TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
brianric

Big Brother Debuts in HD With Special Two-Night Premiere

In addition to Big Brother being in HD, Big Brother After Dark will also be in HD.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/news/1002621/

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Silverman

Well not as good news as expected--it's still on terrible TVGN, so will be totally censored and most of the picture covered up with ads for shows. If that feed is HD it won't matter because don't cable companies all show it in SD? It's just a guide channel.

They own Showtime and won't use it, why? The whole show would better be on Showtime, with a summary show on CBS and TVGN to get interest. They would get such a big audience if they would show everything, where are their brains using TVGN? Did they get even one positive review for that last year?

EDIT: Checked my AT&T cable, hell they don't even have TVGN at all. That will sure raise viewership of BB, huh? Don't most cables do their own guide?

Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Alfer

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518151

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Silverman

Well that thread was the original HD announcement, this is follow up news. When we get the cast info I bet it will be another thread too.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

TVGN is in SD on DirecTV. Why on TVGN? It's basic cable, so there could be a vastly bigger audience, and they can generate ad revenue (to offset the increase production costs for HD?). I don't believe TVGN is a guide channel any longer.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
jjd_87

Suddenlink dropped TVGN last year right before after dark started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Silverman

It's not a guide channel? I can't go look as no one carries it here in Nashville, I don't see it on Xfinity list so far either from relative. Something like BBAD needs to be on a non-censored channel and CBS owns those, a whole bunch called Showtime. If it is not a guide channel I can't believe they would not change the name. Can someone with it tell us what is on it?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Cablevision doesn't even have TVGN

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
It's not a guide channel? I can't go look as no one carries it here in Nashville, I don't see it on Xfinity list so far either from relative. Something like BBAD needs to be on a non-censored channel and CBS owns those, a whole bunch called Showtime. If it is not a guide channel I can't believe they would not change the name. Can someone with it tell us what is on it?
They actually did change the name. It used to be TV Guide channel, but now it's TVGN. Did MTV change their name when they went away from being Music TV? Nope.

While I agree that AD is better on Showtime by design, I don't want to pay for Showtime just for that, so, for me, it's better on TVGN, because, well I could watch it. That said, it's pretty boring either if you ask me. When it was on Showtime, all it was, was the same boring conversations only with every other word starting with F. Who cares?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Silverman

Well believe me there was a great BBAD about 2009(?), there was so much going on and to see, nudity most every night. Yes later ones have been dull but it is all in who is in the cast, so we will see. So what is on TVGN as far as programs now....and to the guy who said it was good to be on a basic cable, hey it already is--it is called CBS. What is needed is uncensored place to go that brings in more folks to watch the show on CBS. I don't mean F-words, I mean nudity and adult conversations, affairs, showmances, etc. For instance just a game of strip poker would be interesting on Showtime, but not on TVGN. Would make great challenges too that would draw far more folks if on a cable channel. You can have some of this on a basic if it is at night, the Independent Film Channel I have seen such on, and it is basic cable.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Well believe me there was a great BBAD about 2009(?), there was so much going on and to see, nudity most every night. Yes later ones have been dull but it is all in who is in the cast, so we will see. So what is on TVGN as far as programs now....and to the guy who said it was good to be on a basic cable, hey it already is--it is called CBS. What is needed is uncensored place to go that brings in more folks to watch the show on CBS. I don't mean F-words, I mean nudity and adult conversations, affairs, showmances, etc. For instance just a game of strip poker would be interesting on Showtime, but not on TVGN. Would make great challenges too that would draw far more folks if on a cable channel. You can have some of this on a basic if it is at night, the Independent Film Channel I have seen such on, and it is basic cable.
TVGN has the usual fare of old series and reality stuff. They also repeat TAR and Survivor episodes.

So you go back to 2009 to having a great AD? That's 5 years ago!!. I think these days the house guests know they are on camera live during that time, so they watch what they say (as far as strategy goes) and there is less nudity. The few times I've watched it it's mostly stuff not related to the show where every other word is the F bomb. I'm not a prude when it comes to language, but really, I do wonder if these people can actually speak without cursing. Now the live stream is completely different.

In your case, I'll bet you want to see some nudity. That's why this bothers you.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Silverman

OK, well sounds like TVGN is just TVLand again, and nothing exciting will ever be shown then. Looks like only satellite even has it, and in SD. Wow, that will pack in the viewers I bet. I am not against seeing old TV shows, but that is sure the wrong place for a live BBAD.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
bikegeek

Quote:
That had the be the season with Natalie and the mad parties. They seemed to have lowered the amount of alcohol provided to the house guests since then. BBAD since then has been a waste of time.

bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Silverman

AGREED X 1000. Yes it was that wonderful season. Hey I just read that BB press release above closely and they say right on the CBS release that BBAD is on "TVGN (TV Guide Network)". So looks like the name is not changed, I mean they own it and ought know. Crazy to call it a guide if it just is old reruns and not a guide.....WTF? Does it have guide data just certain hours or something?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek View Post
That had the be the season with Natalie and the mad parties. They seemed to have lowered the amount of alcohol provided to the house guests since then. BBAD since then has been a waste of time.
Yeah you really can't get drunk anymore in BB unless other houseguests don't want their beer/wine and you drink their portions. CBS just wants everyone just buzzed enough to talk and thats it.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #16
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Yeah you really can't get drunk anymore in BB unless other houseguests don't want their beer/wine and you drink their portions. CBS just wants everyone just buzzed enough to talk and thats it.
That explains why the whole "who drank the wine?" situation was such a big deal last year. I wondered why they were arguing about it so much.

jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Silverman

I did additional reading online, looks like what they do is let the local cable superimpose the grid data at bottom of screen, if they want to. That's on the SD channel. Supposedly 60 percent carry this SD and we know Direct TV does.

Apparently the owners are trying to add an HD outlet (a new channel) now that is a whole different thing and no one is buying looks like. I guess the plan will be to rename that and not the SD one. That brings up the question will BBAD even be visible on the SD TVGN this year?

The Wiki article mentions the supposed name change but remember Wiki is not always accurate. If press releases by the owner still call it the old name, then the name didn't change. Maybe the plan was to use both names, TVGN for the HD, TV Guide Network for the SD, but just my guess. But the grid being added locally explains a lot.

Bottom line would seem to be no one is going to watch BBAD in HD this year. Maybe not at all.

Look at web site tvgn.tv, there is nothing about BBAD on it but shows in July are listed, and it is still called by the old name. No mention of the HD channel I can find there or BBAD. Not good for those wanting to see BBAD, even SD.

Last edited by Silverman; 06-13-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
The Spud
Rather be cruising

Comcast in my area has TVGN in HD.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Charter in my area has TVGN in HD as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
andrewc2

It's better honestly to just pay the $23 for the live feeds, the content is no different and the only censoring is when CBS takes the whole feeds down for competitions.

I didn't bother with BBAD when it was on showtime for that reason, the feeds were cheaper than $10/month til the season was over. Now we don't get TVGN so still doesn't matter.

andrewc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
AGREED X 1000. Yes it was that wonderful season. Hey I just read that BB press release above closely and they say right on the CBS release that BBAD is on "TVGN (TV Guide Network)". So looks like the name is not changed, I mean they own it and ought know. Crazy to call it a guide if it just is old reruns and not a guide.....WTF? Does it have guide data just certain hours or something?
Again, TVGN is about as "TV Guide" as MTV is "Music Television". Much like about a dozen other cable channels that over the years have dropped their full name and go with initials to de-emphasize their original purpose. AMC is no longer "American Movie Channel" where they used to show old movies from the 1930s and 1940s uncut and without commercials. Should they have changed their name? I could name a bunch more. Don't get hung up on the Guide aspect, that's been gone for years.

Again, CBS' goal is to make money. They can sell ads for AD and perhaps the viewership on Sho2 was pretty bad. (or maybe really good and they figure they can get more eyeballs on basic cable). You don't like it? Sub to the live stream and you can see all the nudity and hear all the cursing you want.