TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Upcoming 2014 summer update speculation?

Anyone want to speculate what this summer has in hold for the update? The field test email messages appear to have been sent out, at least I have received one which I haven't responded to yet. Granted once the NDA is set you can't really comment so I thought I would bring it up, for myself to participate I may have to put the original drives back into my Roamio's which won't be too bad since this coming weekend I'm replacing my basic Roamio with a Pro.

Other than possible Android Stream support, anyone care to speculate what the summer has in hold for Tivo users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We will begin updating TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Mini boxes with 20.4.1 "Spring Update" later today.

P.S. We have some cool stuff lined up for the "Summer Update". It is a great time to join our Beta program if you want to be part of the (secret) inner circle: https://fieldtrials.tivo.com/signup/default.html

TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
mrizzo80

3 column My Shows
Native streaming over cellular connections
New Amazon app (hopefully with Prime support)
Android Streaming
TiVo Mini UI matching the Roamio UI
Maybe something in the social arena
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
mrizzo80

I've never participated in any TiVo field trials, but if they are just now sending out beta invites I'm wondering if the Summer Update will be released more towards the end of summer rather than, say, sometime in June.

How long does a typical beta for a major TiVo release usually run? I would guess 2 or 3 months without having any experience with them.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hopefully Amazon streaming as well as the Android Stream support. And a new Mini UI would also be nice.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I haven't heard a peep from the field trials program for a LONG time... several years now, I think. I had to go and actually check and see if I was still signed up, which I am. I wonder how they select which people get invited to which programs.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
rifleman69

Rule #1, You do not talk about Fight Club
Rule #2, YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I haven't heard a peep from the field trials program for a LONG time... several years now, I think. I had to go and actually check and see if I was still signed up, which I am. I wonder how they select which people get invited to which programs.
You have to have non upgraded TiVos in your account for one thing.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

The problem now is that with four and six tuner Tivos, I don't have extra Tivos lying around like in the old days when two tuners was the max. So I wouldn't want beta software on a DVR I need to use on a regular basis. Plus beta testing is time consuming. Having to dedicate up to an hour or more each day to do the testing properly.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
ftg

I just did the TiVo advisors' panel May survey.

Very short one this time.

No questions about Android, Amazon, etc. I was hoping they would ask for feedback on Comcast On-demand. They need to work on improving that.

Interested in my desktop/laptop/etc. OSes. (Android wasn't one of the options though ChromeOS was.) Presumably just for TiVo Desktop purposes.

They've barely been interested in Android at all in these surveys.

Of course this is reasonable, since there are more Android devices in the world then all other OSes combined. An insignificant market.
ftg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Sometimes it is worth going in and creating a new record. At one point they requested you do this since they added more questions and changed something. If you didn't do this, you may not show up on the list of candidates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I was hoping they would ask for feedback on Comcast On-demand. They need to work on improving that.

They've barely been interested in Android at all in these surveys.
you realize the Comcast app works better on tivo than their own box? And that Comcast owns the app?

No need to ask about Android. The answer is known, no need to ask the obvious!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
thalador

How about not rebooting for no reason all the time
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
Bigg

Not too much I want. The XoD app is a disaster, but then again XoD is kind of pointless when you have a TiVo. Just for platform parity, I guess I'll put my vote in for streaming on the Android side of things...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Disaster? Really?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalador View Post
How about not rebooting for no reason all the time
That's my number one feature request.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I speculate that there won't be a summer update. I bet it's closer to late fall/early winter.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I speculate that there won't be a summer update. I bet it's closer to late fall/early winter.
When are they usually released?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
When are they usually released?
When the update is finished and tested (somewhat).

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When the update is finished and tested (somewhat).
And sometimes sooner unfortunately....
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Disaster? Really?
Considering it crashes all the time, yes.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #21
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Sorry this is so far off-topic, folks!

hmmm, I use it pretty darn regularly, at least a couple/few times a week. Very occasionally have to re-launch it because of the silly error about tightening your cable and maybe once or twice its needed a reboot of either the mini or Roamio to get it running again over a year's time... other than that its been rock solid for me. Has literally never hung, or crashed out or stopped responding to remote commands, rebooted the whole Tivo, etc.

