TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #31
squint

I don't know about the Roamio tuners but the Series 3 ones get pretty hot by themselves.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #32
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
I don't know about the Roamio tuners but the Series 3 ones get pretty hot by themselves.
IMHO, with the base Roamio, the temperature that can be felt by grasping the coax connector is a lot warmer (borderline hot), compared to the Premiere or TiVo HD.

The other model Roamios kept the metal case and airflow of the Premiere, so I can only guess how warm they get. They do have two more tuners than a base model, and four more than a TiVo HD or two-tuner Premiere.

It's hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'm not very trusting of the base-Roamios design. The placement of the fan, the pull/push airflow, and all that insulating plastic (as opposed to heatsinking metal), just all seems so backwards to me. I do have a limited background in design and testing of cooling strategies. Unfortunately, I don't own my own rig with real-time monitoring, recording, plotting/graphing, and contact thermocouples to place on everything. All I have is my IR gun, which doesn't work well on shiny surfaces.

Only time will tell how effective TiVo's new design is, and what the longevity will be. For now, it's all speculation. The product hasn't been "in the wild" long enough to see how it will fare.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-31-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

The only concern with the Basic should be if the fan stops working. Otherwise the design is fine. It does it's job keeping the airflow moving. It just isn't as efficient as the other Roamio models.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #34
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only concern with the Basic should be if the fan stops working. Otherwise the design is fine. It does it's job keeping the airflow moving. It just isn't as efficient as the other Roamio models.
I can agree with most of that. I do have some concerns with how easy it is for the intake and exhaust slits to clog, and the choice of fan they used. Could they have found a cheaper, louder, and more inefficient one?

As loud and annoying as all three of mine have been since day one, I'm often tempted to source my own fans. I can't imagine tolerating what they will likely sound like when the bearings begin to go dry/wear out... IMHO, I just don't find the ratio of noise/airflow efficiency to be acceptable.

I use NASCAR-rated earplugs to bed, and can still hear just one running. Hearing two whining away, like mini jet engines, makes for some annoying nights. It's always the first thing I hear when I wake up, and can hear them with the TV volume pretty high, unless I'm watching an action scene.

But, I can hear sounds nobody else can. I can hear compact fluorescent lights with noisy chopping transistors, that nobody else can hear. Turn the light off, and I don't hear it anymore...
Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
topangajack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC9185 View Post
Have a 3 inch fan running simultaneously when roamio basic and plus are being used both boxes cool like the fall brezze
I'm on the look-out for an old 12v phone charger and computer fan for just that purpose.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #36
topangajack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You are still wondering because it is clear you do not recognize that a TiVo is always recording. So, most of your tests are measuring nearly the exact same activity , and not marginal additional activity.
Always recording? You're right. I did not know that. I wonder why the Tivo tech didn't mention that? Instead, he expressed puzzlement as to why it was generating heat even when "inactive" [his word].

Last edited by topangajack : 05-31-2014 at 11:48 AM.
topangajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

I can agree with most of that. I do have some concerns with how easy it is for the intake and exhaust slits to clog, and the choice of fan they used. Could they have found a cheaper, louder, and more inefficient one?

As loud and annoying as all three of mine have been since day one, I'm often tempted to source my own fans. I can't imagine tolerating what they will likely sound like when the bearings begin to go dry/wear out... IMHO, I just don't find the ratio of noise/airflow efficiency to be acceptable.

I use NASCAR-rated earplugs to bed, and can still hear just one running. Hearing two whining away, like mini jet engines, makes for some annoying nights. It's always the first thing I hear when I wake up, and can hear them with the TV volume pretty high, unless I'm watching an action scene.

But, I can hear sounds nobody else can. I can hear compact fluorescent lights with noisy chopping transistors, that nobody else can hear. Turn the light off, and I don't hear it anymore...
I can hear any TiVo easily from 15 feet away in a quiet room. Every DVR is loud as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately I only have a TiVo mini in the bedroom now which is fanless. Although I don't mind the fan noise in the DVRs as much since its consistent. It's the hard drive noise that is bad. Especially with older hard drives.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by topangajack View Post

Always recording? If you say so... I wonder why the Tivo tech didn't mention that? Instead, he expressed puzzlement as to why it was generating heat even when "inactive" [his word].
If they weren't always recording there would be no way to have a thirty minute buffer for each tuner. Anything you watch from a tuner is being read from the hard drive, after it was written to the hard drive first.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 AM   #39
leiff

I keep the top lid of my roamio basic off and have disabled my fan. As shown in temperature settings my temperatures have stayed the same l and I now have a silent Romeo.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Don't you still have a platter hard drive? Unfortunately they are not silent.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #41
leiff

I'm using the stock hard drive. To me the fan noise was far more offensive than thehardrive sounds. The fan was a constant high pitch whine. Harddrive sound doesn't really bother me
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #42
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I'm using the stock hard drive. To me the fan noise was far more offensive than thehardrive sounds. The fan was a constant high pitch whine. Harddrive sound doesn't really bother me
Same here, except not using a stock drive. Fan noise far more grating on my nerves than any noise the WD Red NAS 3TB drive I am using ever makes.

I can hear the fan 12 feet away, with earplugs in. I have to use my left ear 4 inches away from the drive to hear it over the whining of the fan.

Now, put two of these in a small bedroom, with all hard surfaces, except the bed. I used to have four Premieres and two TiVoHDs in the same room, and wasn't bothered at all...

Things like this never get a consensus. Everybody has different ranges of hearing, differing sensitivity, and so on...

I've seen pages long segments of threads where the same drive is "silent" to some, "loud as hell" to others, and "just right" for the rest. Same goes for fans, and so on...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-03-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo/context
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #43
topangajack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

....I can hear the fan 12 feet away, with earplugs in.... Things like this never get a consensus. Everybody has different ranges of hearing, differing sensitivity, and so on...
Lol! Ain't that the truth! And what's "hot" to me is "a little warm" to someone else.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #44
JimPa
S3 owner/user

picture quality

Sorry for hijacking this thread but are any of you DIY calibrators (with meters and software) and have found that the color on the Roamio is close but still off and at times you get what looks like bit rate loss probably due to compression?

The exact same settings are used on my Dish 722 DVR's input on my Samsung 64F8500 and the antenna input on this display and the picture looks better.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #45
topangajack

Jim, that's WAY out of my area of expertise, but I'll venture a wild guess that it's a matter of your Samsung having a better tuner than the Roamio. Hopefully, someone who actually knows something about this will chime in

BTW - Interesting question - (and though I don't know the rules or etiquette on this forum regarding theadjacks, I certainly take no offense).
Old 06-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #46
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread but are any of you DIY calibrators (with meters and software) and have found that the color on the Roamio is close but still off and at times you get what looks like bit rate loss probably due to compression? The exact same settings are used on my Dish 722 DVR's input on my Samsung 64F8500 and the antenna input on this display and the picture looks better.
Calibration has nothing really to do with it. You're talking about the broadcast technology being used, and the quality of it (compression, etc from cable QAM, DISH's satellite RF modulated MPEG2/4 and OTA ATSC).
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #47
JimPa
S3 owner/user

For clarity....I'm referring for off air reception from 3 different devices...coming through Tivo compared to Samsung F8500 off air tuner compared to Dish 722 off air tuner. The F8500 and Dish 722 off air tuner are very similar in picture quality with more color gradations and what appears to be slightly more accurate color when compared to the Tivo. This is with a traditional calibration. Although I've been doing LUTs calibrations as well, I've not compared the 3.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

Every device is different. You have to do a basic calibration and then tweak it to the specific device. Even two devices that are the same model can have slight differences.

I had been getting professional calibrations since 2001. Usually once or twice a year. I always waited until I added a bunch of new devices before I got a new calibration so it could be tweaked for each device. I do the calibration myself now, but I'm not trying to do all the specific devices like in the old days. Especially since I have too many of them. So I get the basic calibration done and then tweak it better for my BD and media players.