TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #91
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Got it overnight... first reaction, I do not like. I can't see the text from where I sit normally and that orange location bar obliterates the underlying text. I'll start reading this but this is one of those upgrades I didn't need I'm afraid.
I'm wondering if those that have issues need their televisions calibrated. And definitely sharpness turned all the way down - sharpness up can really mess with text and create halos.

It should be easy to see:

b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #92
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I'm wondering if those that have issues need their televisions calibrated. And definitely sharpness turned all the way down - sharpness up can really mess with text and create halos.

It should be easy to see:

It's also easy to see on my TV (HD plasma). I wonder changing the correcting the color balance on the TV might also help - the previous poster said it was "orange" but on my TV it's definitely more of a goldenrod yellow.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #93
HIHZia
Mad Turk

I didn't even know this was coming. so I was quite surprised to see it. I did turn off the categories on the left. Useless to me and just cluttered the screen, but without it it's very nice.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #94
javabird

Quote:
really? I don't have enough shows to warrant categories. It just smooshes the screen more, and I turned it off immediately.
Wow, I have a Roamio Pro with 92% full. I love the categories!
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #95
rainwater

Quote:
really? I don't have enough shows to warrant categories.
The categories view is certainly more appealing to customers with the Roamio Pro (or even the Plus) because they are likely to have hundreds of recordings.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #96
bhoch99

Arrow SD Menu Colors

One big thing I don't like about the update is that the color of the SD menus changed to black background, white text, and yellow highlighting. It looks awful. I have no desire to use the HD menus (don't like the PIP, don't like the ribbon of show image stuff at the top of the screen). I don't see anyway to switch SD menu colors to what they were originally.

I forgot to try it when I was home, but I'm assuming closed captioning with 1xFF is also still no longer working.
bhoch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #97
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The categories view is certainly more appealing to customers with the Roamio Pro (or even the Plus) because they are likely to have hundreds of recordings.
why would they have more? I have the Tivo Premiere XL. It's just my personal viewing practices - I'm always watching stuff to clear it off ASAP
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #98
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The NPL is not any busier than it was before if you disable categories (which I did, immediately).
Interesting. Didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try that and see how I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Now Playing List, what's commonly TiVo also refers to as My Shows.
Exactly, way old name for it. I've had TiVos for a while...

Quote:
why would they have more? I have the Tivo Premiere XL. It's just my personal viewing practices - I'm always watching stuff to clear it off ASAP
3TB? 6 tuners? I guess they could have more...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #99
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Irrelevant if those that bought a Basic or a Plus upgraded their hard drive.

It's not going to be appealing to me until they quit wasting so much space on the left and right of the screen, allowing it to display show and episode, not just show, without additional navigation.

I have over 800 recordings on mine, and couldn't handle the truncated titles/episode names.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #100
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
3TB? 6 tuners? I guess they could have more...
Roamio Plus is 150 hours. My Tivo Premiere XL is 150 hours. No difference. I have two tivos so 4 tuners.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #101
trip1eX

The categories are junky looking. I mean really a list to the side of the list?

But I instinctively made use of them when I wanted to continue a movie I had partially watched the night before. I was like wow I actually made use of categories. ...beats scrolling through the list of shows.

since I've quickly skipped to the suggestions too. And quickly seeing the movies on your hard drive is something I will probably use.

Still seems like they could implement this better. AT least a shortcut button to cycle through the categories you want in there. Nevermind a more pleasing graphical look instead of the getting dated Tivo menu lists.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #102
Bigg

Quote:
Roamio Plus is 150 hours. My Tivo Premiere XL is 150 hours. No difference. I have two tivos so 4 tuners.
The Premiere series topped out at 2TB/4 tuners, the Roamio series tops out at 3TB/6 tuners. So yeah, a Roamio user could have more stuff on there to categorize.

So yes, there is a 1TB/2 tuner difference. That being said, I disabled it on my XL4 and Minis, as I didn't like the truncated titles, and I don't find much use for the categories anyways.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:41 AM   #103
LoneWolf15
Jedi Pirate Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch99 View Post
One big thing I don't like about the update is that the color of the SD menus changed to black background, white text, and yellow highlighting. It looks awful. I have no desire to use the HD menus (don't like the PIP, don't like the ribbon of show image stuff at the top of the screen). I don't see anyway to switch SD menu colors to what they were originally.

I forgot to try it when I was home, but I'm assuming closed captioning with 1xFF is also still no longer working.
You can turn the PIP off in the HD menus.

Also, I don't know that you can turn the ribbon off completely, but there are (as I saw it) types of shows you can exclude from showing up there.
My Premiere XL was down for 2-3 weeks due to a failed hard drive, followed by a replacement hard drive being DoA; I just got this update while bringing my system back online last night. So far, the one thing I've done is go back to the grid guide, which will be more intuitive for the SO (and in truth, probably myself). I did notice better responsiveness in the menus, which I'm happy about. More testing is required to get my opinion on the rest.

