TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #31
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That is strange. I wonder why it hits some people and not others?
Maybe some Global setting on the iPad itself or a conflict with another app?
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #32
Dan203
Super Moderator

Apps on iOS are sandboxed so it's impossible for another app to cause a conflict. Unless the device is jailbroken.

Do either of you have any downloaded shows on your device from before the upgrade? If so do they survive an uninstall and reinstall? Maybe TiVo puts settings in a different place then most apps and it allows them to survive an uninstall?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #33
moyekj

Quote:
Do either of you have any downloaded shows on your device from before the upgrade? If so do they survive an uninstall and reinstall? Maybe TiVo puts settings in a different place then most apps and it allows them to survive an uninstall?
No, downloaded shows don't survive uninstall and reinstall. I lost 4 shows that I had downloaded to the iPad. Also note that restore from backup also doesn't restore shows so obviously they are not backed up as part of the App.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #34
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I tried the backup thing a while ago to see if I could get at the video data, but the video data does not get backed up.

So this can't be a settings thing then. Noting would survive the uninstall/reinstall. So it's either a setting on the iPad itself or something to do with your specific videos. You should try wiping it, then set it up as new and only install the TiVo app and see if the problem persists. If it does then it has to be something with your signal. If not then it's a setting on the iPad.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Yeah I tried the backup thing a while ago to see if I could get at the video data, but the video data does not get backed up.

So this can't be a settings thing then. Noting would survive the uninstall/reinstall. So it's either a setting on the iPad itself or something to do with your specific videos. You should try wiping it, then set it up as new and only install the TiVo app and see if the problem persists. If it does then it has to be something with your signal. If not then it's a setting on the iPad.
I'll have to remember to check with my daughters (one has iPad Mini, the other an iPod touch) to see if they have the problem as well. If they do have the problem then that may point to the issue being headend specific. Though the fact the older version of the iOS app doesn't have an issue clearly means it's a iOS app related issue regardless of the cause.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #36
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Just another point - I don't see the CC problem with the new TiVo app. Ipad Mini running 7.1.1
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #37
rainwater

Are you guys sure you don't have CC enabled globally in iOS? Settings > General > Accessibility > Subtitles & Captioning
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #38
blacknoi

Question

For those with the CC bug, do you have any other apps that use closed captions?

I noticed the WWE app / WWE network implements CC's with a different style button and different choices (off/auto/English) and if I leave the closed captions on from THAT app, it impacts the tivo app.

Go back into the wwe app, turn off CC from there and CC's are now gone/off as they should be.

It might not be the WWE as the offender, so check other video apps and their closed caption setting.

One final suggestion is to Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Subtitles & Captioning. See if it's on there
Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #39
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Are you guys sure you don't have CC enabled globally in iOS? Settings > General > Accessibility > Subtitles & Captioning
Turning that setting on definitely recreates to behavior...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #40
jfharrison

Quote:
Apps on iOS are sandboxed so it's impossible for another app to cause a conflict. Unless the device is jailbroken.

My iPad is not jailbroken. I don't download shows, I view them from Tivo Stream on home network accessing my Premier. I checked several shows. One recorded after upgrade and others are weeks or months older. They all had CC. And that is true after deleting the tivo app and reinstalling that same v3.3

My iPad is iPad2 w/ iOS 7.1.1. Since removing Tivo app v3.3 and restoring the older version using iTunes works that pretty much rules out some kind of global setting issue.

Jon
jfharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #41
jfharrison

Quote:
I thought I had checked that but I guess I didn't drill down far enuf. That setting is (was) on.

That doesn't explain why the older version of the app doesn't show the CC but I suppose the developers could have changed the way they hook into it.

I'll have to try the new app again and see what happens.

Thanks for the exact setting.

jon
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #42
jfharrison

OK, v3.3 works correctly now that I've changed the accessibility setting (Thanks, RainWater). In iOS settings it is off and in Tivo App I can toggle it on/off as it would be.

Thanks all for the help
jon
Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #43
mattack

You guys should write up a real bug on the Tivo forums about this.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #44
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You guys should write up a real bug on the Tivo forums about this.
Technically, it is not a bug but it is now respecting the OS level Closed Captioning settings. Perhaps some type of in app tip letting you know may be helpful if it is turned on the first time the app is opened though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #45
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
For those with the CC bug, do you have any other apps that use closed captions? I noticed the WWE app / WWE network implements CC's with a different style button and different choices (off/auto/English) and if I leave the closed captions on from THAT app, it impacts the tivo app. Go back into the wwe app, turn off CC from there and CC's are now gone/off as they should be. It might not be the WWE as the offender, so check other video apps and their closed caption setting. One final suggestion is to Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Subtitles & Captioning. See if it's on there
That can't be blacknoi, Dan203 said the apps are "sandwiched"! I figured it was an app or global setting, and it turns out each could affect that. Good to know!

