TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
jyung

Cablecard issues

Hi, some issues with my TiVo series 3 (two s-stream cable cards, OLED front screen). I have comcast service in the bay area.

One of my cablecards (card 1) seems to have lost it's ability to pair, and receives no channels. When I try to watch a channel, it doesn't even bother showing the 'no signal found message' (paraphrased), just a black screen. Under cable card pairing, the CableCARD(tm), Host, and Data fields are all zeros. The TiVo still trys to record shows on this tuner.

The other cablecard/tuner (card 2) is fine. The three fields I mentioned above are all populated, and I can watch all my channels with no issues.

Initially I was thinking that somehow the cablecard went bad, but after more reading, I am a little concerned that the Host field is all zeros for the first card. This should come from the TiVo? Is it safe to swap cablecards to see if the host field gets populated?

Hoping for some suggestions as to how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help.
jyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

If you swap cards in the slots both of them will end up un-paired.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
jyung

Thanks for answering jay_man2. Would I just be able to swap them back with no harm done? Or will that require a phone call to comcast to do a re-pairing?

I was just hoping to swap for diagnostic purposes to see if one cablecard is bad, or the maybe the tuner on the TiVo is going bad.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyung View Post
Thanks for answering jay_man2. Would I just be able to swap them back with no harm done? Or will that require a phone call to comcast to do a re-pairing?

I was just hoping to swap for diagnostic purposes to see if one cablecard is bad, or the maybe the tuner on the TiVo is going bad.
I don't see how you get any diagnostic result if swapping them causes both of them to be un-paired.

Things to try:
Power cycle the Tivo.
While the TiVo is powered down, re-seat the CC's.
Call Comcast support and have them "hit" your account.
Ask Comcast for a replacement CC.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyung View Post
Hi, some issues with my TiVo series 3 (two s-stream cable cards, OLED front screen). I have comcast service in the bay area.

One of my cablecards (card 1) seems to have lost it's ability to pair, and receives no channels. When I try to watch a channel, it doesn't even bother showing the 'no signal found message' (paraphrased), just a black screen. Under cable card pairing, the CableCARD(tm), Host, and Data fields are all zeros. The TiVo still trys to record shows on this tuner.

The other cablecard/tuner (card 2) is fine. The three fields I mentioned above are all populated, and I can watch all my channels with no issues.

Initially I was thinking that somehow the cablecard went bad, but after more reading, I am a little concerned that the Host field is all zeros for the first card. This should come from the TiVo? Is it safe to swap cablecards to see if the host field gets populated?

Hoping for some suggestions as to how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Have you considered the possibility that your problems are actually due to the power supply problems for which Series 2 and 3 TiVos have become infamous?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
jyung

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you considered the possibility that your problems are actually due to the power supply problems for which Series 2 and 3 TiVos have become infamous?
Thanks for your input unitron. I have in fact recently replaced the caps on the power supply as per post 9131293 on this forum (not enough posts to put up a link, sorry).

What I was really wondering is whether I can diagnose if my cablecard is bad, or just needs re-pairing via a 'hit' on my cablecard/account from comcast. Does anyone have experience with (or comments about) the cablecard, host and data fields all being zero?

Currently I have left the one cablecard unplugged and am now working in single tuner mode until I have the opportunity to call my provider for a 'hit' as dlfl suggested.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
buscuitboy

I have a similar problem with a Series 3 (OLED). I can get ALL my channels through cable card 2 and can almost get all of them on cable card 1, but for some reason, the HBO channels will not come through on cable card #1. I keep getting the diagnostic screen when trying to watch HBO on this tuner. I can watch HBO channels fine if I am on the cable card #2 tuner.

I have contacted Comcast numerous times about this and even had two tech visits, but they can never seem to be able to fully fix the problem. The last tech I talked to on the phone suggested I need to swap out the cable card & I might at some point, but since this isn't my main DVR & is now simply in a spare bedroom, I have decided to just leave it be for now. Plus, I can't transfer HBO shows from this S3 to my Premieres anyway since Comcast flags them.

I also had a issue with a Premiere not tuning in all channels as well. Was getting random V53 errors. Now, I did actually swap the cable card with another one for this unit and all has worked fine so maybe it does require getting a new one when something like this happens. Just a thought.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 06-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote