Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Orphan Black 6/1/13 "Endless Forms Most Beautiful"

Only ten more months!

So does the death of Psycho Clone and Soccer Clone embracing her psycho side mean that we have a new Psycho Clone? Psycho Clone is dead, long live Psycho Clone?

And I guess Mrs. S. was one of the scientists in charge of the original experiment? Clearly, my theory that Mystery Maslany from last week was the original from which the clones were cloned is wrong...unless make-up did a horrible job at making her look older, which would be uncharacteristic. So she's, what, Insider Clone?

It's interesting how ambiguous many of the characters are...not good, not evil, just...complicated. And I love love LOVE how this show lets its characters figure stuff out, instead of everybody just being a bunch of morons who never think to ask questions. They got deeper into things in ten episodes than Lost did in two seasons...and I loved the first two seasons of Lost.

It's gonna be a long ten months...

Oh, and I was specifically watching the camera work when there were multiple Maslanys on-screen. Awesome! There were times when three of them were interacting, and the CAMERA WAS MOVING! And it all looked perfectly natural! We've come a long time from the days when "twin" effects were done by keeping each character on one side of the screen with the camera locked into position.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Insider clone got named "proclone" I liked it..
and we also have Cosima dying (noooo...she's a fav)

By far this has been one of the biggest surprise winner shows in my book in a long time, it just gets so much right that other shows get wrong, as with your Lost example
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Great episode. Great season. One of the best first seasons any series has had lately. And yeah, ten more months.

And we have a new clone, PROCLONE!

And Mrs. S. “isn’t what she says she is.”

Nice review here...
http://www.avclub.com/articles/endle...autiful,98081/

edit: or what dianebrat said better, quicker.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
john4200

That stupid revelation made this the worst episode of the season.

"They patented our genetic material and put a 'property of' code in our DNA, oh no! Now they own us and our children!"

Come on, I thought Cosima was supposed to be smart. Oh, and she is coughing up blood like the German, aha, let's keep that a secret from the other clones! That's the obvious thing to do!

It seemed like Sarah and Alison's intelligence went down the drain, too. First, Alison even states that the contract is absurd since everything they have done is illegal, then she promptly forgets about that and signs the damn thing anyway, as if the contract means anything or could actually be enforced. Then Sarah goes to meet psycho clone, alone, even though Sarah knows she is a psychotic killer, and then when she finds yet more proof (dying woman Helena stabbed), instead of pulling her gun immediately and shooting her, Sarah lets her have a chance to beat her up and kill her before she finally draws the gun and shoots her. Then Sarah sends an FU message to Proclone before she even makes sure that Kira is safe, even though Sarah now knows that Mrs. S is not who she has claimed to be. Is stupidity sequenced into the clones' DNA?

The whole nosy neighbor suspected monitor is moving out and gets strangled by a scarf in the garbage disposal subplot was absurd. Couldn't the writers have come up with a better way to keep Alison from finding out that her husband is her monitor? Or better yet, let her find out and dispense with the ridiculous stuff. After all, now that Mrs. S is known to be a liar, and Cosima found out that Leeky is a liar, it should not take long to deduce who Alison's monitor really is.

So disappointing. After nine good episodes, they have to go and ruin the entire season with all this foolishness.

Last edited by john4200 : 06-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
That stupid revelation made this the worst episode of the season.

"They patented our genetic material and put a 'property of' code in our DNA, oh no! Now they own us and our children!"
While I don't think I disliked the episode as much as you did, I agree that 'Oh no, they have a patent on us. We'll never be free' was really weak.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
robojerk

The patent stuff is technically true, if you follow the Monsanto stuff in real life.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
The patent stuff is technically true, if you follow the Monsanto stuff in real life.
What, exactly, do you think is true?

You do know that there is no legal basis for owning people (even in Canada), right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cloning#Canada

Quote:
Canadian law prohibits the following: cloning humans, cloning stem cells, growing human embryos for research purposes, sex selection, and buying or selling of embryos, sperm, eggs or other human reproductive material. It also bans making changes to human DNA that would pass from one generation to the next, including use of animal DNA in humans.

Last edited by john4200 : 06-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Beryl

I enjoyed every moment of this season -- even parts that saddened me. I don't want "Ivory Tower" to die so I hope they figure something out. I was ready for Psycho-clone to go though. Soccer/Psychomom was hilarious and I understood why she signed the contract. She loves her family and is a tad gullible.

Now this did bug me:
Quote:
Then Sarah sends an FU message to Proclone before she even makes sure that Kira is safe, even though Sarah now knows that Mrs. S is not who she has claimed to be.
This is as stupid as the characters who tell bad guys holding a gun on them, "I know what you did and I'm going to tell." I expected better from Sarah.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
philw1776

Sarah the character has always had problems with impulse control so texting the clone witch was in character.