Last edited by HarperVision : 05-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #46
moyekj

Quote:
Mine is off, so that's not it for me. However, it's possible Netflix or Amazon Instant they are turned on, so I'll have to check those.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #47
jfharrison

Quote:
Technically, it is not a bug but it is now respecting the OS level Closed Captioning settings. Perhaps some type of in app tip letting you know may be helpful if it is turned on the first time the app is opened though.
What I find annoying is that with the setting on globally, there is no indication on the CC switch in the Tivo App to alert the user and nothing in the app settings where I first looked to see if there was a setting. And even tho I checked the global accessibility settings, I missed this particular setting.

Even tho it is respecting the OS level it is not telling a user that it won't work unless the global setting is off. And that global setting is a bit obscure, IMO. This is especially troublesome since the CC toggle on earlier Tivo Apps worked with the global setting on. This version of the app is backwards of that condition and toggling it has no effect if the global setting is on.

jon
Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #48
moyekj

Finally figured it out... Went to Netflix and CC was on, so I turned it off. Turning it off in Netflix does work, unlike for TiVo app. Closed Netflix, restarted and started playing a show and again CC was on by default. Scratched my head for a while since Amazon Instant was also behaving similarly, defaulting to on but at least able to turn off.

Finally I remembered installing VLC a couple of weeks back, so decided to remove that app. Then I started Netflix and Amazon Instant and turned off captions on those and closed them. Finally, now with the latest TiVo app installed now captions default to off again and can be toggled on/off.

In summary, it's certainly a TiVo app bug that controls in other apps affect captions. Looks like you have to turn off captions for all your apps in order for TiVo to be off. A pretty serious bug that previous version didn't have...

Old 05-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #49
HarperVision

So much for Dan's "sandwich" theory.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #50
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's sandbox, not sandwich. The sandbox prevents any app from unintentionally affecting the other. However if the TiVo app is actually designed to look at the global setting, or the settings of other apps, then that is a problem with the app itself and not the sandbox.

I wonder if they tried to add the ability to play Netflix and Amazon in the app as well and then had to turn it off because of some issue but forgot to disable the CC hooks?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #51
HarperVision

Haha yeah, I was just busting your stones. I'm clueless when it comes to how apps are made and programmed.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #52
moyekj

Quote:
I had the sticky CC problem again after using Amazon app. It looks like the fix is to toggle this accessibility setting on and the off again to fix. Note that you don't need to exit and restart the TiVo app as part of the fix. Annoying bug for sure, but at least the workaround is pretty easy.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #53
Dan203
Super Moderator

So is the Amazon app somehow screwing up the global setting?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #54
moyekj

Quote:
So is the Amazon app somehow screwing up the global setting?
Looks like it, but only if I touch captions in the Amazon app. Doesn't matter if I have captions off when I exit and close Amazon app, when I return to TiVo app the CC bug is there.
But whenever I got to settings it shows that it is off, so however Amazon is screwing with the global setting the System Settings screens don't know about it. Plus TiVo seems to be only app that can't toggle the setting once the bug is triggered.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #55
blacknoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
That can't be blacknoi, Dan203 said the apps are "sandwiched"! I figured it was an app or global setting, and it turns out each could affect that. Good to know!

He is right, but I meant that the WWE app impacts the global closed captioning setting which then trickles down to the TiVo app at a global level.

So technically, we both are correct depending on how you look at it
Old 06-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder if this version fixes the freezing issue? I've used it the last two nights and both times I got the delete prompt as expected, but I've gotten my hopes up before and been let down after a couple of days so I'll reserve judgment for at least another week.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #57
bradleys
It'll be fine....

It has still been freezing on me. - so I have to say no...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #58
Dan203
Super Moderator

yeah froze on me last night so no go on that. I wonder what changed? I used a standalone stream for a year and it never froze, then when iOS7 hit it started doing this all the time. I can't believe they have such a major regression like this and still haven't fixed it.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #59
jimmypowder

Quote:
Looks nice. Cellular streaming will require an update to the Stream itself so even if the app supports it we'll still have to wait for that to come through.
Streaming on cellular service will be outright awful if its not very good on a strong wifi network

Fix the problems on wifi first.
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #60
moyekj

Quote:
yeah froze on me last night so no go on that. I wonder what changed? I used a standalone stream for a year and it never froze, then when iOS7 hit it started doing this all the time. I can't believe they have such a major regression like this and still haven't fixed it.
Yes, long overdue fixing it. However, I assume you're aware of the workaround to use downloads instead right (assuming CCI doesn't prevent it)?