Last edited by LoneWolf15 : 08-06-2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: ***
LoneWolf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #104
KDeFlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch99 View Post
One big thing I don't like about the update is that the color of the SD menus changed to black background, white text, and yellow highlighting. It looks awful.
This black background sometimes happens with my unit, and has done so for the past year but only occasionally. I agree that it looks unattractive, but at least everything functions the same way. With the update, I can tell you that my SD menus do have the blue background, along with the jarring contrast bar (more of a dirty yellow or goldenrod color). I've never figured out why that black background happens, but it always restored to blue after navigating between a few screens.

My only complaint is that the SD menu update seems to have lost a folder which listed all HD recordings in chronological order, not nested in show folders. It was a convenient tool that we used frequently.

(returning to amend the above)
I've had another look, and now I see a difference. The new SD background still has blue in the upper left, but it has a texture fade to black across and down to the lower right. It is not a nice look. For comparison, I found the old blue background on a promotional screen, one of those starred bars that lead you to voting in #TiVoUpfronts for fall shows. Warm and friendly, and a consistent level of contrast between text and background -- that's what an informational screen should strive for, not artistic drama.

Last edited by KDeFlane : 08-08-2014 at 10:30 AM.
KDeFlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #105
b_scott
TiVo Fan

My advice is to join 2014 (or 2007 for that matter) and go HD.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #106
Bigg

Quote:
My advice is to join 2014 (or 2007 for that matter) and go HD.
Yup. Especially since this update makes the Premieres WAY faster on HD menus.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #107
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Always amusing to see the diehards sticking with SD on Premieres.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Always amusing to see the diehards sticking with SD on Premieres.
I wish cable systems would just dump all the SD duplicated channels that have an HD counterpart.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #109
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wish cable systems would just dump all the SD duplicated channels that have an HD counterpart.
That would be bad news for the 3TB Roamio I currently have 523 recordings of "Supernatural" in SD on. It's a record-all SP, because every time I think I have the whole series, I find golf/basketball recorded, instead.

I know it's on Netflix. They are just waiting for me to delete it from my TiVo, before they take it down... Never count on "It's on Netflix"...
Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #110
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
True, sometimes as No One points outs, sometimes is nice to have the SD version if you are keeping a collection of tv episoides were resolution doesn't matter such I record a lot of the orginal Twilight Zone and 70's tv series were HD really doesn't do anything other than to consume more drive space.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #111
Bigg

Quote:
Agreed. They would have to keep expanded basic for DTAs, but the rest of the stuff should be converted to MPEG-4 HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
True, sometimes as No One points outs, sometimes is nice to have the SD version if you are keeping a collection of tv episoides were resolution doesn't matter such I record a lot of the orginal Twilight Zone and 70's tv series were HD really doesn't do anything other than to consume more drive space.
Was that stuff shot to video originally? Anything that was pre-video is worth HD, since they've scanned the film at high resolution...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #112
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That would be bad news for the 3TB Roamio I currently have 523 recordings of "Supernatural" in SD on. It's a record-all SP, because every time I think I have the whole series, I find golf/basketball recorded, instead.

I know it's on Netflix. They are just waiting for me to delete it from my TiVo, before they take it down... Never count on "It's on Netflix"...
You do realize your rerun recordings are *chopped up*, right? You're probably missing 5-10 minutes per episode from the original airing, due to time for more commercials.

The physical media and/or streaming versions are _likely_ the original episodes. (There have been a few goofs where DVD versions were syndicated versions -- but IMHO even that is less bad than syndicated versions where you have to skip commercials and deal with logos/promos.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #113
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You do realize your rerun recordings are *chopped up*, right? You're probably missing 5-10 minutes per episode from the original airing, due to time for more commercials.

The physical media and/or streaming versions are _likely_ the original episodes. (There have been a few goofs where DVD versions were syndicated versions -- but IMHO even that is less bad than syndicated versions where you have to skip commercials and deal with logos/promos.)
Yeah. Before I cancelled my Netflix DVD plan, I acquired rips of Season 1 that way. If it wasn't for sports/news/reality show overruns, I'd be fine with the missing content of shows I want for posterity. I just don't want them badly enough to pay purchase price for. It wasn't even enough for me to deal with Netflix and their changes, plus resurfacing their scratched-up DVDs, so they could be read, without errors, then rip, then send back. Bleh...
Old 08-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #114
lew

Quote:
really? I don't have enough shows to warrant categories. It just smooshes the screen more, and I turned it off immediately.
+1 Sometimes the issue is with the angle you're viewing your set. Sometimes it's an issue with your vision. I'm corrected to 20/40. I think a monospaced font would be easier to read. I always thought tivo should have an "advanced" settings menu. Let us pick a larger font. Let people change the size of the buffer. We can probably think of a dozen items poster ask for, and shouldn't be that hard to add.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote