TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
whiteshaft

Exclamation Time Warner Cable in L.A. -- what shows can you stream outside home?

Hey Roamio owners with TWC in Los Angeles:

What shows has TWC copy-protected/flagged against streaming outside your home? I was about to pull the trigger on a PLUS model, but I then I remembered how many shows were copy-protected against being transferred to my Mac on my old TivoHD -- pretty much ALL of them. Is it even worth it getting the built-in Stream if you can't watch anything outside your own house??

TIA,

WS
whiteshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

I'm not in LA, but Time Warner Cable generally copy protects everything except for the local broadcast channels.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
moyekj

Yes with TWC don't bother unless most of what you record is from local channels. Slingbox is a better option for your case most likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes with TWC don't bother unless most of what you record is from local channels. Slingbox is a better option for your case most likely.
And if you go the Slingbox route and want HD video, you'll still need a Plus anyway for its Component outputs, since the HDMI output connected to a Slingbox will respect the copyright flags.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
And if you go the Slingbox route and want HD video, you'll still need a Plus anyway for its Component outputs, since the HDMI output connected to a Slingbox will respect the copyright flags.
Or use a Mini with the Slingbox instead of the Pro/Plus. And just use the component dongle and stereo audio dongle.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or use a Mini with the Slingbox instead of the Pro/Plus. And just use the component dongle and stereo audio dongle.
Assuming he actually needs a Mini. If he has no use at all for a Mini other than the component output, he'd be better off getting the Plus. A Mini w/lifetime retails for $250 but the difference in full retail between the base model and the Plus is only $200.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
whiteshaft

Yeah, no use for a Mini here. My wife doesn't care about TiVo access on our old TV in the bedroom, just the main one in the living room. I think I'll still get the Plus so I can stream to my iPad all over the house; I'll do some tests to see what channels work OOH but since I also have the HBOGO and Showtime apps I think I'll have access to most of the stuff I want to see anyway. It's just annoying if you're on a business trip and you want to watch something you recorded at home off AMC or FX and it won't stream...
Old 06-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
Yeah, no use for a Mini here. My wife doesn't care about TiVo access on our old TV in the bedroom, just the main one in the living room. I think I'll still get the Plus so I can stream to my iPad all over the house; I'll do some tests to see what channels work OOH but since I also have the HBOGO and Showtime apps I think I'll have access to most of the stuff I want to see anyway. It's just annoying if you're on a business trip and you want to watch something you recorded at home off AMC or FX and it won't stream...
There is also the TWC TV app:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv...es/twc-tv.html

It allows you to stream on-demand content and live TV channels to various mobile devices, Roku, and Samsung Smart TVs.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It allows you to stream on-demand content and live TV channels to various mobile devices, Roku, and Samsung Smart TVs.
But that's only for streaming within your home right? The Cox app has that limitation at least.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
But that's only for streaming within your home right? The Cox app has that limitation at least.
Yeah you might be right. I've never tried using it for OOH streaming.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
whiteshaft

Note

FIELD REPORT:

I recorded two shows on my Roamio Plus last night -- "Daily Show" and "Catfish". Both those channels (CC and MTV) appear copy-protected so I could not copy them to my iPad for offline viewing. I could watch them within the home (though they kept buffering and stuttering). Today I took my iPad to the office and tried to watch them OOH, got this message:
Away From Home Network
While you're away from your home network, some options are not available. To access all options, connect to the same Wi-Fi network as your TiVo DVR.
While this doesn't specifically say it's copy-protected, I wonder if that's what's happening. I need to confirm that I've set up OOH streaming when I get back home.