TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #31
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Still waiting almost 2 years for Android support.

Amazon prime streaming would be nice too. But given TiVo's track record, I've learned to expect absolutely nothing.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #32
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Wow. So there IS at least one thing about TiVo that isn't to your liking...
LOL! Yeah, I do tend to be a fanboy.

I've been lucky, rarely has an update broken something. I guess with all the different systems out there, the weird combinations of cable cards, tuning adapters, coax, antenna, yada yada, plus the millions of units, that every change TiVo makes is going to disrupt something. And since for me, recording TV is the core function of a TiVo, I've been generally happy, as TiVo is without a doubt the premiere DVR on the market. Why else would we put up with all this shyte?

But time marches on, and all these alternative feeds (streaming etc versus plain ol' cable) are becoming more important to TiVo's survival. Plus I just bought an Android tablet, and I want my d*mn streaming! It's all about me!

But as many have said before me, my expectations are basically non-existent, so anything we get is a welcome surprise.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
JC Fedorczyk

How many more years will it take for them to get all of the UI to HD?
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
The lack of Amazon Prime streaming is the biggest current problem. I'm sure a large number of TiVo owners are Amazon Prime members who would love to be able to use it through their TiVos. The current Amazon app is very disappointing without a streaming option and completely useless on the Mini.
Especially since with the Mini, there is no way to view the Amazon content.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #35
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
How many more years will it take for them to get all of the UI to HD?
Why would TiVo spend the money to make menus rarely used, except in setup or TiVo problems, go to HD ?? Most TiVo users, after setup, never will go the non HD menus.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #36
bikegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Why would TiVo spend the money to make menus rarely used, except in setup or TiVo problems, go to HD ?? Most TiVo users, after setup, never will go the non HD menus.
I have always wondered why this is so important to some. The common screens are done, who cares about setup screens I rarely use.
bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post

For me it's so the experience is consistent. I go to these menus fairly often lately with all the channel additions and shuffling on FiOS. I would like for the preview window to always be present so that no matter what I am doing, I can see and hear what I was watching.

Its very jarring switching to the SD menus. Plus, as I mentioned, I can't see and hear what I was watching.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
JC Fedorczyk

Exactly. Consistency is important from an overall quality standpoint and "unified" presentation. It's pure laziness on Tivo's part. Saying, "you only use it once" isn't really a valid answer. You'd never accept having an input on your tv only be capable of SD while everything else is HD.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #39
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Especially since with the Mini, there is no way to view the Amazon content.
You do know there is a way, it just requires using the Tivo Apple IOS app which technically hasn't been determined to be a mistake or just a undocumented feature. I keep an older iPad touch next one of my Mini's for such that sole reason.

Personally I feel Tivo needs to get better organized with a better long term goals set, it appears in the last few years they seem to have a difficult time completing one project before they move on to another.

There is no valid reason to support part of Amazon video and not Prime, no reason the UI for the Mini and Roamio boxes don't match, no reason to release Stream for half of the mobile device users and more than anything, simple stability esp with the latest series 5, after five generations of TiVo's, rebooting and hdmi issues should have been solved years ago.

I have been a Tivo fan for many years and always purchased lifetime service but this year after upgrading to the Roamio I have held off as I'm not nearly as confident of TiVo's future as I once was esp when they announced they were closing their hardware development department as downsizing is not always the sign of a strong organization and the only thing they have expanded is their monthly fees.
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 06-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 AM   #40
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I have been a Tivo fan for many years and always purchased lifetime service but this year after upgrading to the Roamio I have held off as I'm not nearly as confident of TiVo's future as I once was esp when they announced they were closing their hardware development department as downsizing is not always the sign of a strong organization and the only thing they have expanded is their monthly fees.
I was concerned when I first heard that but when I realized it was just the hardware engineers it makes some sense. It's partially a statement that TV hardware is becoming more universal, standardized, and common.

If they stayed around, some number of them would have been twiddling their thumbs if the next product generation is going to be cloud based.

Losing their software engineers, I feel would be unhealthy though.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #41
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post

There is no valid reason to support part of Amazon video and not Prime,
IS that Tivo's fault or Amazon's? I would guess it is Amazon who is doing the app. And I would guess that Tivo has a very small install base relatively speaking.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #42
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I was concerned when I first heard that but when I realized it was just the hardware engineers it makes some sense. It's partially a statement that TV hardware is becoming more universal, standardized, and common.

If they stayed around, some number of them would have been twiddling their thumbs if the next product generation is going to be cloud based.