Cosima just found out that she's "sick" so it's not unexpected that she needed a few hours to process the emotions before fessing up to Frenchie.

And yes their reaction to the patent copyright revelation in their DNA sequence should have just been, "Bite me!"
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

All they had was a picture of Mrs S from decades ago. Sure she could have had something to do with it at one time but it doesn't necessarily mean that she is working against Sarah. Kind of hard to raise someone and their child without getting attached to them. At least for someone that has emotions.

And even more so because they made it look like Mrs. S did something, my guess is things will not look like they made it appear. At least that is typical with TV shows.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
All they had was a picture of Mrs S from decades ago. Sure she could have had something to do with it at one time but it doesn't necessarily mean that she is working against Sarah.
What we know for certain is that Mrs. S lied to Sarah for her entire life. Even worse, she continued to lie to Sarah once Sarah revealed her knowledge of being a clone. I don't actually think Mrs. S helped to kidnap Kira, but even so, if I were Kira's mother, the second I found out about S's lies, I would have made a beeline there and taken Kira out of there ASAP, no stop offs to sign a contract with Proclone or send her a nasty email. Getting Kira is priority one.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
john4200

The cops were also particularly dumb this episode.

Sarah gets taken out of their custody and released for no good reason. The obvious thing to do would be to investigate the bribes or blackmail that occurred, and the source of that, to cause Sarah to be released. Instead, they go looking for Sarah's ex-boyfriend? Really?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Azlen

Quote:
The cops were also particularly dumb this episode.
Sarah gets taken out of their custody and released for no good reason. The obvious thing to do would be to investigate the bribes or blackmail that occurred, and the source of that, to cause Sarah to be released. Instead, they go looking for Sarah's ex-boyfriend? Really?
I don't see that as problematic. Investigating the powerful is full of obstacles and can be very career damaging. Investigating the people her life to get a better idea of what is going on is a logical step to take.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
All they had was a picture of Mrs S from decades ago. Sure she could have had something to do with it at one time but it doesn't necessarily mean that she is working against Sarah. Kind of hard to raise someone and their child without getting attached to them. At least for someone that has emotions.

And even more so because they made it look like Mrs. S did something, my guess is things will not look like they made it appear. At least that is typical with TV shows.
Yah, I see the pic as possibly a a red herring that they'll later explain away. Mrs S could have scrammed with the daughter as she'd previously indicated to Sarah that she would do so were the child to be endangered. Maybe next season they'll find an old pic of Mrs S singing with a soul band or something.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Maybe next season they'll find an old pic of Mrs S singing with a soul band or something.
I'm not sure why people are dismissing this so lightly. Sarah's surrogate mother knew there was something fishy about Mrs. S, she waited to tell Sarah in private, she had a picture to help prove it, Mrs. S actually saw the picture and knew that Amelia was going to tell Sarah something about S's past, and instead of coming clean to Sarah, S. just warned Sarah to be suspicious of Amelia.

That is the behavior of someone who is covering up something from their past that they feel guilty about. It is not something small, otherwise Mrs. S would have told Sarah about it herself. It is likely something that Mrs. S feels guilty about and has since tried to make up for, but whatever it is, it must be serious. Add that to the fact that Mrs. S "ran" with Sarah straight to a city that had several other clones in it, as well as Neolution offices and people. Mrs. S certainly has some dark secret and cannot be trusted, at least until she comes up with a very good explanation. She is much too good a liar to fully trust even then. Compare her to Alison's husband.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
philw1776

Perhaps so but until VERY recently there were serious trust issues between the show's opening self-absorbed rebellious slacker Sarah and Mrs S. Remember that Sarah was not forthcoming to Mrs S about her clone aspect, even after their relationship improved. Sarah is a good liar too. These characters are complexly written and portrayed to the show's credit. Few if any one dimensional types so common on network TV.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
cheesesteak
Meh.

Poor Aynsley. Allison be crazy.

Is there some meaning behind the word "proclone" that I'm not getting?

I didn't dislike the episode but there were some things that didn't make sense like Krazy Klone being able to impersonate Sarah and how/why she carried Clone Mama so far. And Sarah, piss off Proclone after you get your daughter out of harm's way.

I kept yelling in my head "Get to the point! Hurry up! Get to the point, you silly woman!" when Sarah began to confess to Art. I knew, I just knew that she was going to be interrupted before she spilled the clone beans because that's the way tv works but she should have told Art.

We all knew there was something shady about Mrs. S. Then we found out that there wasn't anything shady about Mrs. S. Now we know there really is something shady about Mrs. S. Well, until next season's curve balls.

Hot Clone better not die or one of the other ones had better start wearing braids and glasses. For some reason, she's sexier to me than the other clones.

I still don't get why Kira's face is still bruised up if her body healed so fast.

How old are these clones supposed to be? Are they different ages?

Tatiana Maslany deserves an Emmy nomination at the very least.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Hot Clone better not die or one of the other ones had better start wearing braids and glasses. For some reason, she's sexier to me than the other clones.
Watching suburban clone working out was hot, almost worthy to forget she's cray cray.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
stellie93

I don't remember--why did soccer mom decide her husband was innocent in the first place? Just because she met him years back? And Felix said so?

It seemed out of character for her to let the girl die, even if she was a monitor. We never really saw it, but there was supposed to be a huge bond between them, and she knows that Sarah's monitor was blackmailed into doing it, and came to care for Sarah. After all, she was just an average soccer mom a few weeks ago.

Were the patent rights supposed to be on the girls themselves, or just the cloning process? That makes no sense.

Can't wait for next season.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
How old are these clones supposed to be? Are they different ages?
According to their IDs, they're all within a few days of each other...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
We never really saw it, but there was supposed to be a huge bond between them, and she knows that Sarah's monitor was blackmailed into doing it, and came to care for Sarah.
I assume you mean Beth's monitor, who came to care for Sarah? Sarah never had a monitor, as far as we know, did she? Except maybe Mrs S, depending on whether she really did run away with Sarah and Felix or whether that was sanctioned...it kinda seems to me that she really did run away, and that she only lied about how much she knew, and that Sarah was off the clone-people's radar until she resurfaced as Beth.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Azlen

Quote:
Were the patent rights supposed to be on the girls themselves, or just the cloning process? That makes no sense.
If human cloning were legalized, you could probably patent the process but there is no way you could claim ownership of a person that resulted from that process even if you did put a tag that says "This clones belongs to..." in their DNA.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
If human cloning were legalized, you could probably patent the process but there is no way you could claim ownership of a person that resulted from that process even if you did put a tag that says "This clones belongs to..." in their DNA.
Yes, and we actually don't know what CloneCorp is laying claim to...only what Cosima assumes they're laying claim to. So either Cosima or the writers are terribly wrong.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
philw1776

Slavery, Release 2.0 for the 21st century?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I assume you mean Beth's monitor, who came to care for Sarah?
Duh, right. The guy who was blackmailed because of the friendly fire incident. At least, she has seen monitors as less than evil ogres who deserve to be strangled by their sink. Although, what her "husband" has done to her is the worst of the lot since they've been together so long. Unless Mrs. S is one. And her husband may care for her and be protecting her from someone new coming in. We don't really know much about him.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Sarah is a good liar too. These characters are complexly written and portrayed to the show's credit. Few if any one dimensional types so common on network TV.
No argument from me. My point was not Sarah=good / Mrs. S = bad. Rather, my point was that Mrs. S has some dark secret, and it is not a minor thing. She should not be trusted unless a very good explanation is forthcoming.

It is amazing how good most of the Neolution people (and associates) are at lying. All three clones had someone who was very important in their life (in two cases, arguably the most important person in their life) lie to them about their association with Neolution, and in the case of Alison and Cosima, even when they had good reason to distrust that person, the clones still fell for the lies. I guess we could add Beth to the list, too, although it is not clear how much she knew about her monitor.

Last edited by john4200 : 06-02-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes, and we actually don't know what CloneCorp is laying claim to...
Actually, we do know what CloneCorp claims:

Quote:
This organism and derivative genetic material is restricted intellectual property
They make the outrageous claim that "this organism" is property. If the organism is a mouse, that may be reasonable, but "this organism" is a human being. I suppose you could argue that it was just boilerplate text that they use in all their lab animal experiments and mistakenly copied to the human clones, but really, it hardly seems likely that they would make a mistake like that. Of course, it is such an outrageous claim it is hard to credit it as serious either. That problem is largely responsible for why this episode was so bad.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
john4200

Quote:
Is there some meaning behind the word "proclone" that I'm not getting?
I don't know. She is a professional woman (and looks like it) and a clone, hence Proclone. Also, you might say that she is pro cloning (rather than anti cloning) since she works for an organization that clones people. If there is any more meaning than that, I don't see it.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I don't remember--why did soccer mom decide her husband was innocent in the first place? Just because she met him years back? And Felix said so?

It seemed out of character for her to let the girl die, even if she was a monitor. We never really saw it, but there was supposed to be a huge bond between them, and she knows that Sarah's monitor was blackmailed into doing it, and came to care for Sarah. After all, she was just an average soccer mom a few weeks ago.

Can't wait for next season.
It looked like she was indecisive. Like she wanted to force her to tell her she was the monitor. But it took her so long to decide that it didn't matter any more because she had expired.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #29
robojerk

Quote:
IIRC, I think she met him in high school or something.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

This is another show that makes it evident that a season of 10 or 12 episodes is much better than a 22 episode season. All of the creative energy goes toward moving the plot forward instead of mostly meaningless stand alone, monster of the week episodes.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote