TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

New Updated IOS7 TiVo App

TiVo app now plays YouTube, Facebook video to TV or phone

Dave announced an update to the IOS app today... It definitely has a different flatter look than what we were used too and some added features.

As of yet it does not appear to support stream over cellular - but I do like the Facebook and Youtube video integration quite a bit.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
kbmb

It's ok for an update. Some things are nice to finally get away from the pre iOS7 styles. I hated looking at those old style spinning selectors.....now when you chose things like New or reruns, you see all the options without needing to scroll them.

Some elements feel really out of place. The settings box blends to much with the background and some buttons/elements don't seem to have enough spacing in them.

Overall a pretty decent update.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Looks nice. Cellular streaming will require an update to the Stream itself so even if the app supports it we'll still have to wait for that to come through.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Bigg

For some reason my iPhone had 7 updates waiting that hadn't come through auto-update including the TiVo app...

It's still a little sluggish for my liking, but maybe that's just the nature of the beast with having to pull info off of the DVR... I do like the new design though, it finally feels like it fits with iOS 7.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Feels about the same level of responsiveness as the old app. Yeah, I wish it buffered more data while it is idle, so when you click on different areas/scroll down it was snappier/smoother, but its not that high up on my personal wishlist. Dont really care about the cosmetic changes.... wish we could get functionality updates instead. Hopefully this is more "preparation" work for new features they're promising
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
rhroyse

Any early word on how this app update treats those of us who are jailbroken?
rhroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
moyekj

CC permanently on

Since nobody else mentioned it I presume I'm the only one seeing this - with the App update now whenever I stream a show, captions are permanently turned on regardless of what state the CC toggle button is in. If someone else is having that problem please post here. My guess is I'll probably have to uninstall and re-install to hopefully fix the issue...

EDIT: Uninstalled and reinstalled the App and problem persists. Now I'm not so sure I'm the only one seeing this. I have enabled and used captions before, but the toggle has always worked. This gets annoying in a hurry watching certain shows with no ability to turn off. Great...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-28-2014 at 02:20 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
Alf Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroyse View Post
Any early word on how this app update treats those of us who are jailbroken?
Didn't affect my ipad air or iPhone 5 both on AT&T. I can still watch live tv and stream recorded shows over cellular and didn't get one of those messages about I modified devices either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Since nobody else mentioned it I presume I'm the only one seeing this - with the App update now whenever I stream a show, captions are permanently turned on regardless of what state the CC toggle button is in. If someone else is having that problem please post here. My guess is I'll probably have to uninstall and re-install to hopefully fix the issue...

EDIT: Uninstalled and reinstalled the App and problem persists. Now I'm not so sure I'm the only one seeing this. I have enabled and used captions before, but the toggle has always worked. This gets annoying in a hurry watching certain shows with no ability to turn off. Great...
Works for me. iPhone 5/iOS 7.1.1, never jailbroken. TiVo App version: v3.3(732148). Tried it with a program that had been downloaded before the app update, as well as with a live stream. CCs were able to be toggled on and off at will. The live stream was coming from a Roamio Plus with 20.4.1 (Stream version info: 19.1.6-USB6).
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
rhroyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Tanner View Post
Didn't affect my ipad air or iPhone 5 both on AT&T. I can still watch live tv and stream recorded shows over cellular and didn't get one of those messages about I modified devices either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Good to know. I took the leap on my 5s last night, and it seemed to work. But, I use apps to mask the jailbreak so I never know exactly what changes from update to update until I talk to others with a similar config.

Were you able to download shows over cellular before this update? I noticed that option last night and wondered if it was new to this release? What apps do you use to avoid issues? I use TS Protector P and 3G Unrestrictor.

Thanks,

-Rob
rhroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Works for me. iPhone 5/iOS 7.1.1, never jailbroken. TiVo App version: v3.3(732148). Tried it with a program that had been downloaded before the app update, as well as with a live stream. CCs were able to be toggled on and off at will. The live stream was coming from a Roamio Plus with 20.4.1 (Stream version info: 19.1.6-USB6).
My iOS device is iPad Air, so perhaps it only affects iPads? Anyone with an iPad or iPad Air have the CC problem?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I didn't notice the CC problem last night and I am only one generation iPad behind the Air...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
UCLABB

Does anyone else have a problem with the todo list? On my iOs devices, it constantly "reboots", going back to the top of the list while I am scrolling down the screen Highly irritating.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
My iOS device is iPad Air, so perhaps it only affects iPads? Anyone with an iPad or iPad Air have the CC problem?
I have an iPad air and I'm able to toggle CCs at will. Have you tried rebooting the iPad? I find that if I stop all running apps, then launch one app, then reboot it clears up a lot of issues. Launching that app after you kill them is key. Without that it will relaunch everything after the reboot.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #15

I haven't had a lot of time to put it through the paces, but the look of it is pretty wonky.

It's made up of a weird mix of iOS 7 flat minimalism and TiVo's 3D beveled signature look.

They don't combine elegantly.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah they should have created flat versions of the icons like the folders, delete/KUID, thumbs, etc...

Edit: although iOS itself has a weird mix of flat and shaded stuff so it's not really that out of place.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
I haven't had a lot of time to put it through the paces, but the look of it is pretty wonky. It's made up of a weird mix of iOS 7 flat minimalism and TiVo's 3D beveled signature look. They don't combine elegantly.
Yeah, kind of like the hodgepodge SD/HD GUI menus on the Tivos!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yeah, kind of like the hodgepodge SD/HD GUI menus on the Tivos!
Come on it's not that bad.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
Alf Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroyse View Post
Good to know. I took the leap on my 5s last night, and it seemed to work. But, I use apps to mask the jailbreak so I never know exactly what changes from update to update until I talk to others with a similar config.

Were you able to download shows over cellular before this update? I noticed that option last night and wondered if it was new to this release? What apps do you use to avoid issues? I use TS Protector P and 3G Unrestrictor.

Thanks,

-Rob
Previously I used xcon, and am currently using the old beta 37 version I think. I use tsprotector p and my3g. The tivo app in my 3g with the direct flag set worked for me previously to download shows over cellular.

My iPad has unlimited data grandfathered from the original iPad 3G, so I use a lot of data when I'm on the road working especially in a lte area
Alf Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

When I was on vacation a few weeks ago the wifi in the hotel was so bad that I couldn't even download a show without it stalling. I ended up using my iPhone in teather mode to link my iPad so that I could download stuff. I have never used that much mobile data in my life. Luckily our plan lapsed right in the middle of our trip so we didn't go over our limit.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #21
mattack

Quote:

While I obviously wouldn't want it *stuck* on, I do wish that CC acted more like a mode.. since it turns off each time you exit a program.. So I have to keep turning it back on (and of course, as we know, it doesn't play most SD programs with CC).

Basically, I want CC to stay on, and of course if the data isn't there, it can't show any captions.. but when they're there, show them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #22
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have an iPad air and I'm able to toggle CCs at will. Have you tried rebooting the iPad? I find that if I stop all running apps, then launch one app, then reboot it clears up a lot of issues. Launching that app after you kill them is key. Without that it will relaunch everything after the reboot.
Thanks for suggestion, but it didn't help. I've tried everything short of a factory reset of my iPad and nothing has fixed it. I've also tried switching to streaming form my series 4 units and same problem there.

So if rebooting the iPad and deleting and reinstalling the App doesn't work, what else can I possibly try?

Is there a way to revert back to older version of an App? This new version adds nothing useful to me at all, so I'll revert back happily if possible.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #23
moyekj

I did a clear and delete all of the iPad followed by a restore from backup dated May 25 which got me the older version of TiVo app. It's working fine for now. I fear once the app updates it will revert back to having the same problem. I'll have to research if it's possible to prevent app auto updates...

EDIT: Found setting to prevent auto app updates, so I'm going to stick with the older app for now. I don't use the iPad for anything else anyway.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #24
jfharrison

I have the same CC issue. The Tivo Chat guy told me to uninstall, reinstall. Still doesn't work. How does one go about filing a bug report for this app?

I deleted the app, v 3.3 and installed the old v3.2.4 & re-sync'd using iTunes from my laptop (not from the cloud).

I note that on the older version, the CC button has a 2 position indication for on/off whereas the new version does not have this.

Using an iPad2.

jon
jfharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #25
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfharrison View Post
I have the same CC issue. The Tivo Chat guy told me to uninstall, reinstall. Still doesn't work. How does one go about filing a bug report for this app?

I deleted the app, v 3.3 and installed the old v3.2.4 & re-sync'd using iTunes from my laptop (not from the cloud).

I note that on the older version, the CC button has a 2 position indication for on/off whereas the new version does not have this.

Using an iPad2.

jon
OK, thanks for posting and kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one that had the issue. I'm just going to stick with the older version for now which works properly for me and I like the look and feel of much better as well.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does it only happen with certain shows/channels? Or is it happening on everything?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #27
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Does it only happen with certain shows/channels? Or is it happening on everything?
It was happening on everything I tried from at least 4 different channels.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #28
moyekj

Another poster suffering from the CC always on bug started a thread in Stream forum, so it looks like that bug is pretty widespread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517954

Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #29
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I tested it on my iPad and my wife's iPad Air last night and I couldn't recreate the bug...

Very interesting.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

That is strange. I wonder why it hits some people and not others?