Compared to how bad the netflix client worked for a while there, in my experience I'd call it world-class, other than how ugly it looks.

Well, there was that time it was down a while ago when something on the back end died and it took them a couple of days to resuscitate whatever it was... cant fault the client for that one, tho.

Is it better is some markets than others maybe? The Boston market was like 1st to get it since we had the mutant comcast/tivo Motorolla boxes and they used it to replace that...
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Doesn't do that here in the ATL, you just get the occasional error on playback because all the QAM channels are tied up. So all we do is keep hitting play until it works when that happens, and it always works eventually.

You've got another issue with your area, the XOD app doesn't crash all the time everywhere.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #23
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Sorry this is so far off-topic, folks!

hmmm, I use it pretty darn regularly, at least a couple/few times a week. Very occasionally have to re-launch it because of the silly error about tightening your cable and maybe once or twice its needed a reboot of either the mini or Roamio to get it running again over a year's time... other than that its been rock solid for me. Has literally never hung, or crashed out or stopped responding to remote commands, rebooted the whole Tivo, etc.

Compared to how bad the netflix client worked for a while there, in my experience I'd call it world-class, other than how ugly it looks.

Well, there was that time it was down a while ago when something on the back end died and it took them a couple of days to resuscitate whatever it was... cant fault the client for that one, tho.

Is it better is some markets than others maybe? The Boston market was like 1st to get it since we had the mutant comcast/tivo Motorolla boxes and they used it to replace that...
It could be market based, it could also be because we are on a Sci Atlanta system, as opposed to most of Comcast with Moto (although Comcast will be pretty evenly split if the TWC merger goes through).

Ours bombs out just about every time you go in, although about half the time it will start working after it bombs out.

Netflix is a little different though, since you can just switch to one of the other gazillion devices that supports it, vs. VOD where you have to have a CableCard or MSO-provided device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Doesn't do that here in the ATL, you just get the occasional error on playback because all the QAM channels are tied up. So all we do is keep hitting play until it works when that happens, and it always works eventually.

You've got another issue with your area, the XOD app doesn't crash all the time everywhere.
Wow, I didn't realize that areas actually ran out of QAMs other than once in a blue moon. I've never heard of that actually happening. I've also probably never been on a really busy node.

Not that I really care about XoD, as it's something that I didn't really want in the first place, I've just tested it a few times out of curiosity about TiVo supporting it.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
cart5250

field test

Hello, spoke w/ Tech Support, recommended I signup w/ field trials... Is there anything to be gained in doing so ?
cart5250

Got link... gonna verify...

Bye
cart5250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
BigJimOutlaw

If approved, the benefit is you gain early access to beta software before general release. It may or may not have new features or fix any issues you have. (Don't know about bug fixes, but the tea leaves suggest the summer update will have some new features.)

Downside is the risk of bugs and instability, and you're expected to actively test and contribute to the process, beyond using your DVR normally.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #26
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
We're about two weeks out from the 3-column view. Hopefully some streaming enhancements are also on the docket. Haven't heard anything on an Amazon update recently. :/

Last edited by davezatz : 06-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #27
dukenilnil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Hopefully Amazon streaming as well as the Android Stream support. And a new Mini UI would also be nice.
+1 to the Android streaming support and Amazon Prime streaming
dukenilnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm at the point where the ONLY thing I care about any more is Android streaming support.

The. Only. Thing.

astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #29
tarheelblue32

The lack of Amazon Prime streaming is the biggest current problem. I'm sure a large number of TiVo owners are Amazon Prime members who would love to be able to use it through their TiVos. The current Amazon app is very disappointing without a streaming option and completely useless on the Mini.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #30
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm at the point where the ONLY thing I care about any more is Android streaming support.

The. Only. Thing.

Wow. So there IS at least one thing about TiVo that isn't to your liking...

I'm more worried about what they'll break, or make worse, in usual fashion...

Fixes are nice. New things are nice (sometimes). I just can't recall a release where they didn't break something, unless that release was an emergency release, to fix something they broke with what they had just released...

I sure hope they fix all the CPU priority issues when transfers are in progress. That's one issue everybody who uses transfers is familiar with, and will not deny! Having to suffer it this long is ridiculous. That it was released with that issue in the first place, is unforgivable, in my book.