, they almost never have the 'new' bit set and Tivo will miss them because BBCA and others stupidly insist on using the UK air date as the US OAD. Completely different channel than it was originally shown on.
Even though this bugs me too, unless there is also an original COUNTRY annotation in the guide data, I think it's technically correct to air the real, true, original air date.

Again, this has affected me too... But otherwise, people have to 'clean up' the data for every single country in which a show airs?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #20
Worf

Well, I'm fairly certain Tribune (Zap2It/TiVo Guide source) sets the "new" flag based on what the networks tell them. Networks like BBCA may not be very diligent in setting the flag.

Canadian versions of US networks like History, Discovery, etc., probably do set the new flag appropriately because they know it's the first time they're airing the episodes.

After all, I don't think Tribune themselves have the manpower to actually aggregate and research the episodes throughout the listings. So they're not setting the new flag, but relying on the source stations to .
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 AM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well, I'm fairly certain Tribune (Zap2It/TiVo Guide source) sets the "new" flag based on what the networks tell them. Networks like BBCA may not be very diligent in setting the flag.

Canadian versions of US networks like History, Discovery, etc., probably do set the new flag appropriately because they know it's the first time they're airing the episodes.

After all, I don't think Tribune themselves have the manpower to actually aggregate and research the episodes throughout the listings. So they're not setting the new flag, but relying on the source stations to .
The problem with using the "New flag" is that it only applies to the first showing of an episode.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #22
CinciDVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...and if it REALLY bugs you, google for the 'tupper method' to do a tricky autorecording wishlist that will exclude generic recordings. But then it'd be your fault if it really WAS a new one.
Thanks. Again the Tivo community has predicted my next question and answered it before I ask.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #23
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Even though this bugs me too, unless there is also an original COUNTRY annotation in the guide data, I think it's technically correct to air the real, true, original air date.

Again, this has affected me too... But otherwise, people have to 'clean up' the data for every single country in which a show airs?
No it's not correct. It is the channel provider's responsibility to provide the correct data to the guide service and they are not. The OAD should be the CHANNEL's OAD and not the show's, when the show originally aired in another country. I'm not following how this is a big deal for a channel provider to do, because they already have to provide guide data anyway for each country.

Last edited by slowbiscuit : 05-30-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #24
lpwcomp

Quote:
No it's not correct. It is the channel provider's responsibility to provide the correct data to the guide service and they are not. The OAD should be the CHANNEL's OAD and not the show's, when the show originally aired in another country.
Nonsense.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #25
tomhorsley

Quote:
The sad part is that Tivo and Tribune Media probably can't do anything about it, they get the OAD from the channels and the channel owners apparently don't give a rip (I'm sure it's been reported more than once given the constantly missed recordings because of it).
This is why we need the TiVo social network where fanatics who care about particular series can input the correct guide data (much like imdb gets correct data eventually :-).

I think it would be very useful for me to be able to explicitly tell my TiVo things like - Hey! There really is a new episode of Xyzzy coming on next week, treat it as new please.

Then the TiVo could send that back to the mothership, and if enough people reported the same change, it could correct the guide data.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #26
lpwcomp

You want the OAD to be something other than what it is - the Original Air Date.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You want the OAD to be something other than what it is - the Original Air Date.
I completely agree with this.

There are times when I want to know when something was made, and there are times when it would be nice to know it hasn't appeared in this particular location. But you (generic you, not lgwcomp) don't start changing correct information about a show to be incorrect, just because you want to use it for some other purpose than it was intended.

If you want this to be more accurate for recording purposes, I think you're going to have to persuade the content suppliers to add another field to their shows. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #28
Jonathan_S

Quote:
No it's not correct. It is the channel provider's responsibility to provide the correct data to the guide service and they are not. The OAD should be the CHANNEL's OAD and not the show's, when the show originally aired in another country. I'm not following how this is a big deal for a channel provider to do, because they already have to provide guide data anyway for each country.
As long as that only applies to the first channel to import the show.

I definitely don't want every channel that syndicates a US network show to reset to OADs to that new channel's first air date for each episode.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #29
lpwcomp

TMS has a database. One of the fields in the that database is "First Aired". They do not have separate entries for each channel or country.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Well, there's your problem.