Losing their software engineers, I feel would be unhealthy though.
They laid off a total of FIVE hardware engineers. They still have over 200 R&D full-time staff and over 400 employees and are growing. The number of software engineers continues to grow, just not in the areas affecting us (retail TiVos). They're concentrating much more (e.g., DigitalSmith acquisition) in services to cable companies.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #43
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
Exactly. Consistency is important from an overall quality standpoint and "unified" presentation. It's pure laziness on Tivo's part. Saying, "you only use it once" isn't really a valid answer.
I agree, though at this point it's clear TiVo is never going to make those menus HD no matter how much we scream about it. I wonder how much work it could be, doing menus should be the easiest part of their software. Of course they foolishly chose Flash as their UI of choice, so it could be horribly difficult.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #44
Bsteenson
TiVo is no BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I agree, though at this point it's clear TiVo is never going to make those menus HD no matter how much we scream about it. I wonder how much work it could be, doing menus should be the easiest part of their software. Of course they foolishly chose Flash as their UI of choice, so it could be horribly difficult.
Agree also. Functionally, I couldn't care less about menus being SD or HD (for a couple of years I used SD menus even when HD was available because at that time the HD menus were soooo slow).

But if you want to position yourself as a premium product, then look premium all the way through.
Series 2 DT (2); Series 2 (2); Series 1 (2)
Bsteenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #45
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsteenson View Post
Agree also. Functionally, I couldn't care less about menus being SD or HD (for a couple of years I used SD menus even when HD was available because at that time the HD menus were soooo slow).

But if you want to position yourself as a premium product, then look premium all the way through.
Yeah, from a practical standpoint it doesn't really matter to me very much either (through I do occasionally experience an "audio static blast" when going between the HD and SD menus, which is unpleasant), but the message it sends is that TiVo is fine with a certain amount of sloppiness and having loose ends just hanging out there forever. Also, I'm definitely not a programmer, but I really can't understand why it should be that hard to fix this issue unless TiVo's software engineers are either slightly incompetent or slightly apathetic/lazy.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 06-14-2014 at 12:24 AM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #46
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Personally I do not care either, But, It seems really sloppy when the SD Menu then transitions back to an HD Menu.

For instance:
Settings (SD) > Recording (SD) > TiVo Suggestions (back to HD)

All choices under Recording Settings go back to HD Menus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #47
gear

I kind of thought the hold up on an Amazon Prime app update was due to their planned inclusion of free Prime music streaming. Now that it's here maybe they will update the Tivo app. They have to update the apps for Roku, and Fire TV so maybe they only wanted to do each app once.
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #48
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd like to see the audio cutout when transitioning from LIVETV to the main menu fixed. Having all menus in HD would also be nice just from a consistency perspective.

Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #49
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

First day of summer was yesterday, so let the countdown begin.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #50
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

New Feature: My Shows Categories:

It is interesting TiVo posted the video before updating the Priority Update list.
Note that Amazon is not listed under Video Providers????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmbXU4PlU

I assume the Priority List will be up soon?
www.tivo.com/priority/

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #51
innocentfreak

Disappointing since it doesn't look like you can customize all that much. Still no option to add shows from Netflix to your My Shows.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #52
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
New Feature: My Shows Categories: It is interesting TiVo posted the video before updating the Priority Update list. Note that Amazon is not listed under Video Providers???? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmbXU4PlU I assume the Priority List will be up soon? www.tivo.com/priority/
I find it amusing that they don't show any ads in the menu on that promo YouTube video.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #53
jjd416

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Note that Amazon is not listed under Video Providers????
Amazon doesn't show up currently under "My Shows" either even though other video providers such as Netflix and Xfinity do.
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #54
gothaggis

wasn't there supposed to be an 'app store' of sorts of the tivo romio? based on the opera browser or something. whatever happened to that?
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #55
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
wasn't there supposed to be an 'app store' of sorts of the tivo romio? based on the opera browser or something. whatever happened to that?
It's there, under Apps & Games/Opera Store...not much interesting in the store though.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #56
sbiller

Priority List is Up

https://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_2
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #57
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Thank You very much.

I checked it a day ago, and it said no updates were available for anything at all. It was not even giving the boxes to enter the TSNs, to then tell you no update was available for that model's TSN (which was a frustrating way to check).
Old 06-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #58
morac
Cat God

I'll probably wait a day or two before entering my TSN. Every time I enter it in the first day or two, it goes into a black hole somewhere.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #59
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'll probably wait a day or two before entering my TSN. Every time I enter it in the first day or two, it goes into a black hole somewhere.
That's my whole plan. If the update is worse than what I already have, and I'm stuck in the "black hole", I can just wait until the next update is in the pipes, and then ask to get this imminent version, right before the next new one.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #60
davezatz
Funkadelic

Intel suggests updates some time after the July 4th holiday weekend.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote