TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #61
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm talking about in home. Downloads aren't very convenient for in home because you have to wait for enough to download to skip commercials. I'd much rather them just look at their old code and figure out what they broke.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #62
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm talking about in home. Downloads aren't very convenient for in home because you have to wait for enough to download to skip commercials. I'd much rather them just look at their old code and figure out what they broke.
In home download speeds have improved quite significantly lately as posted in my More detailed HLS statistics thread. Highest quality download of a 1 hour HD show took ~ 22 minutes in my test. This means you can start a download and start watching it after a minute or so and be able to skip all commercials without being interrupted. Not only does this avoid the "freeze" issue, but the trick play functionality has no lag at all compared to streaming mode, so it's a better experience overall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #63
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well it's good they improved speeds. I remember running a test right after OOH was released and in home speeds dropped significantly. Sounds like they got them back to where they were.

For me the freeze usually happens after I fall asleep so my only complaint is that it keeps my iPad awake. I've got into the habit of using the clock app with a "stop playing" time to get around that. But occasionally I forget. And even when I don't I can tell if it froze or not by the way the app behaves when I wake it back up. (if it freezes it'll have an error and if it finishes it'll have a delete prompt)
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #64
mattack

Do you guys mean the app itself freezes uncontrollably?

What I've noticed is that the video seems to freeze sometimes *if* I try to continue the download after a failed download. Not always, not reproducibly..

But I can still exit out of playback of the ep.

I keep meaning to try to gather some useful info and write up a bug on their forums.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #65
mrizzo80

Noticed this release includes:
*iOS 7 "swipe-to-go-back" gesture support
*scroll position persistence (scroll down X items in list, drill into show, go back, and scroll position is now maintained)
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #66
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Do you guys mean the app itself freezes uncontrollably?

What I've noticed is that the video seems to freeze sometimes *if* I try to continue the download after a failed download. Not always, not reproducibly..

But I can still exit out of playback of the ep.

I keep meaning to try to gather some useful info and write up a bug on their forums.
I'm talking about the issue where the video itself will freeze when watching a stream.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #67
mattack

OK. I don't see it while streaming, but only because I don't actually stream (much).. I download, so I can skip through commercials (or even, heck, skip back 8 seconds) much more responsively.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #68
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OK. I don't see it while streaming, but only because I don't actually stream (much).. I download, so I can skip through commercials (or even, heck, skip back 8 seconds) much more responsively.
Yes, downloads are the workaround to the freeze problem - freezes don't happen for downloads for some reason. As I said above, I prefer downloads anyway because trick play is more responsive compared to streaming as well as avoiding the freeze issue.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #69
mrizzo80

Not directly related to the iOS7 update, but is there any particular reason (streaming hardware limitation, codec, etc) streaming quality in the home isn't a bit sharper than it currently is?

I'm not complaining - it's perfectly usable as it currently exists. But when comparing a clip of the Tonight Show between the YouTube app and the TiVo app, the YouTube app definitely wins.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #70
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Not directly related to the iOS7 update, but is there any particular reason (streaming hardware limitation, codec, etc) streaming quality in the home isn't a bit sharper than it currently is?

I'm not complaining - it's perfectly usable as it currently exists. But when comparing a clip of the Tonight Show between the YouTube app and the TiVo app, the YouTube app definitely wins.
Because we're basically running version 1.1 of the streaming functionality. It came out, there were a few bug fixes, and that's about it. There have essentially been no feature/functionality improvements. I've got 10mbit+ upstream, I'd love to be able to up the quality, and there's no reason that downloading couldnt be much higher quality.

but.... All out of the house functionality currently goes through a tivo proxy connection, which inhibits bandwidth... they have been promising to open that up... fingers crossed for the upcoming update!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #71
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, downloads are the workaround to the freeze problem - freezes don't happen for downloads for some reason. As I said above, I prefer downloads anyway because trick play is more responsive compared to streaming as well as avoiding the freeze issue.
Actually, as I said, I do have freezing in downloads _if_ the download failed and I had to restart it.. which seems to happen fairly frequently for me nowadays. When I originally got my (separate) Tivo Stream, I didn't have any of the problems some people here were talking about.

But I have since switched to a Roamio Pro with its built in stream functionality... and there have been software upgrades since then.. and I run into these kinds of issues. I have semi-seriously thought about putting my separate Stream back online to see if it worked any different in practice than the built in one.. (I suspect it wouldn't.)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #72
berkshires

Is this an iOS7 only version? If so I apologize. I'm using the current iOS6 version...

Has anyone found that they lose free space deleting shows on a Premiere using this app? Ie. the shows are removed from NP list but the space doesn't actually free up, so at less than 100% usage the TiVo is full?

Since I stopped deleting shows with the iOS app, I have not lost additional space, but I currently max out at 82%
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #73
mattack

I don't think it's iOS7 only.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #74
morac
Cat God

I used to not having any problems watching downloaded shows on my iPad 2. Since updating the app has a tendency to crash when left or right swiping to instant replay or skip ahead. This is with iOS 7.1.1.

Last edited by morac : 06-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #75
bruiz

Anyone notice TiVo App v3.3.1 released today (23-July-2014)?
bruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #76
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Just lists the updates as - Bug fixes
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #77
dbattaglia001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Just lists the updates as - Bug fixes
there are a lot of bugs, especially when downloading a show while it's still recording or going from one wifi network to another and resuming downloads, so here's to hoping that generic bug fix will actually be a big improvement!
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #78
mattack

One thing I noticed that I THINK was fixed, was that I think it now remembers that you want CC on.. I don't remember if I checked going back out to now playing, or just hitting done and starting again on the same show..
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #79
ShoutingMan

Downloading shows to my iPad seems to be getting better, but still can't be trusted. The speeds are maybe a bit better, but I'm not sure. I downloaded 24 S8 this weekend, and of the 11 episodes, 9 downloaded without issue. One had to be resumed onced. And another errored out about ten times, and had to be deleted and restarted.

Is there a bug reporting system at Tivo.com? The download system has been so buggy for so long, I keep meaning to look for a way to add my voice to any feedback they get to fix it.

It's a killer feature for me; but I wish it worked without constant babysitting.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #80
morac
Cat God

I'm not sure if this was a fluke or something, but I downloaded a bunch of FOX shows from my Roamio Pro to my iPad 2 and tried to watch them. Periodically the screen would go completely black for a short while and come back. It did this a few times and eventually I stopped watching.

The shows on my Roamio Pro played back fine.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #81
dbattaglia001

Has anyone had issues with connecting a device via TiVo iPhone app and iPad following the latest version of the app? I have a Roamio Pro and Premiere XL.

On my iPhone, when I launch app, and choose my Roamio DVR, I cannot see or access shows as I get message "Roamio does not appear to be connected to the internet." Same issue with my girlfriends iPhone as well. If I toggle to my Premiere, I see everything, I can stream and download.

This has got to be some type of bug, happened for first time the same day I downloaded the update of tivo app. There isn't a separate Stream, it's housed inside of Roamio. So if I can stream my Premiere shows, obviously my Roamio is connected to the internet as well. When on my home wifi, it works without fail.

This has happened a few times already, seems like a reboot of unit can get it working again, but that fix doesn't do one any good when no one is at home.

Last edited by dbattaglia001 : 07-30-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify that problem exists for my iPad as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #82
morac
Cat God

It's working with my Roamio Pro and iPhone 5S.

Since it's working on your iPad I would suspect something on your iPhone.

Try logging out of the app on your iPhone and logging back in. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #83
dbattaglia001

Thanks for the thoughts but relogging in, delete and reinstalling app, etc do not change the situation. Same issue on my ipad too ( I misspoke earlier).

Hopefully it's software related and not a sign of my hardware failing. Hoping to find others with same issue.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #84
siratfus

Has anyone tried this app internationally? Would it work? Do they really mean it when they say you can be anywhere in the world?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #85
dbattaglia001

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
Has anyone tried this app internationally? Would it work? Do they really mean it when they say you can be anywhere in the world?
It should work, dependent upon you having a satisfactory internet connection in the foreign country.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #86
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
Yes.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post9997954

Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #87
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
Has anyone had issues with connecting a device via TiVo iPhone app and iPad following the latest version of the app? I have a Roamio Pro and Premiere XL.

On my iPhone, when I launch app, and choose my Roamio DVR, I cannot see or access shows as I get message "Roamio does not appear to be connected to the internet." Same issue with my girlfriends iPhone as well. If I toggle to my Premiere, I see everything, I can stream and download.

This has got to be some type of bug, happened for first time the same day I downloaded the update of tivo app. There isn't a separate Stream, it's housed inside of Roamio. So if I can stream my Premiere shows, obviously my Roamio is connected to the internet as well. When on my home wifi, it works without fail.

This has happened a few times already, seems like a reboot of unit can get it working again, but that fix doesn't do one any good when no one is at home.
We saw the same problem a few weeks ago. We couldn't access the playlist on one of our Roamios remotely from the iOS app, but could from the TiVo website.

In our case it turned out to be the Roamio - rebooting the DVR solved the problem.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #88
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Is there a bug reporting system at Tivo.com? The download system has been so buggy for so long, I keep meaning to look for a way to add my voice to any feedback they get to fix it.
The closest thing to a bug reporting system is to start a thread at forums.tivo.com.

I created a thread here to keep track of the ones I've written up:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512005

I suggest others add onto that thread too. (I should go back and add on the original thread that a few of the issues have gone away, at least for me..)
Old 08-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #89
epstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I had the sticky CC problem again after using Amazon app. It looks like the fix is to toggle this accessibility setting on and the off again to fix. Note that you don't need to exit and restart the TiVo app as part of the fix. Annoying bug for sure, but at least the workaround is pretty easy.
I also have the sticky CC problem in the TiVo app using iOS 7.1.2 on my iPad 2. I can't seem to find the magic combination that allows me to toggle the global setting off and then toggle the TiVo app setting on and off at will. I have already turned CC off in the Netflix app and in the Amazon app. No help. The TiVo app still won't let me fool with its CC setting. Kevin, can you give me a procedure that will work. Thanks.

P.S. I find that in some cases the global setting seems to pop back on after I have turned it off. This sometimes seems to happen if I reboot the iPad or if I force-quit the Settings app. I don't actually know the exact sequence of actions that definitely produces this result, but I have seen it happen more than once. Very frustrating. It makes me think the root of the problem must be in iOS itself ...

EDIT: I now find that force-quitting the Settings app reliably causes the global General: Accessibility: Closed Captions + SDH setting to pop back on. Maybe some app that I can't identify has CC set to on, and the global setting picks that up when I return to it after force-quitting the Settings app?

Last edited by epstewart : 08-02-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: More info
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #90
moyekj

I haven't used the Amazon app since having the sticky CC problem and haven't had the issue again either. So there was something about Amazon app causing the problem. Since then the Amazon app has updated at least once, but I haven't yet run it to see if the problem is still present.